Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion in Assassin's Creed | Forums

Assassin's Creed has lots of references to religion and the Gods. Well, even though I am not very religious myself, I just love to hear about it, see it, experience it.

I liked the paintings of all the religious references in the AC2 game, and how so many things in the series mention religion.

I'd much prefer an Assassin's Creed with much heavier religious reference.

Altair: "God had nothing to do with it, I was just the better fighter."
    Richard: "Haha, you may not believe in Him, but He believes in you."

Well, the more religion you include, the greater the chance of controversy. which raises the possibility of the game being cancelled..soo yeaahhh...but i do like your idea though dont get me wrong, I'm actually a christian pastor..i love the game.!

Originally posted by TJByrum2:

I'd much prefer an Assassin's Creed with much heavier religious reference.

Altair: "God had nothing to do with it, I was just the better fighter."
    Richard: "Haha, you may not believe in Him, but He believes in you."
    I don't really care specifically to have more religious references. I do like the one you quoted (almost perfectly) - which is one my favorite quotes by Altair. Another one of his that echoes that - "not fortune, but skill". And in AC2 Mario says something along the same lines as well - "not sorcery, skill". If anything I like the willingness that the characters have to stay grounded in reality (or the sci fi reality of AC) rather than attribute things to gods or other mystical occurences.

And the game makes it pretty clear it doesn't consider religion much too important. With that said unless it's for a specific reason, I'm not sure just throwing in religious references for the hell of it would do anything for the game.

Yeah, I forgot about all that controversy crap. I hate it when people make up the stupidest stuff about a game.

I am partially a Christian, which means I simply believe in Him, but I necessarily worship him as I should. But even though I am a Christian I do not care if a person is Satanic, Atheist, Buddhist, etc etc... they can still be a potential friend.

Anyway, I do like it when they mention Biblical references. Another quote I liked was the Pickpocket mission on AC1. It was like one guy saying something and telling the other "The Bible says...(((something)))..." And then the other guy says "Actually the Bible doesn't say that, it says...(((something)))...".

"God helps those who help themselves"
    "Actually the bible states quite the opposite"

Is what they say.

I am a Christian and i don't take any offense to anything.

I actually find it very interesting because it shows us other people's beliefs and opinions of God

Originally posted by Altaezio:
    Well, the more religion you include, the greater the chance of controversy. which raises the possibility of the game being cancelled
    Actually that's what they said about Modern Warfare 2 and Mass Effect, but it just brought more attention to the games and they sold even better.
    Originally posted by TJByrum2:
    I am partially a Christian, which means I simply believe in Him, but I necessarily worship him as I should. But even though I am a Christian I do not care if a person is Satanic, Atheist, Buddhist, etc etc... they can still be a potential friend.
    If only the entire world could be like that...

If only the entire world could be like that...
    Thanks. I try my best to be a better person. It was only about a year ago when I began to change. I use to be this asshole of a person, didn't care about anyone but myself, someone you'd punch in the face.

I've changed, I've come to love everyone, or accept the fact I have to if I don't want to.

-----

Yes,

"God helps those who help themselves"
    "Actually the bible states quite the opposite"
    That one is it. It was weird how the Pope, Borgia, didn't believe in Religion (but he was a Templar anyway). What made me like Altair is when he told... Tamir I think "People should be free to believe whatever they want." I think it was that...

Jubair al-Hakim, actually:

Jubair: Why? Why have you done this?
    Altair: Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree.
    Jubair: Then what?
    Altair: You of all people should know. Educate them, teach them right from wrong - it must be knowledge that frees them, not force.
    Jubair: They do not learn, fixed in their ways as they are. It is an illness, for which there is but one cure.
    Altair: You are wrong, and that is why you must be put to rest.
    Jubair: Am I not unlike those precious books you seek to save; a source of knowledge with which you disagree? Yet you are rather quick to steal my life.
    Altair: A small sacrifice to save many. It is necessary.
    Jubair: Is it not ancient scrolls that inspire the Crusaders? That fill Saladin and his men with a sense of righteous fury? Their texts endanger others, bring death in their wake. I too was making a small sacrifice. It matters little now. Your deed is done... and so am I.

Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
    Altair: Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree.
    [....]
    Altair: You are wrong, and that is why you must be put to rest.
    That conversation right there illustrates the thinking-maturity used in the storytelling: i.e., the contradictions we all use to justify what we believe is right and wrong.

Altair addresses this very point in the Codex Pages in AC2 and, imo, is an example of what made Altair a much more interesting character than Ezio. Altair used his experiences to learn about not only the human psyche in general, but, most importantly, his own psyche.

Ezio, otoh, at least in the storytelling, barely reaches the "Killing, what is it good for?" question. Altair showed the ability to be reflective, whereas Ezio never seems to be more than a reactionary.

That's what I think AC2 lacked; they only brushed slightly on the 'Creed' part of 'Assassin's Creed' and only half (maybe 2/3) of the 'Assassin' part.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast