Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book Movies dont play :-( | Forums

Ok puzzler for ya guy's. My mate just got URU and i got a few controls sorted for him so everything was really cool at moving around, then we worked out the first part and when we got to the first book, no movie, just a static garbled screen. So we patched the game, also media player 9, graphics drivers, hell just about everything is right up to date. But there seems to be a faulty codec or something on his system as he did once say he couldent watch a couple movies. So does anyone know what the correct codec is, how to find out if it's the right version and if possable how to patch it if it's out of date. DirectX i beleave is at either 9.0a or 9.0b, does this matter? I built the system and it's never been a problem so i can only think it's software, current spec's:

Athlon 1.4gig
    512meg 133 memory
    Windows XP home edition
    Sound blaster live value
    Geforce FX5600 128meg (Dabs value, works ace)
    Media player 9
    DivX 5
    Quick time (unknown version, probably 5)

I'v checker DXdiag and no problems detected, the game is perfect in playing everything else, the intro cyan movies play no worries, it's just the books dont play, comments or help please. I just need to keep the poor lad happy. Thanks for any comments.

D-S
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Ok puzzler for ya guy's. My mate just got URU and i got a few controls sorted for him so everything was really cool at moving around, then we worked out the first part and when we got to the first book, no movie, just a static garbled screen. So we patched the game, also media player 9, graphics drivers, hell just about everything is right up to date. But there seems to be a faulty codec or something on his system as he did once say he couldent watch a couple movies. So does anyone know what the correct codec is, how to find out if it's the right version and if possable how to patch it if it's out of date. DirectX i beleave is at either 9.0a or 9.0b, does this matter? I built the system and it's never been a problem so i can only think it's software, current spec's:

Athlon 1.4gig
    512meg 133 memory
    Windows XP home edition
    Sound blaster live value
    Geforce FX5600 128meg (Dabs value, works ace)
    Media player 9
    DivX 5
    Quick time (unknown version, probably 5)

I'v checker DXdiag and no problems detected, the game is perfect in playing everything else, the intro cyan movies play no worries, it's just the books dont play, comments or help please. I just need to keep the poor lad happy. Thanks for any comments.

D-S

Book movies?

What're you talking about? Unfortunately, the linking panels in Uru don't move. So I really don't know what you're seeing.

Please clarify - what does a static garbled screen look like? What exactly did you click on to get to the first book, with no movie?

For reference, see maztec's excellent 'Hardware/Software Technical Support Guide' at http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=t...1034&m=1161008.

Did you kill all of the unnecessary programs running in the background before you did the Uru patch and driver, etc., reinstalls? In particular, having a virus scanner running in the background can mess up an install, and the installer may not tell you about it. Also, were all of the updates from fresh downloads, not something you may have downloaded 'recently'?

Are your video drivers the latest nVidia version, or from the graphics card manufacturer? I'd strongly recommend nVidia's version 52.16 (delete old drivers, reboot, install latest drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_52.16 ).

I've had problems with DirectX 9.0a, which disappeared upon installation of 9.0b. You can download 9.0b from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en.

Did you perchance also reinstall your Sound Blaster drivers (delete old drivers, reboot, install latest drivers from http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/ )? Before or after the Uru problems? The sound drivers may not be the problem directly but could be causing a conflict with things video, and sometimes the order in which drivers are installed can make a real difference.

Lastly, try renaming (not deleting) your Uru install directory, reinstalling Uru per defaults, then starting the game again. Try it with and without the version 1.2 patch, but kill all of the unnecessary programs running in the background before patching (and before reinstalling Uru).

Heimdall

[This message was edited by Heimdall G on Tue June 08 2004 at 09:47 AM.]
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Ok, first bare in mind i have no idea how far in the game he was, etc. I beleive he's at the start with the hole in the ground (big desert area with no go around mountain), we found all the hand symbols and went through the final door by the tree in the underground section. This led down to a link book, in all the other versions of myst (yes i'v played them all) the books show a movie of the next world, it was the charm that made it all so much more real. These books appear on screen but the window were the movie part would play just comes up with junk, it's everything from pink blocks, to green blocks etc. Just like it's not started the movie. We did carry on to the new age through the book and after falling off the cliff (hay had to try it, lol) we came out of the building to find 4 new books in stands, i only tried 1 and again it dident play anything, at this point we stoped playing. So we know when the bug is fixed, hopefully he hasent done any more and gone further, but it's not to hard to get there again. I'll have to wait and find out what version of directx he has install. I really cant remember, either way i'll take down the redist package and if needed reapply that at 9.0b. He did download the latest graphic drivers and installed them himself (nVidia 52.16), but he reported to me last night that that hadent helped either. We do use PC-Cillin as our virus checker and it's never been a problem to any other game in the past, so i'd be suprised if it caused anything this time. Also the fact he said he's had movies not playing in media player sugests it's not the installation of the game, as he only got it a few days before the weekend. Hadent thought about the sound card drivers, although he may have updated them himself, mind come to think of it, i did download a huge 50meg SB pack when it was done for XP, there may be a newer version, dunno without checking what he has etc. Anyway, thanks for the idea's, i guess no hint as to what media codec the movies use? What associated versions of dll's i could check to see if there present or correct version? Thanks for the idea's

D-S

Book movies? You mean the animations of the linking books' pages? Uru doesn't have book pages that animate like Exile. (If that's what you're talking about.)

How about a screenshot of the blocky/chunky stuff?

Like everyone else has said ... definetly no animated linking panels in Uru (yet).

- - - -

An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS - The censorship free place to be.
    Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
    Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.
    - - - -

An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS - The censorship free place to be.
    Password Protected Clan forums available upon requ

Ok, here's a few snap shot's i managed to get my mate to take, i'v had to shrink them to half size, he plays at 1280*whatever should that be of interest. There on our company web site so only look if you need to, there in a folder of there own so dont go playing around peeps, cheers. I'd like someone to now explaine to me what these are if there not the start to movies?? They always had been movies in all other version of myst and it just wouldent BE myst if it wasent the same again in this version. Comments please :-)

http://www.dolphindigital.co.uk/uru/Uru2a.jpg
    http://www.dolphindigital.co.uk/uru/Uru3a.jpg
    http://www.dolphindigital.co.uk/uru/Uru4a.jpg

Now THAT'S odd! Those books are supposed to be completely static images... well, unless they used one image for a linking book, and just inserted the static image of the age on top of it...

Has he tried reinstalling and then patching? It's possible that the graphics for the seperate ages got corrupted somehow. You weren't running a virus scanner when you installed, were you?

(P.S. If you haven't seen us say it yet, I'll say it again... There are NO MOVIES in the linking panels in the books in this game, sorry. I wish there were, and I hope there will be soon, but there aren't any at the moment... Most of the panels have too many variables to show a movie unless you want to download about ten movies per book.)

I have to admit though, the first time (and even now) I saw those pics, they definitely reminded me of a QuickTime movie gone bad. WEIRD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast