Foreward: This was redone because the old posts are now quite old and its time to bring these things back up to the spotlight. So I stole Ideas from a lot of you, some are of my own design. Do not flame just explain. Furethermore, this isn’t a Times article, besides having written a great deal of this well into the night I don’t think the vast majority of forum goers would care or even notice the horrible grammar and or spelling contained within this post. Other than that, enjoy!
First off, I love you Ubisoft. Ubisoft has provided an enormous fan base with several excellent games that have stolen days if not weeks, if not years from our lives : P However I must say I, after about two weeks of Endwar obsession have decided that I am disappointed. Endwar is a fantastic game, but in the end is a flawed gem. Despite what I read Ubisoft has decided about this particular franchise (its not worth pursuing) I believe different. This game has enormous potential for big bucks and great fun but it simply isn’t polished. Now, from the time of this post (2/15/09) there is a patch due sometime soon but as far as I know it is just to mend some pretty frustrating glitches. So now to the point, I have been reading a lot about what people would like to see in this game on several different forums and posts but they are spread out, long winded, and several are just not thought through, so I decided I would comb through, pick out the most reasonable Ideas and bring them together. This, I hope will increase the chances of Ubisoft looking over and seriously considering the communities suggestions.
In order of importance, I introduce to you the stones the will pave Endwars road to greatness! Duhdadaduh!
-FIX THE GLITCHES PLEASE
-Population- Due to a horrible release date, poor and misleading advertisement, and glitches Endwar is not the game it should be. One solution, although I do not understand the complications, is combing the PC and 360 community. If this is not possible, I strongly believe that if Ubisoft will consider and implement at least some if not all of the following suggestions then the community will grow quickly.
-Unit toughness should be scaled after being downed, three stars should not be as easily killed as recruits. If this is already implement please make the change more dramatic. But the ease with which I kill a downed legendary astonishes me.
-Completely custom battalions are unrealistic. However they can be a lot more customizable then they currently are-
1. Camo- if not completely customizable should be enormously increased in variety and ease of change. What I mean in variety is that team mates, especially those that play together a lot should be able to recognize each other’s units on the battlefield simply by their unique camo. What I mean by ease of use is that in the battle prep screen while selecting units one should be able also select the camo the wish to use on that map. i.e. arctic for winter maps ect. The camo selected in barracks would simply be the default. Even more you should be able to make several of your own camos so you have unique variations for different environments.
2. Names and Such- Battalion names? Yes please! It doesn’t matter how complicated this is make it happen, this slight addition will please many, many players. Call signs on the other hand are more tricky. I would prefer to have set call signs but be able to call them by these call signs on the battlefield rather than make my own call signs…but maybe that’s just me?
3. Talents- No not WoW, but maybe something in the vicinity. Each unit type should have 3 or 4 special branches to choose from. These branches would vary from faction to faction but stay relatively along the same line. XP would accumulate talent point just as winning battles accumulates money. However, delving into one branch would lock the higher tiers of the other branches thus preventing any super units and increasing the use of strategy in deciding what to use. Some examples might be a medic branch, a sniper branch, or an assault branch for riflemen. For Engineers perhaps they should be able to specialize in killing a specific type of vehicle or making them tougher to have a better chance against rifleman (although never quite their equals). So you get the idea right? (this is one thing Ubisoft really missed the mark on, people LOVE to be in control, and when they don’t have that they feel like something is missing. -TO Be Clear- These talents would be very slight changes for a very slight edge in specific situations. These would by no means upset the Paper Rock scissors mentality. It just means that an engineer fully specced to fight other infantry (when at full health) would defeat a half health rifleman if they are in equal cover. Also bear in mind that when i say fully specced i mean it should take weeks to get them absolutely maxed out.
4. Gear- Why not? Allow selection of uniforms, helmets, belts, boots, visors, guns (just a skin change, nothing overly complicated). For vehicles allow turret skins, track skins, different rotor looks ect. Just another addition that will convince that person sitting on the fence to get the game.
5. Motto- Options please but creating your own will only result in too many stupid ones…seriously…ten year olds are not to be trusted in this matter.
-The Situation Room- I think it is very clear to everyone that everything from the wonky map and the way territories are conquered to the horrible matchmaking and the infamous “bar” of whose winning and losing needs to be completely revamped. Enough said.
-Maps- One of my biggest pet peeves is reveling in trashing the JSF in their home territory of Chattanooga and then having to defend the same exact map in the Alps. This just ruins the mood. Each territory in the TOW should have unique terrain. Period. Furthermore, as already mentioned, the wonky ToW map needs to be revamped to fight all territories, no more “back territories” that are never fought over. I realize this would take a great del of work to fix but it needs to happen, obviously some places will be fought over a lot but at least let the rest get action more than once every 50-70 turns. I think it should be UB’s goal to make sure there is conflict in every single UNIQUE territory one the map during the course of an average length war, and through different wars change what kind of battle is fought there. This may lengthn the war but despite what you hear people, especially on this game like the bloodshed so draw it out a little bit, just be sneaky about.
-No more Magic Cam- This may frustrate people but if it applies to everyone this would be better all around. All units when viewed from their point of view would show literally from their point of view…helmet or cockpit and all. This would greatly increase the intensity (and difficulty) of battles and also increase the roll of the command vehicle. Perhaps viewing vehicles from the cockpits is too much…but maybe not? (maybe you should just get a view from the turret of your gun the you can use independently, limited but not ridiculously hard?
-Weather- Absolutely. This would vary the game in so many ways how was it not put in the unpolished version released in November? Also possible negative and possitive effects for the weather?
-Grid the Map- I understand Ubi wanted to make the command vehicle useful but the map should be divided into 32 (maybe more?) grids allowing you to send your units to a grid without seeing it and allowing you to barrage a grid with artillery. Obviously the artillery fire would do less damage since it would be less concentrated hitting such a large area but this minor addition alone would add volumes to the tactical depth of the game.
-Do not break up parties because someone needs to run to the barracks!- enough said in topic title…
-Brains please- Units when ordered to do something should proceed in the most logical tactical manner without micro management.
-Conformation of WMDs- Select target like normal and then confirm with “Fire” or “Cancel WMD” commands.
-End Game Content- Stuff to buy after all the upgrades. Most of the ideas on the forums were just not balanced, I was thinking something the long of stuff just for fun since the people at the end of the game have so much of an advantage already…Rare customization options perhaps?
-Ranked Relations- It seems a lot of people would like to see ranked related matchmaking. Personally I don’t know if this is necessary.
-Conformation- ON everything that doesn’t already have audio feedback conformation. Upgrading uplinks ect…
-Say Cheese- Camera for UAV for those great battlefield Kodak moments.
-3v3- Why not? Also…why could a friend not replace an AI commander mid game?
-Bigger, better explosions- Level three for the JSF is called MOAB. In real life this bomb has a blast radius of a mile. This obviously wouldn’t work in Endwar but the point is it shouldn’t look like a big firework.
-Showing Brass- Should one not see his opponents(s) rank and record before the battle?
-Penalties- There is a somewhat heated debate over this in the forum and I can see both sides of the issue. I believe a compromise is most logical. If AI bots are even no penalty. If you fight with an AI bot on your team no penalty. If you fight a team with only one AI bot, ¼ penalty, two AI bots ½ penalty ect. As for quiting cut the command score out of the equation of CR and implement a desertion penalty roughly half the command score value as for XP award half the XP so far accumulated. Sometimes oyu just half to go, but for the most part you should oly sit down to play a game if you know you can finish it.
-Choice of deployment for units- It is unrealistic and sometimes very frustrating to not be able to deploy exactly who you want when you want.
-Air Cover- A support you should be able to use on a unit on the same skill as airstrike that protects a unit from the level of airstrike that the air support was upgraded to.
-Gallery- Better replays, pics ect…
-Player Count- Please when online show the numbers of each player in each faction and where they are fighting. (part of wonky ToW revamp)
I hope some of these ideas from the community are considered and I really hope to get some dev feed back or at least acknowledgment. I want to give a big thank you to the community for all the ideas and yes I will try to keep this list as up to date as possible s people don’t have to scroll through pages to see the good ideas.