Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AC Revelations - Ezio's language? | Forums

Assassin?s Creed Unity Season Pass Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Co-Op Gameplay Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Co-op Heist Mission Commented Demo [US]

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 3

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Just something that occurred to me:

Revelations marks the first time Ezio has been outside Italy. What language will he use to communicate in Constantinople? Surely most people there don't speak Italian, and since Ezio has never traveled outside his own country before, he's never had the need to learn another language.
    Sure, there were a couple of missions in Brotherhood where you went to Spain, but since you were fighting Cesare's armies, it made sense you could understand what they were saying, after all they were Italians too.

In AC1, Altaïr could most likely understand Arabic and English. Whenever you encountered German, Turkish or French soldiers, their dialogue was not translated, meaning Altaïr probably didn't understand those languages. It seemed realistic that not everyone around you "magically" spoke your language.

Ezio, so far, has always been surrounded by other Italians. In the Revelations demo we see Yusuf talking to him. Does this mean Yusuf speaks Italian? Why? Or does Ezio speak Yusuf's language? If so, where did he learn it?

Spoiler: 

"I am your superior, in both title and ability;
    you should know better than to question me."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Just something that occurred to me:

Revelations marks the first time Ezio has been outside Italy. What language will he use to communicate in Constantinople? Surely most people there don't speak Italian, and since Ezio has never traveled outside his own country before, he's never had the need to learn another language.
    Sure, there were a couple of missions in Brotherhood where you went to Spain, but since you were fighting Cesare's armies, it made sense you could understand what they were saying, after all they were Italians too.

In AC1, Altaïr could most likely understand Arabic and English. Whenever you encountered German, Turkish or French soldiers, their dialogue was not translated, meaning Altaïr probably didn't understand those languages. It seemed realistic that not everyone around you "magically" spoke your language.

Ezio, so far, has always been surrounded by other Italians. In the Revelations demo we see Yusuf talking to him. Does this mean Yusuf speaks Italian? Why? Or does Ezio speak Yusuf's language? If so, where did he learn it?

Spoiler: 

"I am your superior, in both title and ability;
    you should know better than to question me."

Constantinople was a major trade center during the time and their main trade partner was the Venician Republic. Anyhow, it is very possible that Italian is widely used.

Yeah like medcsu11 said, the Italian city states of the time were extremely powerful throughout all of europe and that area.In Constantinople, venician currency was even being used so it's def very plausible that many people there would have spoken some Italian.

In the gameplay demo:

Ship Captain: You are... Ezio Auditore?
    Ezio: Si. Sorry for the delay.

(Cue epic music)

Anyway. He clearly says "si" there, meaning he's speaking Italian. Whether this is deliberate, or the devs are still thinking in AC2/B mode, is anyone's guess.

"Order. Purpose. Direction. No more than that." -- Haytham Kenway

Since Constantinople is a central trading hub, then there might be several languages spoken in the game. However, it's hard to say if Ezio has learned several languages or only speaks Italian, but my guess is on the former.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SixKeys:

Ezio, so far, has always been surrounded by other Italians. In the Revelations demo we see Yusuf talking to him. Does this mean Yusuf speaks Italian? Why? Or does Ezio speak Yusuf's language? If so, where did he learn it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you point out yourself, Ezio travels to Spain at the end of Brotherhood, which is not in Italy. The army Cesare commands at Viana is Spanish, not Italian.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jakob4242:
    Since Constantinople is a central trading hub, then there might be several languages spoken in the game. However, it's hard to say if Ezio has learned several languages or only speaks Italian, but my guess is on the former. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We know he speaks some French so it wouldnt be out of the question he speaks some of something else. Although in the demo, Yusuf wasnt speaking Italian or anything else. If I had to pick, I stick by my earlier idea that being a major hub, Italian was prevalant.

I think that he speaks Turkish with an Italian accent and some Italian words thrown in. So to us, he sounds pretty much the same.

An Assassin leader sounds like someone who would learn lots of languages.

Constantinople was the crossroads of the world at the time, with Italy being a major power at the time, so Italian was likely spoken among some in the city at the time. Or perhaps even English? Who knows.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast