Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your fighting style? | Forums

So... as I've watched people play the game, I've noticed that there are several quite distinct styles of fighting. We went to great effort to make the combat system be as expressive as possible, so that each player could find a style that fit them, and that seems to be working... but there are some "themes" that pop out for me.

For example:

- The Samurai
    This player's default position is with the (A) button firmly pressed, and the sword held in front of them like a shield. They move carefully around the battlefield, watching their opponents, cat-like. If they see a chance, they'll take a few potshots at their enemies... and then leap in with a flurry of counter-strikes, leaving their opponent dead, and then they quickly return to holding (A). A powerful stance.

- The Conan
    This player has no interest in their guns or the (A) button. Each enemy is an object to be smashed into tiny little pieces, as vigorously as possible. Generally, "dashing" is used to quickly close the distance between themselves and their soon-to-be-pulped target, and for little else. These players tend to tire out the fastest - but MAN they have a great time getting there.

- The D'Artagnan
    This player also tends to keep his thumb on (A), but he keeps his WiiMote pointed at the screen, like a rapier. Watching this kind of player play is like watching a cat play with a mouse - they *flick*, *flick*, *flick*, making little cuts on their foes to prevent them from being able to attack... and then WHAM! They finish them off. This player also seems to enjoy The Tiger a great deal - the style is often all about controlling the enemy.

- The Gamer
    This kind of player almost literally ignores their health bar. The only thing they care about is maximizing their combo cash returns. Every step and attack is calculated against optimizing the attack vs. $$ ratio, and they are the first players to discover that it's more profitable (often) to use the *wrong* type of combo against a "finishable" enemy, in order to extract a few more attacks out of them before they die.

So!! I'm curious (and not just academically - it's actually useful data for me - what fighting style(s) do you guys use? Do any of the above styles describe you? If not, what is your personal style like? What's working for you? What isn't? I'm interested in all the detail you have time and/or the interest to share.

-Jason
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I am definitely the samurai. I always hold A and wait until I see an opening. I usually use the matador followed by quick slashes and finish them off if I can. Then I go back holding A to face my next foe. I also use the Tiger because it's very useful.

I think I fit all for them to be honest rofl! Still, the motion control for the sword get's really wonky and imprecise if I do it too fast. Then again, my sensor bar has taken quite a beating lately( it keeps getting knocked down when I move the TV to connect cables. Still, no cracks on the outside of it. I wonder if it can get damaged on the inside. *shrugs*) Any suggestions?

I've only played for a few hours, so I think my style hasn't yet developed to its fullest. At the moment I'm somewhere between Samurai and Conan. I will block (especially when there are gunners firing at me), but for the most part I try to dive in and cut down as many foes as I can. This does lead to getting shot quite a bit, so I tend to try and target gunners first and then take my time having fun with the sword guys. My sword arm is pretty used to the exercise, so I automatically spam heavy attacks about 80% of the time. The poor Jackals fall over real easy, and I'm left thinking "hey, get up! I want to hit you some more!"

When I first started, I only ever accidentally used my gun in combat. That is to say, my mind was fixated on the sword combat, and I would forget I had a gun. A couple of times I'd accidentally press B instead of A to block (I blame Wii Sports Resort), and shoot the guy in the leg. Mostly I would use the pistol to shoot crates and sheriff stars. It wasn't until I took my first break that I thought, "maybe I should *shoot* the gun guys?"

Personally, I would have liked a "Practice" mode as well as the "Training" mode. You know, a sparring partner you can't actually kill, but can practice moves on? One could argue that all those Jackals are there to practice on, but it's harder to remember specific moves in the heat of group combat. I think a one-on-one sparring partner would help ingrain the moves.

I'll let you know how I'm doing by the time I finish my first play-through. ^_^

My style is the man w/ no name meets Sanjuro from "Yojimbo". Wonder what this means? Ever play Devil may Cry? Samething .

@Stiny: your sensor bar is probably fine - inside, those things are just two infrared lightbulbs. Not much to break or go wrong in there.

If you do a *lot* of violent movements, you can get ahead of our "resynchronization" code that is constantly trying to keep the Motion Plus calibrated. We spent a huge amount of time getting this right, and even still, you can "desync" the WiiMote if you are too... "vigorous".

If you start to feel like your motions aren't getting picked up correctly (like the WiiMote is confused), just point the WiiMote back at your sensor bar for a second. You'll see the targeting reticule "click" back into place, and you should be good to go.

Let us know if that works for ya!

I'm certainly the type of player who ignores his health bar and is looking for the most cash out of a fight. That may be why Payne killed me like 4 times... and why I've literally died over 20-25 times my first play through.

I also make it a point to break EVERY possible thing I can in the game for the cash... and pleasure.

Caldera is a really rich town... they have $500 in cash just sitting in garbage bags on the street.

Let me stick that topic guys

Wuzzi
    twitter.com/UbiLeak

Originally posted by the_darklorde:
    @Stiny: your sensor bar is probably fine - inside, those things are just two infrared lightbulbs. Not much to break or go wrong in there.

If you do a *lot* of violent movements, you can get ahead of our "resynchronization" code that is constantly trying to keep the Motion Plus calibrated. We spent a huge amount of time getting this right, and even still, you can "desync" the WiiMote if you are too... "vigorous".

If you start to feel like your motions aren't getting picked up correctly (like the WiiMote is confused), just point the WiiMote back at your sensor bar for a second. You'll see the targeting reticule "click" back into place, and you should be good to go.

Let us know if that works for ya!
    I'll definitely keep that stuff in mind! thanks dude!

*edit* controls are wroking much better now Had a blast playing last night!

My base is the Samurai, but I throw in a little D'Artagnan in order to accomplish the Gamer.
    I usually open up with a longe-range headshot, and try to dodge everything. Blocking is a last resort. Then I usually like to rely on my sword so I don't waste ammo, make sure I've got the battle under control so I can milk out what I can before laying waste to my enemies
    --------
    Fudge tacos and Jell-O luff! You can read English!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast