Thread: Digital delay vs Analog delay | Forums

Digital delay vs Analog delay

I need to get a bigger pedal for my pedal board to fill the mold, what is the difference between digital delay and analog delay? I rarely play clean and I'm playing through a Blackstar HT-5 Metal.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Analog vs digital circuits. There are nearly endless numbers of each. You'll just have to figure out which you like.

I've never heard of someone looking for a pedal by size, but heck why not. Get yerself a big ol' Russian Big Muff.

Minky's Avatar Member
    I am no expert and am happy to be corrected, but I believe - broadly speaking - analogue pedals have a sound of their own which is dictated by their analogue chips, and their sound is often described as warmer and more natural. However their maximum delay time will usually be quite a bit shorter the digital.

Digital pedals can have much longer delay times and many sounds programmed into them, meaning they are generally more versatile. The output is more pristine and transparent, however some people don't like this as it can be 'too perfect' - although this seems to be less of an issue with the latest pedals which give you plenty options to make them sound more analogue.

Basically if you're not sure what you're after, or you just want a pedal that can do a lot go digital (the TC Electronic Flashback 2 is a good choice, but there are many others). But do check out some analogue ones to – you might just find the sound you're after (I particularly like the Catalinbread Adineko).

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Ooops, I missed the delay part, how I got distortion out of this I'll never know.

+1 on what Minky said.

Minky's Avatar Member
    You may have missed the 'delay' part, but that Russian Big Muff is pretty damn cool –*even the box looks great!
     1 people found this helpful

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Delay effects seem to be the one area where even old-school-ers hold digital circuits in higher regard than analog. I'm sure there are folks who prefer analog for their particular sound, but digital is pretty widely seen as musician-friendly.