Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Update - sinking ships (05.05.04) | Forums

This week's update focuses on sinking ships. Silent Hunter III's damage system relies on the detailed modelling of ships and physics: destructible internal structures and equipment influence the behaviour of damaged ships and how they sink. For example, a vessel hit in the bow will go down bow first; a hit to the ammo store will set off multiple secondary explosions.

<div align="center"><table border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5">
    <tr>
    <td></td>
    <td></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

View the screenshots

</div>T

Edit: bad link

[This message was edited by Thunak on Wed May 05 2004 at 09:32 AM.]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

This week's update focuses on sinking ships. Silent Hunter III's damage system relies on the detailed modelling of ships and physics: destructible internal structures and equipment influence the behaviour of damaged ships and how they sink. For example, a vessel hit in the bow will go down bow first; a hit to the ammo store will set off multiple secondary explosions.

<div align="center"><table border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5">
    <tr>
    <td></td>
    <td></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

View the screenshots

</div>T

Edit: bad link

[This message was edited by Thunak on Wed May 05 2004 at 09:32 AM.]

Great stuff! Really amazing.....

I love this one (the deck gun ):

http://www.silent-hunteriii.com/ss/s...stern_comp.jpg

PS: Would be good if you wrote the date above the screens when they got added.

Wohoo! Finally you can break the back of a ship again which haven't been in a subsim since the days of AOD! This game is starting to look better and better.

These are looking great. Breaking into more than one piece is looking good to. I wonder if we submerged under the surface as it went down the two parts might drift apart as they go down ? Will Gun turrets fall off if a battleship turns over before sinking, that would be a really nice effect for those that like to watch them go down from a 3rd person perspective.

Really great stuff develpment team!!

I think too few companies understand now days how important stuff like weekly updates and screen shots can be!

Keep it up, this SHIII is starting to look really great.

ps. My favorite was the tankers back bone crunching, havent seen that in a while
    AMD64 3200+ @ 2.6g
    Asus A8V mobo (1009 bios)
    1g Kingstong HyperX DDR400
    Ati X800XT @ XT PE
    300g SATA hdd

Excellent damage models! It has been a while since a sim bothered to come up with such detailed damage models and never have they been displayed with such near photorealism!

I think I'm falling in love.

-Elfego Baca

Looks amazing!

Will there be (burning) oilslicks I wonder?
    U-Boot Spezielles Cocktail

Oilslicks, is a bit of a Hollywood myth.

Most Merchant vessels, were "Coal" powered, and the oli lubricants for the engine(s) were sealed, and usualy in an internal compartment.

With exception, of course to tankers...

On the other hand, warships, were primarily diesel powered, but again, destroyers were thin skinned (no additional armor plating on hull) and when struck by torpedos, the damage inflicted, was usualy fatal, and in most recorded incidents, the vessels in question, often sank within 5 minutes, only leaving flailing survivors, in a debris field of floatable materials.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast