Thread: Map browser screenshots | Forums

AW LOST SOLDIER's Avatar FC Elite Member
    Click on my profile for Fc5 xbox club details

Map browser screenshots

Ubisoft can we please have larger and higher quality map screenshots for viewing in map browser when a map is clicked on for info. but keep thumbnails small. a good map screenshot can really sell a map.

Fallen-Champ's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't think that's a good idea at all on the In Game Browser - it sounds good until you try and look through maps in the browser, the images sometimes take 10 mins or longer to load up.
    This isn't my connection I have virgin cable and the speed is quite good, I think they would need to speed up image times because using the same method bigger images of better quality would take even longer to load.

Also have all platforms with consoles been by far the worst.

Take a look at this site which Steve Botter runs below.

Maps.FarCry.eu

You can select 1000 maps per page, see how fast those images load in - very impressive.

AW LOST SOLDIER's Avatar FC Elite Member
    Click on my profile for Fc5 xbox club details
    Originally Posted by Fallen-Champ Go to original post
    I don't think that's a good idea at all on the In Game Browser - it sounds good until you try and look through maps in the browser, the images sometimes take 10 mins or longer to load up.
    This isn't my connection I have virgin cable and the speed is quite good, I think they would need to speed up image times because using the same method bigger images of better quality would take even longer to load.

Also have all platforms with consoles been by far the worst.

Take a look at this site which Steve Botter runs below.

Maps.FarCry.eu

You can select 1000 maps per page, see how fast those images load in - very impressive.
    I dont mean the thumbnails, i mean once you click on the map to see the info we should get a larger high quality better image than we have in past fc games.

i corrected my original post, sorry for the confusion.
     1 people found this helpful

Fallen-Champ's Avatar Senior Member
    Sure why not it's a good idea like you said you can tell a lot from a screen image, often I see one and join the map if it looks good but as mentioned it is a small pic so hard to see properly.

In the map info we should be allowed to have more thumb nails of more pictures. Maybe like a option for 4 extra pictures for a map? It give justice to some maps. Heck my Shipment map ya probably barely think it was COD4 map until ya played it or read my posts on the forums. Heck my Sewer Raid map picture doesn't do the map justice. Showed a long sewer corridor below the streets under ground. Or heck maybe a 15 second clip of testing it out.
     1 people found this helpful

Steve64b's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Fallen-Champ Go to original post
    Take a look at this site which Steve Botter runs below.(...) You can select 1000 maps per page, see how fast those images load in - very impressive.
    Ironically, the site gets the map thumbnails straight from Ubisoft. The devs for some reason severely limit the download speed ingame, which causes thumbnails to load slowly, and even maps to download in 30 seconds instead of just a couple. I know that having to wait for something adds value, but 40 seconds for a map, and then also waiting for it load into memory is a bit too much IMO... Removing the speed limiter would be key to establishing the FC5 editor IMO.

Originally Posted by GRAW2ROBZ Go to original post
    Maybe like a option for 4 extra pictures for a map?
    Having that would also allow people to abuse some of those pictures for some comments, like set up a story narrative or tips for playing the map. So it's a win-win situation!

Sabotur's Avatar Senior Member
    Yes, once you click on a particular map to have a look at it in more detail then its just that map info on screen.

That would be a good place to have a higher resolution screenshot. Most of the screenshots on that page in I have to walk right up to my TV to try and figure out what its a picture of.

The idea of adding narrative or a description of the map on the Info screen would also be a benefit. However, to add narrative for a storyline, I feel this should not be on the Info page but rather come on after starting to play the map. Sure, have some general info about what sort of level it is on the map info page, but I would prefer a proper Intro for our maps so once you click PLAY it then loads up the start of the story narrative if there is any. Similarly, it would be good to have an Outro, so once you have completed whatever objectives the map has, another screen where narrative can be added by the author.

If an Intro/Outro is to be added, which would be fairly easy and awesome for mappers, I would suggest allowing a fair amount of text (maybe a few A4 pages worth) so we can really outline, the background, the story, the objectives and for the Outro be able to link it to another level we have created with the option of progressing to the next part of the campaign.