A good place to get a feeling for UE4 from are also their content examples. You can download them from the launcher -> marketplace. There are also many other free demos.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ntentExamples/

So I opened the engine and started messing around with a first person template. I had a couple questions though as I don't really have time to do tutorials now while I work.

1. How do you import the DEM file? I downloaded the main one I wanted. It is titled South Twin Mountain and is in Grafton County. You mentioned a program called VUE to convert the DEM to an image, but it is a couple hundred dollar paid program.
    2. When it comes to the area I ultimately want to do, it appears that the area is split between two adjacent DEM files. Is there any way to combine the two. The final version may involve things like roads, trails, streams, etc. Once the terrain is down I would have to do these as well.
    3. When hiking in the mountains you might notice that as you get closer to treeline, the trees change. They become sparser and smaller. There is also a greater number of dead trees. How do you flag parts of the terrain mesh to generate differing types of terrain?

-k

You do it like this:

1. You do not import the DEM directly, but UE4 needs it to be converted to 16bit png image format. Vue is a professional tool and I import the DEM there, it exports 16bit tiff and then I convert this to 16bit png using ImageMagick. There must be also free solutions available with some googling. But do not worry, I can very quickly do it. It takes only a few minutes.
    Here is the south twin mountain.DEM converted to 16bit png for Unreal Engine. The edges are weird in Webgis. I removed them with the UE4 landscape tool for the Hike&Climb demo..
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_g...ew?usp=sharing

2. Either you simply use two landscapes and bring them close to each other in UE4, which will potentially leave some sharp edges at the transition because the heightmaps do not go smooth into each other. Or you manage to get into photoshop or any other programm that can handle 16png and merge them there, But this is generally a tricky thing.

3. That's the artistic part. (that I did not do yet for the hike&climb demo). For trees, you would create multiple procedural foliage spawners, each with different scales and denstities. After they did their procedurial work, you would go into the foliage tool and paint/erase manually until you are happy. Actually, maybe it is even possible to tell UE4 to consider density/scale vs. height in one procedural foliage spawner. I have to look that on up.
    Instead of trees, you can use simple spheres and cubes to test all this. Also the underlying material textures would ideally be matched to height (less greenish the higher it gets,....).

Alright, I just checked height dependent scale/density. Did not find anything. So you need multiple foliage spawner for different heights. I tried on the my test file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_g...ew?usp=sharing

It has a procedural foliage spawner set up now. Scattering Foliage in UE4 is either done manually with the foliage tool (top left, the leaf symbol) or automatically using foliage spawners. To check out the spawner, go top right in the list to find it, then scroll down its details panel until you see 'resimulate'. Press it, wait a bit and there will be scots pines and cube/sphere dummies scattered on the terrain. You can edit/delete them then with the foliage tool (top left corner leaf). Quite simple, it is for artists really.

Thank you for the converted file. Unfortunately I haven't had time this weekend to really get into it. I'm only online at the moment to send my timesheet in as I have to be on site tomorrow at a drilling project. I will definately check it out.

-k