Originally Posted by HoxoTron Go to original post
    Still besides the point though. They are literally selling colours for money and its only going to continue if people keep supporting that. We may not "need" to paint our gun purple but that doesn't mean we should have to pay for it if we do want to. I like to compare this to something like Rainbow Six Siege. Colours may not be up everyones alley but they are optionally available for in game earnable currency. Also I consider solid colours to be kind of the essential default skin for weapons. Like the thing you would have available at level 1.

I miss the days when we played to win. Not paid to win.
    The problem, in my opinion of course, is that now a days people (or the majority, the ones UBI & Co. go after) don't play to have fun but to rack up on their social media skillz or just play dress up so they look l33t on the internet. Not that there is anything wrong with it, to each his/her own but these Companies spend millions of dollars learning what makes the masses tick and we, the ones wanting to play to win, end up with the short end of the stick.

Originally Posted by Gmoneymaster24 Go to original post
    I'm an older gamer and I miss the days where you were able to unlock things. It seems the unlockables of the past are now all micro transactions. The thing is, you have to fight hard to not support the pay model. Too many people pay up for it so it makes sense for companies to keep pushing it.

You know I'd like to unlock new clothes and gadgets with season play but paying for any of that is ridiculous.

I'd really like to rock the WW2 helmet and jacket but I'm not paying for that.
    Again, my opinion of course but, back in the days when shooter games were about, erm, well, "Shooting" we did not care about cosmetics or gadgets but capping heads and taking names (so to speak). Today, shooters are all about looking pretty while you go open up a can of whoop ass on some baddies.

The issue is that while that may have some cool effect, it does not last long and even those who love to play dress up get bored and want to get in into some action but find out the devs spent all of their time in making the cosmetics look good but the game play not so much.

Look at the forum, it is full of "What the game could have been" from everyone... fanbois and hardcore.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by HoxoTron Go to original post
    1200 credits to buy a pack of solid colours for my guns. Or something as simple as a magnum pistol. After buying this game when it came out for full price I can't help but feel insulted. This is the kind of thing I would expect to see in a free to play game.

I feel nobody is talking about this and just blindly accepting the fact and paying for something that really should have been in the game to begin with. Why isn't there a renown system like in rainbow six siege instead? At least that way paying to unlock content would only be optional if you want the complete package to start with.

And before you say things like "its only cosmetic" etc that besides the point. If you pay full price for a game you should be able to at least paint your gun blue or red. Something you could literally fill bucket tool in paint is now premium content.

Some of us gamers aren't made of money.

Rant over.
    Why would you want a blue or pink weapon? As for all the weapons and accessories you can get. I have all of them free from finding them in the game. Only thing I don't have or want is the stupid colored skins. Which is totally kid crap anyway. A real soldier would never paint his weapon blue or red or pink. Way to stupid and looks like you are a kid playing COD Black Ops III.
     2 people found this helpful

The excuse made by every company that employs micro transactions is that you don't need to buy them... but... they also employ huge incentives to get people to buy them, even to the point of making it so difficult and/or time consuming to get whatever you're after in game. Often people will just think screw it and fork out the cash. There's also the types who just fork out all the time and think nothing of it. In a way, you can't blame the companies. If we were running multi-billion dollar companies and had thousands of staff to pay, we'd do whatever we could to make money. Plus, despite all the negatives companies like Ubisoft get, people still keep buying their games (myself included). So on one hand they hear all the hate, the next they see all the love (via profits). It must be confusing for them, lol.

The fact remains that if we, the consumer, want the practices of microtransations, DLC, un-tested product, constant updates and patches, then we have to vote with our wallets. I jumped into this thanks to the millions of dollars worth of advertising Ubi paid for. I love open world games and truly thought this would deliver. Sadly it missed out on so much potential and the DLCs just made it worse. However, lesson learned and I'll go back to buying my Ubi titles 6 months to a year later, even waiting for the Game of the Year versions which have everything included for half the price. If you want it to change, you have to do the same. Hold off on having that new game on the day of release. Wait out for 6 months or a year (or longer).. Send a message to the companies that we want full finished complete working games for our money... and we do not want microtransactions.

That said though, I doubt it'll change. For the handful that complain on here, thousands just carry on handing over the money. Just look at GTA Online - a perfect system in place to milk everyones cash, if they want. So many updates that offer so much but take so long to get, so buy a Shark Card. You can't blame Rockstar as that system alone has netted them over a billion, just on microtransactions (something Rockstar said they would never do... until they started making money on it). If we want it to stop, then we're the only ones who can make it stop.

I dont mind microtransactions if priced reasonable, Project Cars or Asseto Corsa i can buy a pack of cars for £3.99 for 5 cars in AC and £7.99 for 10 cars in PCars but Ubisoft charge us £15.99 for a single car in this game! £15.99 FOR A SINGLE CAR!!!!!! Ubi's prices are insane and they same to be getting worse. Soon they'l be asking for that $200 that they are desperate for for single item purchase.

Yeah I think buying a car pack on Project Cars is the equivalent to a DLC as you get a different driving experience + the pricing is resonable.

I agree with KingSpawn1979 about missing the console days. I'm a middle age guy and I remember NES and Sega Genesis etc. and back then a game was produced with no bugs, flaws, updates, and such. True there were a few glitches here and there but typically most of the game was playable and what you got was the finished product. I mean, imagine playing Castlevania on NES and having to wait for an update and a patch? Or waiting for DLC that would add Dracula to the game? It sounds silly. But that's how it is these days. I guess we have to accept that because everyone has internet connection as opposed to previous decades.

As for DLC, I fought the DLC concept for years. Additionally I only purchased games one year (or years) after it had been out so I usually got a "game of the year edition" that included everything. Sometimes I did receive new games as birthday or Christmas gifts from my wife (I'd rather receive a $60 video game, otherwise she'd spend even more money on stuff I really don't want, like expensive dress pants and shirts that cost $100 or more, I'm really happy with my cargo pants and jeans). Anyway the point is that I always tried to be thrifty about buying games and content. I think the only brand new games that I ever purchased were MGSV and The Witcher III, both totally worth it (although I still didn't buy DLC).

As for Ubisoft, I'm a fan of the Assassins Creed series but I always found the DLC to be something that wasn't worth the price, i.e., it should have been better content or just plain cheaper. But I was always happy that I never paid for it and that it was part of the "game of the year" edition.

With all that said, when it came to Ghost Recon Wildlands, this was the first time that I actually preordered (after enjoying the beta) and I got the Gold Edition. First off, the Huntsman pack was junk so that's $10 wasted, and then Narco Road was... well you guys know. So that's another $15 wasted. I did enjoy Fallen Ghosts, but it's like I paid $40 extra just for Fallen Ghosts. Also, with Wildlands I actually purchased some of the store items. I bought a vehicle pack, and the thermite pack, and the weapons packs.

All of the above may sound contradictory but I rationalized it for my own personal reasons. First of all, between work and wife and kid and other responsibilities, one of the very few things I have to relax is gaming (and exercise). Additionally, a lot of my friends and even family will go out to eat or go to a bar every week. I don't do that every week. I live in New York so that stuff can cost $50-$200+ to just go to a bar or restaurant. I'm still social but simply make home visits to people I want to see. I also got rid of cable tv and I have SlingTV and Netflix. My point here is that I choose to spend my money wisely for the most part. But most notably, I think about how years ago I used to go to arcades (such as Dave and Busters) and spent so much money on food, drinks, and arcade games, and you're forced to put money on a card that you can't get refunded for, for the remaining amount.
    Additionally, I spent five years playing Future Soldier and then after E3 2015, I eagerly awaited Wildlands. I promised myself that if the reviews were good, I would actually buy myself a shiny nice NEW game after years of being so thrifty about video games. Fortunately I liked the beta, and I preordered Wildlands (a new experience for me). I play single player and co-op online with a good buddy of mine, we both happily paid for the Gold Edition and figured we would support Ubisoft for making a great game. So anyway, this is my personal reason and rationale for buying these extras for Wildlands. This is one of those rare times that I broke my rules and preordered, and got the season pass, and bought micro transactions, because unlike with all other games, the release of Ghost Recon Wildlands was a big event for me, one that I was willing spend money on.

Now does that mean that Ubisoft is being fair about it? Personally, I think not. I mistakenly thought the season pass would last a lot longer and let me get a lot more, including the extras in the store. Even then I thought "Okay then, fine, I have to pay for those extras and I can support Ghost Recon", a title that I like. But then Ubisoft ends up catering to the wrong people.

As much as I don't mind them selling stuff for clothes and for vehicles, I do think they are offering the wrong things to the wrong audience. I like the assortment of clothes that's already in the game, it's great to have camouflage options and Ghillie suits, but make no mistake, I'm here for the weapons. I still can't fathom why Ubisoft offers junk such as overpriced British Invasion T-shirts (for hipsters) when they should be selling add on weapons and attachments (to long time Ghost Recon fans), such as those guns in Tier 1 that some people may not want to grind for, as an example. How about along with the silly 70s vehicles pack they also offer a serious Smoke Grenades pack or Long Range Variable Magnification Scopes pack? These are the things I'm waiting for but I don't think they get it. I'm all for fun and silly but how about more serious things too. Silly and fun for me (as a Ghost Recon fan and not as a hipster) would be the Future Soldier Tech blue glasses, or Magnetic vision, or even Sensors. These things would be fun, Ghost Recon themed, and optional, so you could still play hardcore if you want to. And if they catered to me first (as a Ghost Recon fan) then I would be more willing to buy even the really silly things like British t shirts for hipsters (I have nothing against England or hipsters by the way lol). Ghost Recon fans should be first in line, not hipsters.

And I can't even understand why the store packs themselves are so limited for the amount of money they're asking. You get a shirt, and a tattoo, and a patch. Or a re-skinned gun and a patch. Stuff like patches, tattoos, and shirts should be free as a thank you to all the people who bought the game. Hell, when you're playing the game you can't even see the patches or tattoos. But even if they have to sell it then why not have thirty shirts for the price they're asking. How about 4 shirts for a dollar? Then they could increase the inventory as well. Because even if you wanted to buy shirts, there's not much selection. I think more people would buy from the store if it was reasonable prices with more inventory. And more serious items. How about Unidad and Cartel skins that actually disguise you in game? Or sell us an anti-SAM device? Extra things that could make a difference in the game if you choose to use it.

So here I am, breaking all my principles about DLC, season passes, micro transactions, and I'm willing to spend money in this one rare instance, and even so, Ubisoft really disappoints with overpriced and unwanted items.

(And they really should allow replay with all weapons and skills unlocked.)

Anyway those are my thoughts. I don't expect anyone to agree or disagree with me, it's just my situation with this particular game. I hope it adds an alternate perspective on the topic. I still love Wildlands.

3 people found this helpful

Kean_1's Avatar Senior Member
    Feel free to vote with your wallet but don't expect those "masses" to stop buying a product they want because a relative few are not interested. The only way micro transactions will stop is when the demand is no longer there. I can't think of a convincing argument to make consumers cease the practice for the sake of those who feel MTs are somehow unfair. You still have the choice not to buy the game in the first place if you don't agree with the practice. Heck, I don't like MTs either but I don't see a need to blame anyone.

Having said that, I never buy MTs. Using GTAV as an example, things like Shark Cards represent money that can be obtained by anyone in the game. I don't mind putting in the extra work to get the money needed to buy what I want because the game is fun for me. Shark Cards are just a short cut for those who don't have the patience or will to do it on their own. Personally, I don't think I ever bought a title with MTs where I felt I was being short changed in the main game and content. .....that includes GRW.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by SocomUSNavySeal Go to original post
    I
    (And they really should allow replay with all weapons and skills unlocked.)

Nice thoughtful post. I still resist DLCs personally though. Wanted to comment on selected quote. If you right click on the map (if on PC) you get up an option with missions in that area on the left side. You can select them and replay missions from there. The UI-design isn't very good so I didnt notice it until many hours after I had finished all of them.

Originally Posted by Kean_1 Go to original post
    Using GTAV as an example, things like Shark Cards represent money that can be obtained by anyone in the game.
    I think the number in sales is close to 1 billion dollars in GTAV. Just the store. The game itself has sold for more than 4,2 billion dollars now. Hard for them to stop bad practice when so many spend money on it. Now, I don't think Wildlands or other UBI games are close to that number, but I bet its still very high and it's sort of immoral in a sense keeping the practice going, but Its probably way to hard for them to stop the bad practice when the money is that easy. Sadly enough.

Kean_1's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by KurtRoman Go to original post
    I think the number in sales is close to 1 billion dollars in GTAV. Just the store. The game itself has sold for more than 4,2 billion dollars now. Hard for them to stop bad practice when so many spend money on it. Now, I don't think Wildlands or other UBI games are close to that number, but I bet its still very high and it's sort of immoral in a sense keeping the practice going, but Its probably way to hard for them to stop the bad practice when the money is that easy. Sadly enough.
    Immoral or a bad practice in what way though? I guess that's my point. I don't like micro transactions either but that's where the argument ends for me.

If a game is so void of content as to not warrant the purchase price (and the publisher is obviously relying on people to fill that void with MTs), I simply don't buy it. ....but I don't think it's unfair if others feel a value in that same product or model. That's not immoral or bad practice IMO.

If there was a situation where (just for example) a weapon provided another player an unfair advantage in PvP but was not available unless you buy it, then I would likely see the point (depending on the situation). ....of course, I'm talking about a full game and not something like War Thunder ("free to play"). ....but that is not the case here.
     2 people found this helpful