Thats alright Stormin, I just speak from my personal experience and I suppose generalizations are not always accurate. It's all good. By the way your new sig is in the works.

T-Bone

Biohazcentral Staff
    23rd VFG: Assistant Training Officer

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
    -Thomas Jefferson 1776

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stormin:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Ramair74:
    You should try to get a hold of AFCadet. I believe he is currently at the Air Force Academy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFACadet, not AFCadet. Two completely different people.

I apologize, I forgot an A in there, I did mean AFACadet, sorry guys.

Oh, also, hope your eyesight is good enough.

Bitter? Yeah. :\

(Here in Canada, you need 20/20 uncorrected. No LASIK, no PRK.)

FatBoy_190th's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T-Bone_:
    By the way your new sig is in the works.

T-Bone

http://www.x-plane.org/users/12thiaptbone/sig3.jpg
    _Biohazcentral Staff_
    __23rd VFG: Assistant Training Officer__

_"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
    -Thomas Jefferson 1776_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought I was the sig master - lol

contest t-Bone??

nVidia Omega Drivers v1.4523a
    AMD XP2600+ o/c 6.5 x 333 to 3000+(2.2gHz)
    eVGA FX5200 Ultra o/c 430/800
    512 Kingmax PC3200/400DDR
    SHUTTLE AN35N Ultra nF2 Audio/Lan
    WinXP SP1
    Saitek Cyborg2000 (crappy)

I can speak more for the Naval ROTC side of the house, but here is what I know about both programs:

1) Major: AFROTC has specific scholarship slots for specific majors (heavy engineering). If you change majors I believe you need approval and/or reapply for the scholarship. NROTC likes engineers, but you can fly just as easily with a degree in Business.

2) GPA/SAT - both VERY competitive. However, if you don't get the scholarship right away, you can join the College Program and drill with the unit. You can compete for scholarships by performing well in college, and regardless of scholarship status you still receive the commission upon graduation.

3) Private pilot ticket - doesn't matter for pilot acceptance in either service. Knowledge and airwork may help in flight training, but your efforts are better expended in academics.

4) Odds of pilot selection - At least when I went through, it was much easier to select aviation on the Navy side of the house. My class graduated 50% aviators (including yours truly!). The same AF class graduated closer to 10-15% (just going from memory, anyway).

5) Academy Prep Schools - Are geared more for minorities and/or quality athletes. Additionally, I know the Navy has a program called BOOST, which is geared towards ROTC (top 10% grads have the option of going to Annapolis, but I'm not sure if the AF has a similar program. If the other options don't pan out, at least look into this.

Drop me a line at madgonzo@hotmail.com if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps.

-Don
    USC NROTC Class of '94

Good luck on getting into academy to become a pilot.

I wish I could. But Unfornately, only one thing they will turn me down is that I am Hearing Impairment. my childhood dream flying a JET never will come true.

O-Well. That's life. whoever are a real pilot of these jets, Give me a ride in navigator seat. yeah Pentagon wouldn't let me except my dad to get on F 16B ( two seater ) and all he do is shoot these pictures on other jets from the canaopy seat. Lucky isn't he.

again, Good luck with your future career to be a US AF pilots.

169th_Maximus

169th_Maximus
    US Navy Virtual Blue Angels
    Backup Pilot #7

169th Panther's Squadron
    Pilot Officer

And for a taste of how competitive it is in ROTC, here is a recent email I recieved.

Cadets,

Recall my words "the difference between good and great is about "this"
    much?" ......................Col (ret) JC Mann, previous Det 165/CC and
    current Deputy Registrar at HQ AFROTC, provides the following food for
    thought.......................

Just did a little analysis on the latest Rated Categorization Board
    and confirmed what I briefed to the pilot hopefuls at NATCON two years
    ago:
    It is IMPORTANT to do your BEST ALWAYS.

Competition for pilot slots is very keen.

The Order of Merit (OM) difference between the last select and the
    first non-select was a mere 0.034.
    If the non-select's GPA had been 2.97 instead of 2.96,
    he/she would
    have been selected.
    If the non-select had done ONE MORE PUSHUP, that 3 extra
    points on
    the PFT would have added enough to raise the OM to "make the cut"
    instead of "being cut."
    If the non-select had received another full point for Field
    Training
    performance (up 1/3 in flight ranking), he/she would have been WELL
    ABOVE the cutoff; in fact, 49 full positions above the cutoff.

That's why it is ALWAYS important to do your best.
    A 500 PFT at camp 2 years ago does you no good on the rated
    categorization board, if you are taking it easy and cruising by with a
    295 PFT just before categorization.
    Scoring well on one more homework or one letter higher on
    your final
    exam might make the difference in bringing that C+ to a B- and make
    that 0.01 difference in your cumulative GPA.

If you've done YOUR BEST and still don't make it, then it "just wasn't
    meant to be."

Wouldn't you hate, though, to WONDER for the rest of your life whether
    pushing for that last achievable pushup or situp or sprinting from
    that last turn to the finish line would have made in the difference in
    your selection for a pilot slot?!

This lesson applies not only to pilot slots, but for all competitive
    phases of your Air Force life, including promotions.

- - JCM
    J.C. Mann
    Deputy Registrar, AFROTC

T-Bone

Biohazcentral Staff
    23rd VFG: Assistant Training Officer

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
    -Thomas Jefferson 1776

I don't think my eyes are getting any worse ATM. If my eyes get a little worse between now and the end of college and it goes above 20/70 are my chances for a pilot slot completely shot? They will NOT give you PRK above 20/70?

I know at least one member of my family who has 20/20 vision after having vision far worse than 20/70 (it was BAD....).

Hello Wanna Be Pilot

I was an Air force pilot years ago and would be glad to share some of the information that permitted me to be an Air Force pilot.
    Timing is everything, and it is looking good for you. Currently the Air Force is 1,500 pilots short and we have the threat of war on the horizon.

Health: As a general rule, the more the Air Force invests in you, the more forgiving they will be of defects.
    I fortunately spoke to a Navy pilot, who told me to walk on water. So when I and another fellow went to Minot ND for my physical, I denied any and all illnesses, and the fellow I was there with, admitted to having hay fever and was eliminated on the spot. For any medical problems I experienced in pilot training, I would go to an off base doctor.

Education: Other than having an aeronautical degree, which would help you getting into flight test, the Air Force was not interested in what you were trained in.

During pilot training: Despite the fact that the Viet Nam War was still ongoing, 50% of the cadets in my squadron washed out. Some of them were my friends, and even though they were putting out 150%, they didn’t have what it took. Pilot training was very challenging and I would recommend laying off liquor, so you are at your best.

Finally: If you were working for a corporation at twenty-one, you would be lucky to drive the company car. As a pilot trainee, the Air Force trusts you with a multimillion aircraft. Besides training on solo flights, I loved destroying puffies, (small fat clouds). To blast though them at 400 knots and then roll over and seeing the carnage was a lot of fun.

Hopefully some of what I have shared you will find helpful and please let me know if you have addition questions.

Terrence Johnson
    jpminalaska@gci.net