Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DLC on multiple systems. | Forums

Yeah I would consider getting a PS4 eventually, but there is also another issue. I played through the PS3 to tv (LG) with an HDMI cable, and everything worked nice. But I have since moved and bought a new tv (Samsung), and now with the HDMI cable I get a lag that makes it unplayable. So I bought a little box to plug optical out from PS3 to 5.1 speakers, and still a lag. So I drove around town to get the PS3 components out and an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to go to the box, and STILL a lag! Is there a way I could have known which tv would be able to play it with no lag? So now it's unplayable. If I then go to the trouble of buying a PS4 and hooking it all up to find its STILL unplayable, my head would likely explode! Can you assure me it would actually be playable with no lag on a PS4?? (I realize this gets off topic of DLC to laggy setups... maybe you can redirect me for that)

However, on the Steam account, there is no lag at all and it plays so much faster, and its so much easier to control with the mouse and keyboard.
    Last edited by aschneid42; 05-24-2017 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Out_of_tune View Post
    The DLC does cost Steam, Sony, Microsoft money to deliver. The file takes up space on their servers. The database that stores customer data on who has purchased it takes up space on their servers. They also have to pay for their internet service to provide access to their servers so you can download it. The server space and bandwidth does not magically appear for free out of nowhere. And yes every time Steam or Sony or Microsoft generate a Code or assign the DLC to an account they have to pay ubisoft so it does in fact cost them money to duplicate it.

Of course they "just don't want to" They are all businesses that are in business to MAKE MONEY. Why would any business purposely loose money?

Really not sure why people think that because it is not a physical disk etc that it costs nothing to duplicate and deliver. The product takes Physical space on a physical server that requires physical routers switches fiber optics etc to deliver. All of that infrastructure costs money to build run and maintain.
    So then I should be able to get the DLC songs off of my PS3 HD and copy them over to my computer for Steam to access, and maybe convert them with some utility file. Then this wouldn't require any extra server storage space from Sony or Steam. They would maybe just need to share a list of the songs I've purchased if they really wanted, but since I have them, I must have purchased them, no? I mean I don't think that all the song files are actually stored on their servers and every time I start up the game it has to download them all before I can play them...

The Steam game, dlc, profiles, and game saves, are stored locally on your PC. This allow playing in offline mode.

The games must be installed on each PC you choose to play them on. It does not cost anymore once the original purchase is made, but you will have to select each game in the library and choose to install it. Once the game is installed, the DLC will download automatically ... AFAIK.

The game saves are also synced to the cloud. The game save sync happens automatically, but can be turned on/off in the settings ... IIRC ... and of course the sync won't happen in offline mode.
    Last edited by rcole_sooner; 05-24-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aschneid42 View Post
    So then I should be able to get the DLC songs off of my PS3 HD and copy them over to my computer for Steam to access, and maybe convert them with some utility file. Then this wouldn't require any extra server storage space from Sony or Steam. They would maybe just need to share a list of the songs I've purchased if they really wanted, but since I have them, I must have purchased them, no? I mean I don't think that all the song files are actually stored on their servers and every time I start up the game it has to download them all before I can play them...
    Why would any rational company share said list with any other company??? This would still require some sort of central database they could all access that would cost money to build run and administer.

The files are stored locally. It does not cost you money to re-download songs It does however cost Steam money, you are still accessing servers they are paying for across a network connection they are paying for.

Steam provides an excellent cloud service ... for "free" .. that sony and microsoft charge for.

But Steam also generates a lot of income by having people use that "free" service. I mean who can resist emptying their wallets at the Steam sales.
     1 people found this helpful

Yeah.
    That would be like Disney letting you buy a movie on iTunes and then let you watch in on Google Play...

Oh. Wait. They DO let you do that.

https://www.disneymoviesanywhere.com/
     2 people found this helpful

Disney is an absolute mad man

Do you really think that you can transfer stuff from a PS3 to Steam? That's not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ghmorello View Post
    Do you really think that you can transfer stuff from a PS3 to Steam? That's not possible.
    The point is that it could be made possible without the previously mentioned overhead costs, if Ubisoft cared about their customers and supporting their product. PS3 and Steam are not creating separate and different DLC, its the song with the same notes, and somehow its digital format is slightly changed. There already exists CDLC out there where people make songs and can easily convert the format from one platform to another. If Ubisoft would make this possible for genuine DLC, I'm sure more people would pay for professional content.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123