Thread: CPU runs really hot while playing AC3 | Forums

CPU runs really hot while playing AC3

Are these kind of temperatures still safe? My cpu (i7 3770k 3,4 GHz) peaks at 84-85 degrees while playing ac 3 but just one core. The other cores are about 74-76. And it's currently 17 degrees outside.

Today is a quite warm day. Yesterday it was only 10 degrees outside and because of that all cores stayed at 74-76.

I just hope it doesn't go to 90's when the outside temperatures go above 20.

strigoi1958's Avatar Senior Member
    Under normal use it should be under 70 degrees. (idling)
    When running a stress test or very demanding software I would expect it to go up to 85 (although I prefer my cpu to be cooler than that). I think intel test over 100 but say critical figures over 90 can cause damage. Under 80 should be fine.

If you have a stock cooler... you could always leave the side off your pc when it is very hot. When my pc ran hot I cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner... it was full of cat hairs then I replaced the thermal paste.... it didn't do a lot.. maybe dropped the temp by 2-3 degrees. then I bought a different cooler a Noctua and that lowered the temp to better levels.

My friend installed case fans and his pc was getting hot.... he had set them so they were all drawing air in, none were blowing the warm air out I use a h80 water cooler now... I'm not keen on water cooling but it is very good.

I remember a forum user called jeffies04 and I think he had a 3770k overclocked and he was getting temps in the mid 60's but I do not remember what cooling he had.. perhaps searching his forum name will find some info.

Ok I'm really worried now. I think my cpu got damaged on that day when it was running hot. After a while of playing AC 3 today, I started getting flashing purple graphical artifacts all over the screen and then all the textures became messed up. It has never done this before. And the temps aren't even hot today. It peaked at 71 today.

Don't panic just yet... pc components are a lot tougher than we think... my gtx980 ti overheated a few months ago and the smell of burning was overpowering... I have no idea what the temp was in my case but... not one other component was damaged, just my Gpu...

Now as for purple artifacts... when I was first playing AC3 I had purple artifacts and bad textures and the map was really messed up.. it was the graphics driver... I did a clean uninstall using wagnards DDU.exe (display driver uninstaller) and changed to a new driver.....

Also, in the past there have been a few nvidia drivers that have affected voltage and temperatures of Gpu's (in fact only last month the 381.89 driver fixed the voltage bug in the 381.65). If you are using a bugged driver, it is possible that the increased heat from your Gpu was raising the temp inside your case which might cause your cpu temp to rise.

http://www.legitreviews.com/recent-n...drivers_193984

Originally Posted by strigoi1958 Go to original post
    Don't panic just yet... pc components are a lot tougher than we think... my gtx980 ti overheated a few months ago and the smell of burning was overpowering... I have no idea what the temp was in my case but... not one other component was damaged, just my Gpu...

Now as for purple artifacts... when I was first playing AC3 I had purple artifacts and bad textures and the map was really messed up.. it was the graphics driver... I did a clean uninstall using wagnards DDU.exe (display driver uninstaller) and changed to a new driver.....

Also, in the past there have been a few nvidia drivers that have affected voltage and temperatures of Gpu's (in fact only last month the 381.89 driver fixed the voltage bug in the 381.65). If you are using a bugged driver, it is possible that the increased heat from your Gpu was raising the temp inside your case which might cause your cpu temp to rise.

http://www.legitreviews.com/recent-n...drivers_193984
    Well I haven't had any artifacts for some time now. Perhaps it is indeed a driver issue since I remember the newest Nvidia driver crashed during the installation and it caused Windows desktop to become twisted for a moment. I never bothered to uninstall the crashed driver with any driver removal apps since my games appeared to function normally at that point. I just reinstalled the driver using the "clean install" option of Geforce experience

One thing bothers me very much. I played Splinter Cell: Blacklist today and it was a fairly warm day. Blacklist should be a demanding game and yet my cpu temps were a lot cooler than they were with ac3. So why does ac3 heat up the cpu so much?

I think they use different game engines, ac3 uses anvil. plus the sys specs are higher for ac3. All games use cpu and gpu in different amounts so it is probable that ac3 is more cpu heavy than SCB