Thread: Why An Assassin's Creed: Japan may finally be coming! [Speculation] | Forums

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Originally Posted by zafar123456 Go to original post
    Yeah the American and French Revolutions sure aren't well known..same for the Golden Age of Piracy. Ubisoft has only been doing generic settings since the Ezio Trilogy ended. Most people have no idea about Japan#s history in comparison to America's or European countries
    Haha, fair enough. I think the common argument is that while some of those settings (such as the American Revolution) are common in RTS games, they're not widely seen in in third person action games on consoles. I mean, consider even that we have third person action games featuring sixteenth century Istanbul and the Atlantic during the Seven Years War- it's kinda cool to think about.

Pirate games are pretty common, but generally aren't all that historical (Sid Meiers being sort of an exception).

But I think you bring up a really good point- while games using a Feudal Japan aesthetic are extremely common, they too are generally less than historical. As someone who previously didn't want a Japan game too badly, you've done a lot to win me over with that logic.

JamesFaith007's Avatar Member
    Yeah the American and French Revolutions sure aren't well known..same for the Golden Age of Piracy.
    To be honest, for me American Revolution was quite unknown part of history. In school we only spoke about it maybe half hour? We mostly focus on our own more then thousand years history and rest of Europe.

Charles Lee, Paul Revere, Israel Puthan and many other? Never hear about them before. Battles? I knew only about naval battle near Charleston. Other events? Nothing except Boston Tea Party and Continental Congress.

But f.e. in AC 2 I knew most of historical persons and even recognized Savonarola in first scene where he took Apple. Well known is quite relative when you are speaking about game played around whole world.
     1 people found this helpful

strigoi1958's Avatar Senior Member
    I could accept China more as a setting than Japan given the links between Britain and China, also the chinese Boxers rather than ninja's is less cliche. China has a much more richer selection of famous buildings and landmarks than Japan, like, the forbidden city, the terracotta army, the great wall and the Potala palace... I cannot think of any famous landmarks in Japan. When we look at how the historical landmarks and building have starred in previous games I struggle to think of anything Japan has to offer. Even though I cannot recall any notable Japanese people I can think of Chinese, Confucius, Sun Tzu (anyone interested in military strategy would probably have read his book "the art of war"), Empress Xiao-Qin (sometimes known as Ci-xi) probably the most powerful woman in the world at that time in the most corrupt political setting ever. And Wong Fei-Hung (I only know him from the movie that mentions him ) but I did google this in the spoiler that is quite interesting

Edit Seeing how well the movies Shanghai noon and Shanghai Knights did by putting martial arts in a new setting, I'd have no problem accepting Japanese Templars and Assassins sent to find a PoE or assassinate a famous person in a city with better historical buildings and people, But if you asked 1000 people to name a historical building, events and person, I doubt any Japanese would come to mind but the Taj Mahal, the pyramids, Venice, the Parthenon, Columbus, Magellan, Marco Polo, Vasco de Gama, Shakeseare, Van Gogh, Lenin, Tolstoy, Genghis Khan, Nostradamus, Abe Lincoln, Voltaire, Catherine the Great, Mozart, Beethoven, Cassanova, Leif Eriksson (the explorer not the actor ) Garribaldi, The Fall of Constantinople, Caesar, Nero, Cleopatra, Imhotep, The hundred years war, The Mongol conquests, The American Civil war, Hannibal crossing the alps, The Roman empire, The Trojan Horse would probably all get mentioned. A historical game in a setting without notable buildings, events and people probably is not right, regardless of how well it is liked.

Spoiler:  Show
    Wong Fei-Hung was born in 1847 in the Fushan district of China. He died in 1924 of natural causes. His contributions to modern day Hung-Gar are unmatched, and can be considered one of the forefathers of modern day martial arts. He was renowned for protecting the weak and helping the poor. Wong Kay-Ying was his father, who was a physician and great martial arts master also.. Wong Fei-Hung's father ran a famous medical clinic called Po Chi Lam, and Wong Fei-Hung grew up there, assisting his father. He learned traditional Chinese medicine, and also learned many important values such as generosity and compassion. Wong Kay-Ying always treated a patient, even if he or she couldn't afford any treatment.

The Ch'ing Dynasty consisted of Manchu emperors, who had conquered China from there home in Manchuria. They were foreign invaders to the southern Chinese. The southern Shaolin Temple in ***ien was a place where the resistance would go to train to fight against the Ch'ing. The temple was first burned down in 1734, but the few monks and students who survived traveled across China teaching their skills to others worthy enough along the way. Variations on the Southern Shaolin styles soon emerged such as Wing Chun (Bruce Lee's original style) and Hung Gar Kung Fu (Wong Fei-Hung's style). The father of modern day Hung-Gar was Hung Hei-Kwun (another martial arts master that was portrayed by Jet Li in New Legend of Shaolin).

At first Wong Fei-Hung's father was reluctant to teach him Hung-Gar, but his martial arts training soon began by his father's teacher, Luk Ah Choi. Luk Ah Choi taught Wong Fei-Hung the basics of Hung Gar. After, Wong Kay-Ying took over his son's training. By his early 20's, Wong Fei-Hung had made a name for himself as a dedicated physician and a martial arts prodigy. In addition to becoming a master of Hung-Gar, he created the tiger-crane style and added fighting combinations now known as the "Ten Forms Fist / Sup Ying Kuen", which consisted of the set of 10 individual fighting stances of: Dragon, Tiger, Crane, Snake, Leopard, Wood, Metal, Earth, Fire, and Water. Wong Fei-Hung was also skilled with many weapons, especially the long wooden staff and the southern tiger fork. On one occasion where he utilized his skill with the staff was when he defeated a thirty-man gang on the docks of Canton (Similar scene is Once Upon A Time in China I). He also protected the weak and poor from both criminal gangs and government forces. Wong Fei-Hung, like his father before him was know as one of the TEN TIGERS of CANTON. A title bestowed on the best of the best martial artists of the time.

Wong Fei-Hung's son, Wong Hawn-Sum, followed his father's ways of defending the weak. Unfortunately, he was killed in the 1890's after being gunned down by the gang Dai Fin Yee. After this tragedy, Wong Fei-Hung vowed never to teach his remaining 9 sons martial arts to protect them from challengers seeking fame.

If ever there really existed a true hero of martial arts, a person worthy of that title would definitely be Wong Fei-Hung. This website and online community is a tribute to that great hero Wong Fei-Hung.

RVSage's Avatar Senior Member
    Would be a great setting for a AC game, considering they are going more RPG. Would be fantastic and be the

Well with Last Descendants two covering a bit of China and a AC anime in development I can see this happen but I don't know seems a bit cliche to because NINJAS so long they don't cut of heads I am more oke with I do love somebody finally make a open world Historical Japan game

Also.... as older ac games seem to have been downloading Chinese language packs recently, and China being 25% of the worlds population.... A game set in China might smash any previous ac game sales record from sales in China alone.

Frankly im sick of waiting. EVERYONE wants AC in Japan and there complete idiots for nor releasing it by now. They would make TONS of cash by doing so, the last good AC game was Rogue mainly for the fact that you were fighting against the brotherhood. I enjoyed Unity only for the customization and Syndicate was horrible. But seriously F!@$ing EGYPT!!! What are you going to do for the entire game?! Survive the extreme desert heat!? Seriously theres nothing out there but sand and pyramids! I feel like we already had this in the first game (Middle Eastern Scenery.) Its more or less going to be the same damn thing. I have 0 interest in the Egypt AC and i will not be purchasing.

P.S. Even the background of this web page is 95% SAND!!!

RedSpider's Avatar Member
    Having read the for/against arguments for a Japan setting here, I'm more torn than ever. No doubt, it would be an absolutely stunning game visually; but it just seems rather cliche. I really liked @strigoi1958's analogy about Homer Simpson's car. Sometimes people think they know what they want, and they have this idea in their head that it's the best thing ever; but when it's put into practice, it doesn't work out too well.
    It also reminds me of the old "never meet your heroes" adage. At times, the idea of/yearning for something can actually be better than the actual thing.

If Japan was handled properly, I'd happily eat humble pie. The potential for a great game is there; but due to such high expectations, it could easily fall flat on its face and leave many extremely disappointed.

On a side note, I'd really like to see India/Russia/China in a proper game setting, as well as seeing AC cover more vague/lesser known points in history. They have so much to play around with, there's no reason to run out of ideas.

India and Russia have both been mentioned before and are perfect settings when you consider the famous buildings and landmarks, the wealth of historical periods, wars and political upheaval and some well known people.

By the ''Empire'' Leak next game will be Greece .