Thread: Please rework the melee mechanics. | Forums

Please rework the melee mechanics.

I have no issue with the one hit melee kill, It's just unrealistic. If you don't like the ideas, please don't be rude and hostile to me about it, just simply say you don't agree. Here are some ideas for more realistic melee mechanics.

On minimum armors, knife attacks should do 40 damage to the chest, 30 to the limbs, and instant death to the head. The sledgehammer should do 105 damage to the chest and legs, 80 to the arms, and instant death to the head.
    On medium armors, knife attacks should do 35 damage to the chest, 25 to the limbs, and instant death to the head. The sledgehammer does the same thing as it does to minimum armor characters.
    On maximum armors, knife attacks should do 30 damage to the chest, 20 to the limbs, and instant death to the head. The sledgehammer should do 85 damage to the chest and legs, 60 to the arms, and 105 to the head.
    If they have Rook's armor, 5 damage is taken away from all of these attacks.
    And after all of that, knife attacks should be twice as fast as they currently are.

Now, you could say that this would make knife attacks completely useless, well, I beg to differ. If someone pops up out of nowhere, you could do a quick strike of damage, then start shooting them. Knifing would also be good for finishing off low health players. Like I said, these ideas are not because I think knifing is OP, it would just be more realistic.

Also, two things I didn't mention, were Caveira's punch attack and shield bashing. Caveira's punch is the same as knifing, except it is impossible for it to kill them instantly unless they are the last one left or they have already been revived. Shield bashing is also the same as knifing except headshots do 10 more damage then a chest shot would, instead of instant death, and players can also never be killed instantly by shield bashing unless they were already revived or are the last remaining.

Now, for the next part.

If you come up behind a player with the knife or shield, and hold the melee button for one whole second, then let go, your character will grab them and stab them in the neck, killing them instantly. Caveira's stealth takedown, if in silent step, will down the player instead. You can even do a sledgehammer stealth kill, it works the same as the knife, but has a different animation. Sledge will hit them up beside the head with his hammer, they fall, then he hits them one more time. All of these takedowns can be interrupted if the enemy turns around or you take damage before the takedown starts. The timer before the takedown starts is to prevent players circling around enemies just to do a takedown on them. If you are downed or killed before the part where you stab them in the neck, the player will not die. You can also do this to injured players, players on camera's, and players who are currently doing an action (deploying a gadget, barricading, reinforcing, etc).

It would be even cooler if we could hold the knife out in our hand permanently until we choose to put it away, making knife attacks even faster.

Rofl, uhm yea, this would basically make no one want to knife over shooting, oh and btw, knifing is so buggy and rarely works when needed so eh.

Disagree with the idea entirely. Leave as is.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by TheBlizzardsEye Go to original post
    Rofl, uhm yea, this would basically make no one want to knife over shooting, oh and btw, knifing is so buggy and rarely works when needed so eh.
    In what way is knifing buggy? Also, knifing could be a good last resort if you run out of ammo and don't have time to reload.

Originally Posted by Insevin Go to original post
    Disagree with the idea entirely. Leave as is.
    I much appreciate how you simply said you disagree instead of being a ****** about it. Thank you.

Ubi-Zoro's Avatar Community Representative
    Thanks for sharing these ideas Metalbones!

I have to say I can't fully stand behind all of what you've suggested from my personal perspective as a player, I think I'd get too annoyed anytime the enemy barely survived my knife and I ended up dead.

BUT, I really love your idea of a "Sneak Strike" from behind type of mechanic - it'd be hard to execute in most situations (if very common at all) but man it would be such a satisfying kill! Definitely would expect some extra XP for pulling it off also.

I have nearly 3,000 kills and only 77 of them were melees, with 17 Caviera interrogations, leaving 60 regular melees. So roughly 2% of my kills are melees. (And most of those are on downed players or from behind.) So while I agree with you that the animations definitely could be better, I think it would be a lot of work to redo the whole melee system for such a small fraction of the kills. Not to mention that it would create another whack-a-mole balancing issue.

Originally Posted by NATural22cHANce Go to original post
    I have nearly 3,000 kills and only 77 of them were melees, with 17 Caviera interrogations, leaving 60 regular melees. So roughly 2% of my kills are melees. (And most of those are on downed players or from behind.) So while I agree with you that the animations definitely could be better, I think it would be a lot of work to redo the whole melee system for such a small fraction of the kills. Not to mention that it would create another whack-a-mole balancing issue.
    Nice. For me:

5322 kills
    137 melee kills (18 Caviera)
    2.57% melee kills

Pretty similar. I don't think melee needs anything resembling a nerf, if anything it should be made more viable. Too many times I've had knives miss in situations that should have been hits.

Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    Thanks for sharing these ideas Metalbones!

I have to say I can't fully stand behind all of what you've suggested from my personal perspective as a player, I think I'd get too annoyed anytime the enemy barely survived my knife and I ended up dead.

BUT, I really love your idea of a "Sneak Strike" from behind type of mechanic - it'd be hard to execute in most situations (if very common at all) but man it would be such a satisfying kill! Definitely would expect some extra XP for pulling it off also.
    Originally Posted by Insevin Go to original post
    Nice. For me:

5322 kills
    137 melee kills (18 Caviera)
    2.57% melee kills

Pretty similar. I don't think melee needs anything resembling a nerf, if anything it should be made more viable. Too many times I've had knives miss in situations that should have been hits.
    Like I said, it's not something I think needs a nerf because it's OP, I just like realism in games, and the one hit melee thing is no exception. The fact that you can carry two massive reinforcements with you at all times already annoys me enough.

Originally Posted by metalbones1 Go to original post
    Like I said, it's not something I think needs a nerf because it's OP, I just like realism in games, and the one hit melee thing is no exception. The fact that you can carry two massive reinforcements with you at all times already annoys me enough.
    Thats kind of a get over it deal then. If melee was any weaker it'd be virtually useless. Bet my numbers would be more like 0.5% or less.