Thread: How many patrols in one mission can you do? | Forums

How many patrols in one mission can you do?

I've searched for the answer to this question of mine. But couldn't find an answer. Or maybe I searched for the wrong words. But, In SH4, during the career mode. How many patrols (or objectives), etc... are in one mission. After your patrol is finished (grayed out), can I just keep refitting my sub without actually having to ever dock for the next mission? Or, after a certain amount of patrols will the msg it gives you after pushing the status report button will it tell you to dock for the next mission?

Quote Originally Posted by DynamiteDIE79 View Post
    I've searched for the answer to this question of mine. But couldn't find an answer. Or maybe I searched for the wrong words. But, In SH4, during the career mode. How many patrols (or objectives), etc... are in one mission. After your patrol is finished (grayed out), can I just keep refitting my sub without actually having to ever dock for the next mission? Or, after a certain amount of patrols will the msg it gives you after pushing the status report button will it tell you to dock for the next mission?
    The career Mode in SH4 in designed to reflect the same patrol patterns that the real US subs did in the Pacific in WW II. You go out on patrol and sink enemy shipping and perform any other objectives you are given. You have the option of requesting more objectives. When you have expended your torpedoes or you are getting low on fuel you return to base and can either refit and return to patrol or dock to effect any repairs your sub might need and the youi will begin the next patrol, ect......

Have just restarted SH4 after many years. On first patrol sank ships before reaching yellow patrol icon. Crossed over it a few times and then used all torps (except 1 in the rear for emergency). It didn't change to grey as usual and returned to base to get more torps. (long hike from Pearl to Honshu) When i docked said mission was not completed, nor recognition for 8000 tons and could not get refit of torps (did refit AA ammo though). So I now presume you have to fart around Japan until you get killed or Base thinks you have been there long enough. proficiency obviously doesn't count.
    Comments appreciated and how do I fix refit problem Daimauwr

Hello daimauwr,

You may want to go over to Subsims web site and see if your question has been posted there. Subsims is a lot more active then here.
    You can check out Subsims SH 4 here.

You can just return to base and refit forever with no restrictions. Except that boat upgrades, medals for the crew and some damage repair is only done between cruises. So your boat won't improve and your crew won't improve if you don't end the cruise. That means that you should NEVER refit, except perhaps if you're setting out for Japan from Pearl and want to stop by Midway, see the gooney birds and fuel up on the way. Lotsa short cruises. That's the way to get better.