Thread: Trying to parry attacks is the best way to get yourself killed | Forums

Trying to parry attacks is the best way to get yourself killed

First of all I play mostly Dominion mode where latency is somewhat an issue, I can`t really comment on 1vs1 duel.

So from my experience trying to parry an attack is the best way to kill yourself. You can either block an attack which does very negatable damage or you can run the risk of eating the blow and most likely open yourself up for a devastating combo.

If you successfully parry a attack chances are some heroes have such low recovery time they will land a light attack before you could since you have to wait for your parry animation to end before you attack. Or a heavy parry pushes enemys that far back you have a hard time reaching them in time before they can attack, block, parry themself.

Usually you get some sort of advantage in fighting games if you manage to pull of very time restricted moves. In For Honor you will most likely get stabbed for a successful parry

It is a high risk - low reward situation for the majority, which doesn`t make a whole lot of sense.

A majority of moves can be parry>Gb combos. There are some exceptions to the rule however. With Lb it's not an issue since I mostly for for light ripostes now on heavy parries and always go for either blind justice or impaling charge on light parries.

PK.....well parry into Gb. That's it really. Conq and valk are the same. parry>GB>heavy. For conq it can be a little differnet vs heavies since they can counter attack with charged heavies.

Quote Originally Posted by AcceptYourDeath View Post

Usually you get some sort of advantage in fighting games if you manage to pull of very time restricted moves. In For Honor you will most likely get stabbed for a successful parry

It is a high risk - low reward situation for the majority, which doesn`t make a whole lot of sense.
    Are we playing the same game at all!? A guardbreak after a parry can not be countered, the majority of heros can deal some kind of damage + high/crucial enviroment damage is also an option. In fact, it is so strong, that the whole game is basicly all about to not getting parried.
    Especialy in dominion it is more like a low risk high reward tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Juuzaam View Post
    Are we playing the same game at all!? A guardbreak after a parry can not be countered, the majority of heros can deal some kind of damage + high/crucial enviroment damage is also an option. In fact, it is so strong, that the whole game is basicly all about to not getting parried.
    Especialy in dominion it is more like a low risk high reward tool.
    Because of attack range, it is more difficult to GB after a parry, as you may simply not be close enough. Also because the timing is different to parry a light vs a heavy the slightest amount of de-sync, or input lag means you are eating the attack.
     1 people found this helpful

Quote Originally Posted by sd_fungi View Post
    Because of attack range, it is more difficult to GB after a parry, as you may simply not be close enough. Also because the timing is different to parry a light vs a heavy the slightest amount of de-sync, or input lag means you are eating the attack.
    You should parry if it's possible, but don't try to parry the long range characters(valk, lb, nobushi, shugoki) since they give you no reward. If you are in a really bad lobby with bad latency/ lag, I advise you to just block everything and to not risk it at all (you can also run away if your internet farted in your face whilst fighting a fast character for example PK) .

The only time I said **** it with parrying is when I get the players that like to feint a lot. Typically the people that do feint do it only during crucial moves such as unblockables in an attempt to get you to parry/expose yourself. Easiest way to solve that: Dodge backwards. Kensei you can dodge to the left or right and typically have no issue as long as you know to expect the side heavy from the left while heroes such as Raider you're better off just dodging backwards instead of risking your side dodges...unless you like flaming axes of friendship to the face.

-Signed Lovingly,
    A Raider/Zerker

Quote Originally Posted by Ausweisen View Post
    The only time I said **** it with parrying is when I get the players that like to feint a lot. Typically the people that do feint do it only during crucial moves such as unblockables in an attempt to get you to parry/expose yourself. Easiest way to solve that: Dodge backwards. Kensei you can dodge to the left or right and typically have no issue as long as you know to expect the side heavy from the left while heroes such as Raider you're better off just dodging backwards instead of risking your side dodges...unless you like flaming axes of friendship to the face.

-Signed Lovingly,
    A Raider/Zerker
    That depends on the type of Feint. Some can do a Heavy-Light Feint which they do by activating the light after the heavy. This you can typically dodge backwards. If they feint the Heavy with by using the cancel button they can feint a heavy into a heavy, and if you dodge backwards you can get hit, particularly if it is an overhead.