Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Played Urban Ops today - there is no comparison. | Forums

XyZspineZyX
    I installed Rogue Spear and Urban Ops today, purely because several members of the clan wanted an old knees up, just like the good old days.

Oh, the results were shocking! - Before today, I probably would have said that Rogue Spear was the best online tactical shooter as I spent a good few years without hardly touching any other multiplayer game.

It raised my eyebrows a little, especially as the same people who generally whinge a lot in this forum keep stating that Rogue Spear is so much better than RVS!

As soon as I went into the first game, the controls....ah

remember the unrealistic immediate switch of weapons?

the 'charge up' for the grenade throw leaving you open to attack, and the 'progress bar' when you reload?

the lean left and lean right, in which your feet are glued to the floor and you cannot move?

going into a crouch and moving forward in slow motion?

the PDW. of which the reticule doesn't even budge when you are running at full speed?

One of the biggest differences between Rogue Spear and RVS (apart from the graphics obviously) is the AI. The tango's don't even flinch when their mate standing next to them takes a shot in the head from a sniper round. They eventually see you and take 5 seconds to release their first round.

They rarely move around the levels, and if they do, they bunch up and crouch with their back to you when you have just lobbed a frag in their direction.

Now, I know that graphics don't make a game, but the atmosphere that RVS produces because of the realistic graphics is immense. Although I am a big fan of RVS and don't have any problems with the framerate issues etc etc, it took me until today to realise just how much better it is than Rogue Spear.

The way I see it is, the people claiming Rogue Spear is a lot better must be the people who cannot get RVS running well because there is absolutely no comparison.

Raven Shield is without a doubt, THE best tactical shooter.

It also struck me that a lot of the bad points people are bringing up in these forums exist in a worse state in Rogue Spear anyway. Reticule bloom, speed of changing position, speed of changing weapon etc still exist in Rogue Spear but at the opposite end of the scale, ie change of weapon is immediate, reticule bloom, or lack of it make Rogue Spear far too easy. Looking at the two of them together, I can see now that RVS is far more realistic and doesn't need changing at all.

Bring on Athena Sword, I can't wait.

On the Eighth Day, God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

XyZspineZyX
    I installed Rogue Spear and Urban Ops today, purely because several members of the clan wanted an old knees up, just like the good old days.

Oh, the results were shocking! - Before today, I probably would have said that Rogue Spear was the best online tactical shooter as I spent a good few years without hardly touching any other multiplayer game.

It raised my eyebrows a little, especially as the same people who generally whinge a lot in this forum keep stating that Rogue Spear is so much better than RVS!

As soon as I went into the first game, the controls....ah

remember the unrealistic immediate switch of weapons?

the 'charge up' for the grenade throw leaving you open to attack, and the 'progress bar' when you reload?

the lean left and lean right, in which your feet are glued to the floor and you cannot move?

going into a crouch and moving forward in slow motion?

the PDW. of which the reticule doesn't even budge when you are running at full speed?

One of the biggest differences between Rogue Spear and RVS (apart from the graphics obviously) is the AI. The tango's don't even flinch when their mate standing next to them takes a shot in the head from a sniper round. They eventually see you and take 5 seconds to release their first round.

They rarely move around the levels, and if they do, they bunch up and crouch with their back to you when you have just lobbed a frag in their direction.

Now, I know that graphics don't make a game, but the atmosphere that RVS produces because of the realistic graphics is immense. Although I am a big fan of RVS and don't have any problems with the framerate issues etc etc, it took me until today to realise just how much better it is than Rogue Spear.

The way I see it is, the people claiming Rogue Spear is a lot better must be the people who cannot get RVS running well because there is absolutely no comparison.

Raven Shield is without a doubt, THE best tactical shooter.

It also struck me that a lot of the bad points people are bringing up in these forums exist in a worse state in Rogue Spear anyway. Reticule bloom, speed of changing position, speed of changing weapon etc still exist in Rogue Spear but at the opposite end of the scale, ie change of weapon is immediate, reticule bloom, or lack of it make Rogue Spear far too easy. Looking at the two of them together, I can see now that RVS is far more realistic and doesn't need changing at all.

Bring on Athena Sword, I can't wait.

XyZspineZyX
    Thank you, sir. Very well said.

The examples you provided were immaculate. And to tell you the truth, I myself haven't been able to play Rogue Spear since the RvS MP demo 1.0 was released almost a year ago. There IS simply no comparison. After playing the RvS demo it just became time to uninstall Rogue Spear and it's expansions. There was no way I could go back to them.

Rogue Spear is a classic. R6 is a classic. And when you compare RvS to them in a few years, I'm sure you are all going to say that RvS was a classic, too. You know guys, even with all the headaches this game can cause you, it is STILL a really GREAT game.

When asked is it better to be loved or feared, the Prince replied, "it is far safer to be feared." - Machiavelli

Message Edited on 07/05/0301:44PM by KingofThieves

XyZspineZyX
    Thankyou.

It's strange because I was almost disappointed with Rogue Spear..

Like you said, Rogue Spear was a classic but RVS is in a completely different league.

XyZspineZyX
    Many of my clan still play Rogue Spear on the Zone (no, I don't know why). I joined them about a week ago and whoa, was it strange. First, I felt like I just drank 3 jolt colas running around so fast and what to me felt like out of control. I don't think there is ANY comparison to RvS. I like RvS very much, of course it runs good on my comp. But it's still nice to hear a compliment about a very good game.

www.fao-team.com

XyZspineZyX
    i can still spank firedaddy in chalet winter or turkish bazaar

XyZspineZyX
    The Rogue Spear/Urban Ops map design still eats the RvS map design for breakfast.

XyZspineZyX
    I played Rogue spear for 4 years and i happen to think the maps are 100% better then RVS maps.

I however like the Graphics of RVS better and the gameplay of RVS too.

I like the Guns and Pyhsics of Rogue spear though

P.4
    2.4ghz
    512 ram
    Geforce 4 Ti4800

XyZspineZyX
    Thanks SoCo, you make me feel so good.

www.fao-team.com

XyZspineZyX
    I'll agree the "charging" of grenades was stupid. However, the progress bar when you reload is not much different then the graphic you get now when you are reloading in RVS.

I'd rather have a stationary lean left and right then people running through the whole maps at full speed in RVS in lean mode. What would be ideal would be that you could walk and strafe and lean.

I'll admit the PDW was quite accurate on the run and therefore everyone used it.

The AI was a complete joke in Rogue Spear. I remember how the developers at Red Storm would brag about upcoming expansions and say how "amazed" they were at the AI. Right. You can kill a terrorist and his idiot friend next to him either won't react, or he will run for the hills and just get stuck running into a wall over and over until you walk up next to him and shoot him, or they will shoot you with 1 bullet with only a glimpse in your direction, no matter how far away you are. But, I didn't play that game for the singleplayer, I played for the multiplayer.

You failed to mention the good things about Rogue Spear:

1) You can climb on items like boxes and on stairs. You can't climb anything in RVS and if something is 2 inches high on the ground, you can't step over it, you have to go around it.

2) If you're the host, you can decide who plays on what team, and you can change the uniform colors on the fly. You can't do that in RVS. All the servers are full of server hosts who have to beg people to join the other team.

3) No stupid explosive barrels around in the official maps. I don't know the rationale UBI had for putting these in the game. Must be the same rationale they had when they released Import/Export in the demo and made all the telephones ring when you get near them. I can imagine Jean Luc saying to Pierre, "Hey you know what would be cool???? If we made all the telephones motion sensitive so when people get near them, they would ring!! Oui Oui! That is good!"

4) No serial keys so no need for a cd server. Therefore, you'd never get a "cd key server not responding".

The good things about RVS.

1) The developers actually do patch the game (even if the patches either don't do much, or they break more things, at least they are trying.) In Rogue Spear, they released like 2 patches and released crappy expansions like Covert Ops and Blackthorn. And they ignored the community and cheating in the game by releasing no patches to address the cheating. They never fixed the frag lock bug, which was nice of UBI to import to RVS =)

2) RVS runs on dedicated servers, so your lag doesn't depend on who else is connected. I can remember in Rogue Spear the matches would take forever to start because you had to wait for EVERYONE to sync up. Once it started, you could warp all over the map cause of bad pings or connections caused by your teammates/opponents.

I'll have to take a wait and see on Athena Sword. If I could get it for 5-10 bucks I'd consider it. If it includes a bunch of crappy maps like RVS currently has, I'll pass. Seriously, a lot of those custom maps made by players are far superior to the ones created by UBI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast