Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating 'real' Writers & Maintainers Guilds??? | Forums

I like the concept of Uru/Riven/Myst, but wonder what it would be like if there was an application where people could 'write' their own ages and be able to post the worlds they have created in a central library (like Nexus). Go even further and have the DRC test and issue the DRC approved seal. You open up the gates of creativity with the numbers of people involved in age creation. You could even commission a custom age to be built for you. Maybe create a Guild of Writers where paying for the software to build ages would be your membership fee, with maybe a small yearly fee for Guild expenses (real world stuff). Each person could then build their own personal library.

For example, you can download over a thousand Quake II & III maps, skins & bots. Many other games do so too (Serious Sam, etc). Many games are packaged with editors for the game to allow the user to bring their ideas to life. Giving people the ability to make ideas into (virtual) reality expanded interest in their game(s). I bet it did not hurt their sales either. Sure, you are going to get people that create cheesy worlds, but that is what the DRC would be for. Have a Guild of Maintainers test ages at the direction of the DRC. Charge a small fee for this if necessary. Make it so approved ages could be packaged into future releases or posted in the Nexus/Library.

Of course, the inevitable disagreements would arise between 'Guild Writers' and the DRC over what is acceptable and will get the DRC Seal of Approval. This would lead to a secret renegade underground group of writers that would freely pass out their ages to people. These ages could be an age with just puzzle to solve, or whatever storyline the writer intends. Maybe even danger. Foiling plots against the Guilds or the DRC? The possibilities are endless!!

This could be done. This would really expand interest in Uru. No doubt about it. This game has some unique possibilities in creating a virtual world.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I like the concept of Uru/Riven/Myst, but wonder what it would be like if there was an application where people could 'write' their own ages and be able to post the worlds they have created in a central library (like Nexus). Go even further and have the DRC test and issue the DRC approved seal. You open up the gates of creativity with the numbers of people involved in age creation. You could even commission a custom age to be built for you. Maybe create a Guild of Writers where paying for the software to build ages would be your membership fee, with maybe a small yearly fee for Guild expenses (real world stuff). Each person could then build their own personal library.

For example, you can download over a thousand Quake II & III maps, skins & bots. Many other games do so too (Serious Sam, etc). Many games are packaged with editors for the game to allow the user to bring their ideas to life. Giving people the ability to make ideas into (virtual) reality expanded interest in their game(s). I bet it did not hurt their sales either. Sure, you are going to get people that create cheesy worlds, but that is what the DRC would be for. Have a Guild of Maintainers test ages at the direction of the DRC. Charge a small fee for this if necessary. Make it so approved ages could be packaged into future releases or posted in the Nexus/Library.

Of course, the inevitable disagreements would arise between 'Guild Writers' and the DRC over what is acceptable and will get the DRC Seal of Approval. This would lead to a secret renegade underground group of writers that would freely pass out their ages to people. These ages could be an age with just puzzle to solve, or whatever storyline the writer intends. Maybe even danger. Foiling plots against the Guilds or the DRC? The possibilities are endless!!

This could be done. This would really expand interest in Uru. No doubt about it. This game has some unique possibilities in creating a virtual world.

As I've very opposed to this idea in the past, the title of this post has got me thinking. If Cyan/Ubi ever releases an 'Age Creation Kit', there would have to be a Maintainer's Guild. A group of people who would apply rigerous standards to any ages created by the community.

I, for one, would love to be selected for such a job. Any age that conained inappropriate material or had instabilities of any sort (missing textures, invisible holes, etc...) would be regected until the flaws were corrected. And I would be tough. Nothing gets to me like getting a new module and finding out it was slapped together by someone with very little understanding on how the game is played or how the age developer program works.

For all those who call for an age developers kit, do you think that any age you could create could withstand that kind of scrutiny. If so, then by all means, continue your quest. If not, maybe you should re-think your call for such a kit.

Not to seem abrasive, but the subject has come up many times before. As far as I know, the word from Cyan has always been "No".

Jon deMorgan
    KI#: 1008066
    Safety First' Neighborhood
    Jon deMorgan
    KI#: 1008066
    Safety First' Neighborhood

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance through Geico.

Oh yeah, and the writing/maintaining your own age - still no.

Ain't I a stinkah?

Graham - You FUNNEE!

I'd love to see equivalents of writers and maintainers guilds.
    If it did happen I think it would be a few years away though.

- - - -

An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS - The censorship free place to be.
    Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
    Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.
    - - - -

An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS - The censorship free place to be.
    Password Protected Clan forums available upon requ

I'd love to write my own ages, as long as I could control what type of creatures are in it.

B'tsahv tsavahn, b'khen shoo f'mehros.

Vrekt val drashi kres vrekt kran vren vrekt.

I could see the potential for a contest of Age-Making... where the participants would write (in English, not D'ni!) their descriptions of worlds and the DRC would decide which one to write out in an actual descriptive book, translated into the D'ni. That would be very, very cool.

Of course, if such a thing were implemented it would probably be a long time from now, when the storyline could support it.

Check out my Explorer's Journal (IC)!
    KI ID: 02548721, on the Katran shard.

Feel free to friend on LJ or add on Uru Live. ^^
    ----------
    I love my umbrella!
    The Uru still Lives.

I would like to write ages also. (is proper grammar and spelling required?) plus i think the other problem i would run into would be all my ages would wind up having Pink Elephants every where(not by my choice mind you)

Atrus Ki 02741647

I AM

And a SLLG

Thanks to all those who got this signature thing working for me
    Atrus Ki 02741647

I AM

And a SLLG

The developers have tons of ages to write, They wouldn't start taking on custom ages for people. If can write at all we'll have to ourselfs. I disagree with Jodola about blackmarket books, they can control this very easily if the tool they release write a different format than the one used in game,
    then you send it and they convert it in to a playable form.
    as for the maintainers...SIGN ME UP!

Man of a thousand emotes.
    KI(in Atrus)02098098

It would be cool to wear one of those enviro suits or what ever they are in the Gahreesen

Atrus Ki 02741647

I AM

And a SLLG

Atrus Ki 02741647

I AM

And a SLLG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast