Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I have learned in this forum... | Forums

Since I have been a member of this forum, I have learned a lot of things.

I have learned that there are a lot of warm, wonderful, smart, and creative people around the world; not only here at home but in places I only dream about visiting, like Austrailia, Sweden, The Netherlands, England, New Zealand, Canada, et al. People of all races, ages and genders, Friends from all walks of life.

I have agreed with the opinions of some and disagreed with others. I have seen heated arguments and debates, sometimes causing those debating to leave in a huff or slowly faded away as if wounded. Agree or disagree, I have felt the loss when one single "voice" that I have come to know and appreciate, is silenced by it's absence.

I have come to hear the wonderful differences in the voices, by way of slang, or the tone of the message, or rhythm of the words in the posts. Each voice unique to itself yet representative of the country of origin.

I have learned to be a bit more broad-minded, a bit more forgiving and a lot less critical. I have come to appreciate how easily I can misunderstand someones intention or be misunderstood in turn. I have come to learn the power of the smilie.

I have "felt the pain" when someone was down, celebrated and shared in someones victory or success, and worried with someone in their troubles. I have felt a part of a community, something grander than myself. To me, this has been a place where technology has a soul.

I think this feeling is what many of the people who visited URU "LIVE" must have felt. Now, in the aftermath of URU "LIVE"'s closing, I marvel at the number of locked threads there that attempt to temper the raw shared pain. Here, in this older, more settled forum, I notice that there is not a great need to lock threads. Members of this forum, for the most part, mind their manners. Here we have been shielded from the brunt of that pain, finding comfort in the familiarity of our friends in this forum.

But lately, I have noticed cold winds blowing through this forum; winds of accusation, recrimination, anger, mistrust, a lack of respect and a lack of understanding that threatens the spirit of this place.

I had hoped to help ameliorate the situation as best I could by volunteering as a Moderator.
    I see now that that is a daunting task. A real challenge. For it is my opinion that in this forum, the trick is to moderate with an even hand. Push too hard and you crush the spirit of it. Not hard enough and it spins out of control.

Sometimes I wonder if I can make or have made a difference at all here.

Regardless, I want to thank you. Those who will read this post and those who have gone. Thank you all for the things you have taught me.

And so I have to keep reminding myself what a great experience it is, hangin out in this forum, learning as I go, with these people.

Grrr...
    Grrr...

See the Squee's Journey....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/squee_travels/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Since I have been a member of this forum, I have learned a lot of things.

I have learned that there are a lot of warm, wonderful, smart, and creative people around the world; not only here at home but in places I only dream about visiting, like Austrailia, Sweden, The Netherlands, England, New Zealand, Canada, et al. People of all races, ages and genders, Friends from all walks of life.

I have agreed with the opinions of some and disagreed with others. I have seen heated arguments and debates, sometimes causing those debating to leave in a huff or slowly faded away as if wounded. Agree or disagree, I have felt the loss when one single "voice" that I have come to know and appreciate, is silenced by it's absence.

I have come to hear the wonderful differences in the voices, by way of slang, or the tone of the message, or rhythm of the words in the posts. Each voice unique to itself yet representative of the country of origin.

I have learned to be a bit more broad-minded, a bit more forgiving and a lot less critical. I have come to appreciate how easily I can misunderstand someones intention or be misunderstood in turn. I have come to learn the power of the smilie.

I have "felt the pain" when someone was down, celebrated and shared in someones victory or success, and worried with someone in their troubles. I have felt a part of a community, something grander than myself. To me, this has been a place where technology has a soul.

I think this feeling is what many of the people who visited URU "LIVE" must have felt. Now, in the aftermath of URU "LIVE"'s closing, I marvel at the number of locked threads there that attempt to temper the raw shared pain. Here, in this older, more settled forum, I notice that there is not a great need to lock threads. Members of this forum, for the most part, mind their manners. Here we have been shielded from the brunt of that pain, finding comfort in the familiarity of our friends in this forum.

But lately, I have noticed cold winds blowing through this forum; winds of accusation, recrimination, anger, mistrust, a lack of respect and a lack of understanding that threatens the spirit of this place.

I had hoped to help ameliorate the situation as best I could by volunteering as a Moderator.
    I see now that that is a daunting task. A real challenge. For it is my opinion that in this forum, the trick is to moderate with an even hand. Push too hard and you crush the spirit of it. Not hard enough and it spins out of control.

Sometimes I wonder if I can make or have made a difference at all here.

Regardless, I want to thank you. Those who will read this post and those who have gone. Thank you all for the things you have taught me.

And so I have to keep reminding myself what a great experience it is, hangin out in this forum, learning as I go, with these people.

Grrr...

wow, powerful message, gab.

Just a little tip: don't go lax! You go lax on just one occasion, you have a whole group of people walking over you.

BTW, I think we could all do with a group hug, even my curious OP2 forum friend who poped-up in the hug thread.

please visit my site and sign the Guestbook:
    Omega Command
    B'tsahv tsavahn, b'khen shoo f'mehros.

Thragsahg kwagegat! Nuglar sagstrelsahg strel thansahg Gresat.

Vrekt val drashi kres vrekt kran vren vrekt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CK9:
    Just a little tip: don't go lax! You go lax on just one occasion, you have a whole group of people walking over you.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CK! YOU ARE BANNED FROM THE FORUM!

j/k Thanks for the tip!

Grrr...
    Grrr...

I went lax on the forum I mod, oh boy, was that a mistake! I just recently got a little control back.

please visit my site and sign the Guestbook:
    Omega Command
    B'tsahv tsavahn, b'khen shoo f'mehros.

Thragsahg kwagegat! Nuglar sagstrelsahg strel thansahg Gresat.

Vrekt val drashi kres vrekt kran vren vrekt.

I was promoted to a manager position once. The hardest thing was that I to learn that I was no longer one of the "guys"...I was the "boss". I tried to be fair and even tempered but I did have to break bad occsionally. It wasn't easy but I got pretty good at it.
    I'm still friends with several of those folks and some of them tell my I was the best boss they ever had...not too tough, not too easy.
    I hope their not just yanking my chain.

Grrr...
    Grrr...

Now you know why I'm losing my hair at 19, Gab .

----------
    Alahmnat
    Guild of Archivists, DPWR.NET
    Uru and Myst Forum Moderator / Community Assistant
    Please note: I do not respond to Private Topics dealing with technical support or hint requests for the Myst series
    ----------
    Guild of Archivists,
    D'niPedia Writers Ring (DPWR.NET)
    Do not PM me for tech support or hint requests for the Myst series

"It's not the hair on your head that counts...it's the hair on your chest!" ~ Sean Connery (and a personal favorite.)

Grrr...
    Grrr...

Oh. Well, I'm still screwed then .

----------
    Alahmnat
    Guild of Archivists, DPWR.NET
    Please note: I do not respond to Private Topics dealing with technical support or hint requests for the Myst series
    ----------
    Guild of Archivists,
    D'niPedia Writers Ring (DPWR.NET)
    Do not PM me for tech support or hint requests for the Myst series

hell, i noticed this and i'm new here. i "talk" at a few other forums, and sorry to say, this one is missing the star quality, as Simon(American Idol) would say.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast