View Poll Results: Should War Assets only be allocated if you play within your chosen faction?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 65.00%
  • No

7 35.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should War Assets only be allocated if you play within your chosen faction? | Forums

Should War Assets only be allocated if you play within your chosen faction?

I was thinking about this since I first heard about it.

Currently, you choose a faction and then no matter who you play as you earn War Assets. To me, it makes the faction choice somewhat meaningless, and removes some of the fun of actually having to make a choice, and play for and defend that faction. Which is the whole point, I would think, of having a tournament of sorts.

I would prefer that, upon choosing a faction, you only earn War Assets if you're playing a class within that faction. You aren't locked into only playing that faction, however. You can still play as any other faction, and still earn experience towards progression, you would just not earn War Assets. It would make the faction battles and the choice as to who you swear allegiance to actually have some purpose. At the end of the 10 weeks, if you wish to fight for another faction, you could choose another (which is how it currently works anyway).

What do you think?
    Last edited by AeraLure; 01-10-2017 at 06:34 PM.
     4 people found this helpful

That sounds like a good way to add some actual meaning to your faction choice. Right now it's a gimmick. Even if you just earned less war assets when playing as rival faction members, it would be a step in the right direction.

That said, the reasoning behind the current system is that each faction isn't made up of just warriors from that faction, but defectors from the other two as well. That means that when you chose samurai but you play as a warden, you're still fighting for the samurai. With that interpretation it makes sense for you to earn war assets, even if you're playing the wrong type of character.
     1 people found this helpful

While I agree on principle---it certainly gives more weight to your faction choice---they have said a few times that the multiplayer isn't separate from the campaign.

Specifically, they've said that the multiplayer takes place after the campaign, meaning the story of the campaign is setting up the multiplayer environment, meaning if the story explains how a Conqueror could be part of the Samurai faction (like there being division in the ranks within all factions without those factions completely dissolving), then there would be no need to put this sort of limitation on players.

At this point, I'm reserving judgement until I play the campaign, and reserving my anger or disappointment for if the explanation isn't a proper justification.

As far as I know this is only a thing involving the upcoming beta; earn points for your faction and the winning faction gets extra goodies on official release of the game. If they were to set it that if you select the knight faction then you only gain points for your faction when playing a knight, then it would not promote players testing out the different available characters. Again I am only talking of the beta here, for the beta I think you should gain points for your faction no matter who you play so that you can freely test out any characters without feeling like you aren't contributing.

Now if we are talking that this faction war is also a thing they have in the official game then that's fine. I am sure people who pick a certain faction will mostly pick heroes in that faction for a majority of their time with the game. But for a 3 day beta, I am interested in testing out most of the characters. I don't want to feel stuck playing the knights because of the faction war, at least for the beta.

they should create a specific events, modes for it atleast. Like, one day you gotta play characters from your faction to earn more awards and etc. Idk. Individual faction vs. faction mode would be great.

I would rather go towards an approach where you get bonus assets for playing with a character from your chosen faction. Then it would not force you to play as a certain character to contribute to your own faction. Lets say you'd get something like a 30% bonus for playing with a character within your faction. There are quite a lot of people who identify themselves within one faction but would love to play as a character from another faction while also wanting to contribute in the war. So by just giving a bonus instead of limiting, you encourage people to play within the faction whilst not limiting them.

I think that is a great suggestion. Either your or mathias...snaplaws version gives the faction choice more weight and encourage having faction battles. Seeing knights and vikings clash is cooler than just having a brawl of factionless warriors, imo.

As for Willows argument... i dont know, i really dont care as much about some kind of lore excuse that anyone could come up with. The cool idea behind the whole art concept of FH was always having knights fighting samurai fighting vikings, reactivating your 10-year old self's fantasies. If the campaign ends with something like "Apollyon is dead but somehow she reached her goal and now its war eternal, so have fun bashing your heads in now, bye" that would be kind of shallow and takes away the core concept (which is also partly why i think we should not make this a who is who of "historical" warriors by including everyone who has ever held a knife). Beside, the faction war feature would make no sense if there are no factions anymore.

So: Yes, let people try out new characters and dont restric their freedom of choice but encourage faction based teamfights.

Haha, sorry. I had messed around a little bit and forgot to change it back.

I'm interested to see how the cohesiveness plays out in the grand scheme of things. If any warrior can play for any faction, what is the ultimate benefit for picking a particular faction? Maybe I've missed some info, but are there going to be certain benefits tied to only specific factions? If there is not real difference in your choice, I feel like it reduces the potential immersion in the game. I want my choice to have some repercussion, otherwise it feels arbitrary.

To the original point of the thread, if there is a real impact to your choice, then I think it's fair that your War Assets go to your faction no matter which warrior you play as. If there is not a real difference, then to add in some element of responsibility for your choice, to me it would be better that you only earn assets if you play as a warrior from the faction you picked.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by vertigomonkey; 01-17-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigomonkey View Post
    I'm interesting to see how the cohesiveness plays out in the grand scheme of things. If any warrior can play for any faction, what is the ultimate benefit for picking a particular faction?
    I have no idea, and that's a concern of mine. I believe they would make war assets for each faction the same, for fear too many players joining one faction due to interest in that particular set of rewards, but like you, I don't know. If it is done like that, where war assets from each Faction are the same, only being able to earn war assets using a warrior from your aligned faction would bring some actual meaning to your choice and make participation in the Faction war more interesting. Otherwise it's pick some random Faction and then go and play as whatever. No fun in that (imho) as it would seem that it doesn't even matter who wins. At least in a setup like that I wouldn't feel any real investment. Guess we'll have to see if it has more nuance than that.
    Last edited by AeraLure; 01-17-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast