Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Haven & Serenia Are The Prison Ages ?? | Forums

Been reading more GOOP on MYST IV .... so, I'm to believe the planets Haven & Serenia are in fact the two prison ages Sirrus & Achenar are residing in?? Given the fact MYST IV centers around Sirrus & Achenar ... the Time magazine article mentioned Haven & Serenia .... I'm now assuming those two places are in fact the prison ages.... BUT ......

HOW does one " imprison " if thou art a powerful D'Ni book writer like Atrus ?? How are " prison " ages written ?? What does one place in a prison age, exactly ?? If Atrus wrote the infamous " Red " & " Blue " books, then did he infact NAME the ages Haven & Serenia?? Did he " fill " the prison ages with all manner of life, beauty, and natural resources from which Sirrus & Achenar have lived peacefully within for the last 40 or so years ??

I wonder ..... and while I'm at it ... I got ANOTHER BUGGER of a question I've been wondering about..... but that's another topic ....

Any thoughts about " prison " ages ?? IS Haven & Serenia our prison ages ??

ZH
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Been reading more GOOP on MYST IV .... so, I'm to believe the planets Haven & Serenia are in fact the two prison ages Sirrus & Achenar are residing in?? Given the fact MYST IV centers around Sirrus & Achenar ... the Time magazine article mentioned Haven & Serenia .... I'm now assuming those two places are in fact the prison ages.... BUT ......

HOW does one " imprison " if thou art a powerful D'Ni book writer like Atrus ?? How are " prison " ages written ?? What does one place in a prison age, exactly ?? If Atrus wrote the infamous " Red " & " Blue " books, then did he infact NAME the ages Haven & Serenia?? Did he " fill " the prison ages with all manner of life, beauty, and natural resources from which Sirrus & Achenar have lived peacefully within for the last 40 or so years ??

I wonder ..... and while I'm at it ... I got ANOTHER BUGGER of a question I've been wondering about..... but that's another topic ....

Any thoughts about " prison " ages ?? IS Haven & Serenia our prison ages ??

ZH

Very true ZH.

I think the red and blue prison books Atrus wrote are just ages with no way out (no linking books) intended to trap unwary and greedy explorers (his own sons!).

Would he make them pleasant? barely hospitable perhaps - i think looks may be decieving

If these are the prison ages, perhaps the pleasant names of Haven and Serenia (read serene) were chosen by Atrus to serve this aluring purpose?

ZH, as Matt said, a prison Age is just an ordinary Age that doesn't have a linking Book that the prisoner can use to return. That's how the D'ni used to imprison people, as explained in the Book of Ti'ana. Of course, it is possible for someone to link to that Age with a return Book in his pocket and free the prisoner.

Haven is most certainly Achenar's prison Age. But, I doubt that Serenia is Sirrus's prison. I don't think that Atrus would knowingly use an inhabited Age as a prison, because he wouldn't want to inflict a possible criminal on innocent people. I think Ubi is keeping Sirrus's Age a secret for now, saving the surprise for us.

Either that, or we don't get to see Sirrus's prison at all. Maybe Sirrus escapes his prison at the start of the game, grabs Yeesha and a linking Book, and goes to Haven to join Achenar. That might explain the scene in the trailer where we see the brothers fighting each other in Haven.

Or, maybe BOTH the R&B Books link to Haven, but the locations are so far apart that Atrus didn't think two prisoners would ever meet.

------------------
    *SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
    ------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I doubt that Serenia is Sirrus's prison. I don't think that Atrus would knowingly use an inhabited Age as a prison, because he wouldn't want to inflict a possible criminal on innocent people. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're assuming that the buildings seen on Serenia are currently inhabited, which from the looks of them is unlikely - they're more like ruins. I think its more likely that although there were people living there at one time, by the time Atrus wrote the descriptive book they were long gone, meaning he could use the age to imprison anyone - although it is entirely possible that the ages were not originally intended as prisons, Atrus just realized they could be used for that after he had explored them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hazhar2:
    You're assuming that the buildings seen on Serenia are currently inhabited,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, I am, because the E3 trailer shows us one of the inhabitants -- Anya, one of the six Sisters of the Temple. Also, on the new Revelation site, take a look at the character profile for Yeesha. There's a sound clip where she tells us that Atrus took her there for a visit (and I DOUBT they went to visit Sirrus ). Serenia is probably where Yeesha got her necklace, since Anya is wearing a similar one. Thus, Serenia is most likely NOT a prison Age.

------------------
    ------------------

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Sirrus's age hasn't been shown to us AT ALL yet (though there's a very fleeting image in the little Sirrus video on the website that MIGHT be in his Age...) They want to keep some surprises, which is a good thing. Sort of a pity that they've shown us as much of Serenia as they now have, though seeing how pretty it is it's not surprising that they want to show it off!

Sri's Relto

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sort of a pity that they've shown us as much of Serenia as they now have<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    How do you know thats much of serenia? I'd say its much larger!

EDIT: Ooh look at the Serenia wallpaper. It says "Serenia: Main Age". Maybe it will be like Myst Island and J'nanin - you link from Serenia and that contains the other ages??? (But why are the red and blue books on Tomahna then?)

[This message was edited by Eat_My_Shortz on Fri August 06 2004 at 08:13 PM.]

Not to sound negative about M4 at all, but I really don't get the "Prison Age" thing. True, a prison Age was just an Age the D'ni used to trap someone there, with no linking book out. But remember the brothers trapped Atrus on K'veer before they started plundering and used the two books. They could've easily taken a linking book back to Myst with them--Atrus didn't force them into the books. And if you "lose" Myst, you see the books worked just as the prison book in Riven. You link in, you're stuck. Somebody else links in, you're free. The only thing I can figure out is they were they just somehow set free from another set of prison books, and possibly accessed the two Ages we see featured in Myst IV. Any thoughts?
    ----------
    "The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all."

The official explanation for this is that Sirrus and Achenar were very complacent, and the only ages they had ever gone to had a Myst book. So they didn't really think about it.
    But if you were going to a wierd age your father had told you not to go to, you might want to be a little wary! I agree.

Perhaps The Ending Has Not Yet Been Written...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast