Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weapons and Weapon Talents after Update 1.4 | Forums

Community Manager Ubi-gabelikes's Avatar

Weapons and Weapon Talents after Update 1.4

Agents,

Update 1.4 introduced several changes to both Weapon and Weapon Talents. We continue to monitor feedback and discussions surrounding them as we continue our efforts to improve the game post Update 1.4.

To kick off the discussion, you will find a link to a new survey below and we are very interested to hear your thoughts!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/td14weapons

As always, do not hesitate to provide your thoughts in this thread!

Thanks,

The Division Dev Team
    Last edited by Ubi-gabelikes; 11-01-2016 at 05:06 PM.
     1 people found this helpful

About weapons talents, it's difficult to answer because some talents are not good because of their effect in-game
    -> example toxic : blind debuff is really short, and even when you use high rof pistol you can't decently disable a NPC.
    other talents are not good because of their requirements
    -> example : competent : the buff is almost OK, but it need high electronics, so I can't use it with a DPS build.
    Things haven't much changed from patch 1.3, I still look for the same bonus, maybe appart from predatory which is good now, and coldhead which have been nerfed due to smart cover / support station cooldown change, and dealdy which have been nerfed due to CHC nerf.

Then about "Named weapons", they doesn't have specific bonus, so unless they have godroll talents such as "brutal / responsive / free ferocious" I won't even take a look.
    the sad thing is that GS182 cadduceus was OK without alphabridge in patch 1.3.

I'm puzzled about the dual barrel shotgun (not sawed off) and the revolver. Either I missed a hidden bonus, or these weapons are bad.
    The dual barrel shotgun doesn't look better than the side-arm version so for a "main" weapon it's burst capability is too low, mainly because it doesn't have mods. IMHO with a better accuracy (equivalent to accuracy mod) and a better optimal range (equivalent to optimal range mod) it could be OK.
    I feel the same for the revolver, when you compare it to a M1911 it hits just a little harder but is not stable and can't be modded. I feel it lacks something (native headshot bonus ?)

Then about weapon types, LMG, AR, shotguns are usable. M44 / SRS MMR are still usable (I still have to check for SVD). SMG feels below average in PvE.

Double barreld shotguns are so bad right now you could even remove them from the game. Same for Magnums, they need a buff. Actually any weapon that has 2 mod slots less than the majority of the rest of the weapon category doesn't even get looked at by a lot of players.

You forgot to include the Unforgiving talent in your survey.

SMGs are still a big let down so far. Worse damage than other weapons, bad weapon bomus (honestly just switch it back to ChC) and the fact that most of the SMGs can't fit the headshot damage heavy weapon mods (12x scope and omega suppressor, with exception of the vektor).
    Also I'm gonna mention it here: we need pistol caches!

Oh, and I allmost forgot, Self-preserved needs a huge buff! Since you guys kicked ChC and ChD out of the window and guns aren't doing that much damage anymore it is pretty useless. Actually, scrap the buff, I'd say it needs a rework.
    Last edited by Scr4mp; 10-28-2016 at 05:30 PM.
     2 people found this helpful

first off, any weapon that doesn't have all the mod slots is instantly lower tier. i'll always choose a weapon that has all the mod slots rather than one that lacks some. for example the black market rpk LMG has all the slots, but for some reason the military rpk lmg is missing one. so the black market instantly becomes way better than the military version. especially with weapon handling now, i need all the mod slots i can get to improve my weapons.

smgs are crap now. short range, dmg nerfs, and very difficult to build for crit hit chance and dmg. the smgs are trash tier of automatic weapons now. i'd say with all the nerfs they've gotten, i'd say bringing back crit hit chance as the default rather than crit hit dmg might be enough to bring them back to relevance. and they def wouldn't be OP.

semi auto snipers are pretty trash right now as anything but support. if you want to dps w sentry, it's gotta be bolt action. m1a, scar h, and svd are only good for sentry marks for a squad... not nearly as effective. they don't need to be insane, but the semi auto snipers need a damage buff to compete.

loving lmgs and ARs. some of the weapon handling is nuts though. for example, the m4s and aks are fine weapons, but they're handling is way worse than other ARs... so much so that they're like never used. especially with how little weapon stability we can add now. just nerf their recoil a bit to compete better w the scar L, acr, and g36 as viable competitors. seriously loving lmgs though. they're all viable and good to play with.

shotguns are tough. some are good for pvp, some are good for pve... but all are lower tier generally than ARs and LMGs due to recent nerfs and changes.

and as far as pistols go... any pistols that don't allow for the mod slots are just useless. and the magnum is atrocious. just make them all have mod slots and then they all may get more use.
    Last edited by powdernitz; 10-28-2016 at 10:55 PM.

So many options in 1.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubi-gabelikes View Post
    Agents,

Update 1.4 introduced several changes to both Weapon and Weapon Talents. We continue to monitor feedback and discussions surrounding them as we continue our efforts to improve the game post Update 1.4.

The Division Dev Team
    I'm a PS4 player and I'm loving the new balance. I was never a fan of SMGs and felt that the game was very bland with so many well designed weapons at our disposal that were useless in combat.

• All of the ARs feel great and seem to balance each other out very well. I can actually be effective using a lightweight M4. No complaints here.
    • LMGs are powerful (and should be). They force players to use cover instead of the run-and-gun approach seen in previous patches.
    • Sniper rifles are in a good place now that the M1A has came back to earth. Very good job on bringing the Scar-H back from the dead as well.
    • Shotguns can still be OP if the correct build is acquired. *Please look into other options for PvP balancing instead of a damage nerf.
    • SMGs are still viable but have their rightful place now. Maybe a VERY TINY buff is needed for diversity purposes. Maybe.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this update. I believe that the new weapon balancing is the most important part of this overhaul. Extra loot and rebalanced NPCs mean nothing if we're all running around using the same 3 guns.

the survey should include descriptions of the talents so folks dont get confused. i had to google a bunch to make sure i didn't get them mixed up. if some ppl don't do that, then they'll rate stuff incorrectly.

Great idea guys, keep the Agent Intel going! I'm sure you find the feedback useful and the community loves the input!

Great job with the balancing, It's so much better than 1.3! The weapons are so much more varied however the differences cancel each other out so they are indeed very balanced. It was mentioned in a SOTG that you wanted the weapons to feel like they did in the pre-30 game. Well.... *slow clap*....you did it!

When reviewing Named Weapons, I'd love you to be able to make them feel special again. I want to have that excitement like I had when my Caduceus dropped or I first tried the Showstopper. However, they shouldn't become too overpowered so I don't think damage is the way to go. Well paired talents or exciting combos of talents is great! Like the 1.3 Caduceus, I totally understand why you had to remove coolheaded from it now, however in 1.3, it was an exciting choice, especially with AlphaBridge.

I also agree with @powdernitz that the descriptions should be added to the form, I had to load up the game to check them out.

Before diving in and making another long response detailing each bit, I just want to get this bit out of the way first:

1. Talents that trigger on kill are unreliable. In a group that is focus-firing a target, you are competing for the killing blow and may never actually activate those talents. This discourages cooperative play in groups as individuals who rely on weapon talents will attempt to pick off other targets to ensure the killing blow rather than properly prioritizing enemy targets. I believe these talents should also trigger if an individual had damaged the target shortly before its death.

Tangentially related is the recent issue with Health-on-kill. As a solo player you by definition will always land the killing blow and thus benefit. This made HoK, Sustained, and Predatory seem overpowered, while in a group setting it is unreliable.

2. Talents that require a trigger are not balanced for the rarity of the trigger. The most common offense is that when these talents are activated, they provide very little in terms of a gain. For example, Competent. Given ~100k SP Overdose kept on cooldown, you have an effective damage boost of 5%. In practice, it'll be much lower as Overdose is not often used on cooldown.

Another issue is with ones that specify "first X bullets" or "last X bullets". Mag size comes into play. Astute is the biggest offender, followed by Provident. In a 5-round M44, you have an effective 3% crit chance boost. In a 100-round M60? 0.15%, not even worth it. Provident gives a 5-round M44 gives an overall 12% more damage per magazine, but who keeps it a 5-round magazine anyways?

In other words, the bonuses in the short term do not pan out to anything meaningful in the long term.

Other thoughts:

Raw stat increases are lazy and encourages a static meta. Talents should encourage a certain playstyle. For example, Competent, Coolheaded and Determined works with build that uses skills often. Self-Sustained meshes well with tanks and crit builds.
     2 people found this helpful

Stability and Accuracy Talents not working on my ARs.

I have both Stability and Accuracy unlocked on my AlphaBridge build using ARs. Neither of the bonuses for these talents are translating to improved stability or accuracy on my character screen. I have not seen this listed on the known issues page and am wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue?

nerf aim assist on shotguns on console

Please can you find a way to nerf the aim assist to the shotguns on console it still snaps to head and 1-2 shots anyone. And also can you add a little bit of a delay to the grenade timer or something like that mine does 80k to an agent its a bit un-fair Right thanks if you see this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast