New to SH 4

I'm new to this but have played a couple sub sims years ago. I'm just getting killed on this sim but know there is a big learning curve since it's been years since I've really done any gaming. I am having a problem though, my observation periscope isn't working, it goes up and I think I've gotten killed a few times because it's poking above the water and I didn't know it. It's just black when I raise it at scope depth. Any fixes for this problem? I'm not sure which version I have have, updates and the like. I downloaded the game from Amazon. Another question, does the observation scope give a fix on the map or just the other scope. I haven't played with radars and that yet, or mapping out destinations. I've just been trying to play the initial school part, convoy.

Originally Posted by BrianR1960 Go to original post
    I'm new to this but have played a couple sub sims years ago. I'm just getting killed on this sim but know there is a big learning curve since it's been years since I've really done any gaming. I am having a problem though, my observation periscope isn't working, it goes up and I think I've gotten killed a few times because it's poking above the water and I didn't know it. It's just black when I raise it at scope depth. Any fixes for this problem? I'm not sure which version I have have, updates and the like. I downloaded the game from Amazon. Another question, does the observation scope give a fix on the map or just the other scope. I haven't played with radars and that yet, or mapping out destinations. I've just been trying to play the initial school part, convoy.
    Hello BrianR 1960, Welcome to the SH Forums.

Do you know what version of the game you are currently running? v1.5 is the latest version. If you have lower version than v1.4 then you need to use the v1.4 patch to get you to near speed.

Yooperbacker's Avatar Moderator
    You can see what version you have by opening the main menu page and look to the bottom right. The version number should be there.