Thread: Un-Packing | Forums

Un-Packing

Was given SHIV as a birthday gift off of Steam and I have a couple of questions. I see the radar toggle switches but it won't turn on in the game. Its status is "unpack" on the equipment list. Strange thing is that it says the same thing for the twin 20mm but they are mounted and can be fired. Am I missing something? I saw a thread here saying the radar is not available until Aug 42 so am a bit confused which is not unusual. Other question is on mods, since I start this game from Steam, can mods be used? Thanks to Tambor198 for an excellent add to the manual. I would still be trying to find out how to successfully complete a patrol if not for it.
    Last edited by grgwlthm; 09-16-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: clarity

Hello grgwlthm, Welcome

The radar switch will work after Aug 42 if you have radar. It wasn't invented until then and not everyone got radar at the same time.
    What version of SHIV did you get, 1.4 or 1.5. 1.5 has the U-boat addition. I believe you can use mods with steam. The best Mods are made for version 1.5
    I am not sure about the deck guns.

Thanks for the info. Last night I returned to port and it was after Aug. A choice for SJ radar was there and when I went back out the radar worked. The SD radar that I had on board is what did not work. Not sure about the 20mm but I may try to take them off and reload them when I get back from floundering around off Luzon. Found some info on just radar by the krazyfrenchman and one by tambor198 which gave me much more insight on what was going on with the radar. I was given 1.4 so no U-boats.

By the way I am an old tech toot and really enjoyed my time in the UP.

So you have been to the UP. I do like it here to.

Did you install the patch to your SH4 to update it to 1.4? You can see which version you have by looking in the bottom right on the main menu page.

If you do get into playing this you might want to consider getting the U-Boat Missions addon.

I just found out I was given the Unterseeboot version as well but have not downloaded it from steam yet. Just got this a couple of weeks ago now and am trying to learn the ropes. I am not a fan of Steam and am trying to learn how they work. The screen shows ver 1.3 but I have updated it as they instruct but it does not change the ver. Some comments in Steam seem to indicate that even though the ver has not changed on the main screen that I am actually running 1.4. That is how much I dislike Steam but it is a gift from my son so I will say no more Just playing on easy right now but I am getting ready to change the settings so that fuel and batteries show consumption. On patrol 7 in the first Gato in theater the Drum. I am enjoying it. Played an old sub game called Gato ages ago so I am looking forward to getting in to this. The threads on this site are very helpful but it takes time to find the right ones. I saw on your signature something about sea-lanes but the link is broken. Is that something of use in order to find the prime spots to hang out and wait for the mice to come play?

I spent close to 5 years total at tech, hiked the porkies, camped out on the Kewanaw point in those days. Have taken the family up to Munising, Houghton and Whitefish point in the last several years and it is just as beautiful as ever. I am in lower MI now.

Question? Not knowing how detail Ubisoft has made this game with respect to Naval records, is it possible that the twin 20mm don't show unpacked because the Drum had the fully shrouded conning tower and the 20mm required the open AA deck?
    Last edited by grgwlthm; 09-20-2016 at 12:15 AM.

Last edited by Yooperbacker; 09-20-2016 at 12:25 AM.