Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear Sets concept | Forums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Community Developer Ubi_Yannick's Avatar

Gear Sets concept

Agents,

Gear Sets have become a key element of End-Game character building and progression. We now have 13 Gear Sets available each with very different effects and bonuses, some definitely better than others.

Gear Sets design has been a constant source of feedback and debate within the community and we would like to investigate this matter further with you. To begin the discussion, we are interested to find out your opinion on what constitutes well-crafted Gear Set design.

Of all Gear Sets currently in the game, which ones do you think are the most mechanically interesting, regardless of their actual power and stats? (up to three)

As usual, do not hesitate to comment in this thread!

Thanks,
    The Division Dev Team

This is definitely a good question. I do believe that the ones I chose (BLIND, Reclaimer, and Firecrest) will probably be near the top of the results because I feel like across the board these have the most interesting mechanics. They're all ones that from the outside in look like they would create interesting play styles. BLIND gives me the impression of someone that's both able to be DPS and Crowd Control... And the same with Firecrest, but just a different type. Plus, with Firecrest it feels very "fire mage". Reclaimer is something people use now, and I love the concept mechanically from a Support perspective.

If I could add a fourth, it'd actually be Nomad as a solo Gear Set. If Scavenging were something else health-related, the mechanics of that would probably feel better practically.

As always, thanks UbiMassive for taking the steps to make things better!

So top 3 based on interesting 'mechanics' - we basically need to consider the 4 piece bonuses as everything else is just a stat boost some way or another. Or how the 2,3,4,5 piece bonuses work together (where is the Frontline set to boost the Ballistic Shield). So just focusing on the 4 piece bonuses;

Final Measure (not that I've ever ran the 4 piece and had it proc). It's got excellent potential to help in some of the incursions, shouldn't be too difficult to keep it proc'ing and really is something unique.

Hunters Faith. It's rewarding you for playing a 'role' (long range marksman) and to me is quite a nice idea that you can trade shots with an enemy sniper and, assuming you can hit them, you don't need to duck into cover to avoid being shot - you just keep training in on them to get the killing blow. The whole thing about the longer the shot the better the armour boost just adds to that interesting mechanic.

Deadeye. This was a close call over BLIND for me, BLIND is interesting for the 3 and 4 piece synergy but Deadeye takes the marksman role and turns it around into more of a mobile assaulter (not just talking hipfiring PVP slayer). It forces you to trade the Headshot bonuses for something else that isn't always going to yield better damage output but is more consistent (all depending on your aim).

Now, all of this being said I'm running Sentry, Reclaimer, Alphabridge and Deadeye across my 4 characters depending on the content I'm playing and who I'm playing with, because I feel these give me the stronger 'boost', but they aren't the most interesting 'mechanically'.

Who knows whats to come, or whats to change with what we already have...
     1 people found this helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Ayyronio View Post
    This is definitely a good question. I do believe that the ones I chose (BLIND, Reclaimer, and Firecrest) will probably be near the top of the results because I feel like across the board these have the most interesting mechanics. They're all ones that from the outside in look like they would create interesting play styles. BLIND gives me the impression of someone that's both able to be DPS and Crowd Control... And the same with Firecrest, but just a different type. Plus, with Firecrest it feels very "fire mage". Reclaimer is something people use now, and I love the concept mechanically from a Support perspective.

If I could add a fourth, it'd actually be Nomad as a solo Gear Set. If Scavenging were something else health-related, the mechanics of that would probably feel better practically.

As always, thanks UbiMassive for taking the steps to make things better!
    I totally agree with you. I´m a big fan of sets that augments and enhances my experience rather then just give me a straight up damage increase.

What does mechanically interesting mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDecks View Post
    I think they're basically asking which sets give you the most interesting perks. As in... do you think it's an interesting concept to have a set that will revive you upon death like the "Path of the Nomad" does or do you think that the concept of unlocking combined talents from 2 weapons if they're the same type (like in "AlphaBrigde") is interesting.

In other words, when you first read about the gear set perks, when did you think: "Hmm, that's an interesting idea"?

Quote Originally Posted by VarHyid View Post
    I think they're basically asking which sets give you the most interesting perks. As in... do you think it's an interesting concept to have a set that will revive you upon death like the "Path of the Nomad" does or do you think that the concept of unlocking combined talents from 2 weapons if they're the same type (like in "AlphaBrigde") is interesting.

In other words, when you first read about the gear set perks, when did you think: "Hmm, that's an interesting idea"?
    Yup basically that is what it is as Yannick answered that question on Twitter.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BigDecks View Post
    The question and the poll should be slightly rephrased and be made more verbose, so we get a better understanding what this means and can can comprehend what the survey is used for.
    Shall those gearsets that are not "mechanically interesting" be redesigned? Or removed/replaced with something else? Shall those that are "mechanically interesting" but unused by the majority be buffed or improved?

FWIW, those where I find the 4pc bonus mechanically interesting are Hunter's Faith, Final Measure and for the third one can't really decide between Predator's Mark or Lone Star. Although Predator's Mark is not that much interesting, as probably everybody goes for consecutive hits on one target until that is down, so you simply get a free bonus but no different playstyle is incentivized.

So I chose Reclaimer, AlphaBridge and DeadEYE. Honestly I feel every gear set has their own very unique and interesting play style, it's just obvious that some outdo others. Like if you're looking to deal more damage, Sentry or Striker is hands down best. If you want more skill power, obviously Tactician is best. Personally, I would REALLY like to see the other sets brought up a notch. I feel there are some sets that are deemed useless because they are so conditional it's not a serious choice. Like Nomad for example. A good idea in theory but gambling chances at getting that revive only once every ten or so minutes just isn't worth it. Or Lonestar. People give Lonestar grief but it's actually pretty good, it's just not the best damage dealer and doesn't do anything else very beneficial. I don't have ideas for every single set and how it could be changed but personally I don't think nerfing Sentry's again or nerfing other popular ones like Strikers, Tacticians and Reclaimers while leaving the others untouched is the way to go. You say to yourself that maybe if it's more in line with other sets people will have diversity and try new stuff but I truly do not believe that. You'll just make people upset they're favorite stuff got nerfed and they will continue to wear it anyway. Personally I'd like to see some of the more useless sets have better bonuses. Like replace scavenging for Nomad with something else and make the 4 piece revive a little more often and consistent. Or with BLIND, make it so the status effect once you kill an enemy is much wider. I feel with enemy TTK being brought down in 1.4, BLIND could be useful if it had a bigger radius. And Hunter's Faith would be really cool to run but the headshot damage for the 2 piece is simply not enough to make any sort of a difference and the 4 piece just doesn't make sense to anyone because just about everyone is already armor capped. Replacing the 4 piece with a completely new and unique bonus other than what it has now is my best idea. Among other things of course but these are my thoughts.

And as far as the 3 I chose I feel AlphaBridge is a very unique and rewarding set. Lots of people use it, it's very innovative and don't think it should be changed. DeadEYE is a great idea for those people who want to help deal damage but more consistently than someone hitting headshots. It gives people with less aim a better feeling of helping out with their damage. And Reclaimer is a super cool idea, obviously in PVP it's very powerful, but for PVE I feel it works fine and anyone who uses it has a defining role, just like Sentry users and Tactician users. Just pls no nerfirino my Sentry's again Massive :^(

Sorry to say but this is the most pointless survey yet. It has Just one question. Which gear set 4 piece bonus is most interesting? Hmm not really going to be able to do much with that info. Other than say a lot of people like the concept of this one or that one. Im guessing this is so you can keep the ones no one is using but that you guys want in the game. Nothing about how to improve the 4 piece bonuses or bring parity to all the sets. Should've asked about the rest of gear set bonuses or how they are stacked/combined with other gear. And had questions like if there are too many or not enough variety. Which 2 and 3 piece bonuses work. So many things you couldve asked.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast