Thread: Letís talk about Skills | Forums

Completed the survey..There were two obvious things that none of us use..Ballistic Shield and Mobile Cover..But when i read their description, they seem to be some useful skills which needs rework..

It's my belief that the most underutilized skills are too situational, or not powerful enough to warrant using. A skill mod like Defibrillator should not only revive a downed player, but restore all health. Shock turrets should cause major damage just like a shock drone in FL and have the effect of immobilization last accordingly. These are just examples, not specifics I'm advocating.

Just to clarify I only use boostershot because I have a vigorous chest. The important part here: over heal.

Also recovery link is only rated so low because of the delay with reviving people. As I've seen elsewhere in this thread; I have never once successfully revived someone or been revived during a frantic encounter, (which is when we're supposed to use it right?!)

Also, just wanted to say thank you for listening to the community!

Just to put this out there. I play a lot of games and this is the first one that actually involves the community and ask them what would they like to see in the current game and the next one to come. (look at bungie they started something similar after the division came out, not to trash talk i like both games equally)

I mostly play solo so over dose and pulse are a must for me. sticky bomb was one of my favorite until end game where different builds and skills power started to matter more.
    It really depends on my skill power which skills i am using or if I am in a group or running UG with directives, to dictated what to use: but the main ones i use are: Over dose, healing station immune/ammo, smart cover recharger, pulse Tactical Scanner.

for signature skill I use mostly Tactical link and change as needed when I'm in a group .

Btw are you also going to address talents or just skills?

Originally Posted by Hugo-FOU Go to original post
    I'd love to see skills become useful again with 1.4. Being able to deploy seeker mines, sticky bombs and turrets that did more than tickle the enemy would be great!

Also I've based my survey answers on post level 30 content.
    I agree the skills you've mentioned need to be scaled accordingly. No reason a LMB turret should shred a lvl 30 agent with lvl 33 armor and an agent's turret does next to nothing

Originally Posted by Cpt Ignoramus Go to original post
    Just to clarify I only use boostershot because I have a vigorous chest. The important part here: over heal.

Also recovery link is only rated so low because of the delay with reviving people. As I've seen elsewhere in this thread; I have never once successfully revived someone or been revived during a frantic encounter, (which is when we're supposed to use it right?!)

Also, just wanted to say thank you for listening to the community!
    Only time I've successfully used Recovery Link was when I was power leveling a player. I need it to work when we're neck deep in LMB sh*t!

Rate the usefulness of each of our skill mods and signature skills.

Each skill has it's usefulness whether it is for PVE or PVP. Chosen Skill depends on the situation - Mission/Incursion/UG/DZ or Gear Pieces chosen.

For example I will use Booster Shot if I am using a Vigarous chest. I can even forego healing if I am playing as a support role during Incursions and provide my team a strong pulse and smart cover instead and rely on them to heal me.

Depending on the strategy employed to complete the Incursion we chose differing skills but more than often due to the mundane nature of it the same skills are used. We can always communicate and swap if someone disconnects or dies.

Depending on the team's build and task at hand I will chose whatever skill fits accordingly so that the job gets done.

During match-making this is sometimes not possible if a build is on another character, hence why I carry the two most common/useful ones for PVE - A skillpower Reclaimer (Support) A Sentry (Pure DPS).

I think you have the data and know which are commonly used therefore I will explain the ones I don't use or use very little and why in addition to filling out the survey.

Medical

Pulse: Recon - Used very little for PVE/UG when I first wanted to find loot containers. Even though it has the greatest range it is not as effective as the other Pulse types.

First Aid: Defibrillator - Don't use. I don't find this effective. In PVE If a player goes down near to you or crawls their way back they can be revived normally. If in PVP a player goes down more than often they will be dead so there is no point in using this.

Support Station: Life Support - Don't use. A player can also revive themselves by crawling to other station types if they aren't revived by team mates already. For PVP same reasons for the Defib why I don't use it. Would be nice if it revived players back to full health and procs Battle Buddy then it "may" be useful.

Tech

Sticky Bomb: Proximity Fuse - Don't use. Never found a purpose to use it.

Turret: Active Sensor - Don't use. Never found a purpose to use it. For all turrets they get destroyed far too quickly in PVP unless you have high skillpower in which case other skills are more useful to the team. You can always spec your build into Turret health but most competent players can destroy it in 1.5 clips or slightly less. For PVE/DZ they get hacked far too quick and become a nuisance, why we can't hack turrets or have an anti hack feature is beyond me.

Seeker Mine: Airburst - Don't use. Causes screen shake and can destroy smart cover if detonated too close.

Seeker Mine: Cluster - Don't use. Causes screen shake and can destroy smart cover if detonated too close

Security

Ballistic Shield: Reactive Targeting
    Ballistic Shield: Assault Shield
    Ballistic Shield: Kinetic Breaker

Don't use any of them. The Ballistic Shield currently is broken and has been for a very long time. Therefore I don't find a purpose to use any of these skills.

Mobile Cover: Extension - Used very little where there is no cover for the begining phase of Dragon's Den. Provides effective shielding and vantage point for speed runs.

Mobile Cover: Blast Shield - Don't use.

Mobile Cover: Countermeasures - Used very little where there is no cover for the begining phase of Dragon's Den. Provides effective shielding and vantage point for speed runs.

Mobile cover is controversial the only use people have found for it is from exploiting but apart from that there is very little purpose for it in a cover shooter game where there is an abundance of cover. Apart from the above example in Dragon's Den I have found no valid purpose to use it.

Signature

Recovery Link - Used very little in PVE and never in PVP. Only ever used in PVE when it's critical and I swap my signature ability to it to get a team mate up. For example the fuse carrier in Clear Sky or the C4 charge planter in Falcons Nest.

HTH

All skills are great from Level 1-30. They are effictive!

Right now in Endgame there is no room for versatility.

First Aid Overheal / Triage combo is mandatory.
    That means, in a 4 player group there is only room for 4 more skills.
    (And also 1 of 4 Talents already blocked.)

Damage Pulse / Smart Covor is mandatory.
    Kill speed and damage reduction is necessary to survive long enough and skill fast enough the one-hit-player-kill spongy enemys.
    And only 2 skills left.

Ammo and/or Immunizer Box also mandatory.

Thats it for current PVE content. Using other skills will make you progess slower or are just not powerful enough.

Turret gets insta-killed before its gets useful or gets hacked.
    (Why can't we hack enemy skills? For example the hostile turrets. Also, why can one Technition can keep more than one turret alive and mine dies when I die. Wrong thread for this, but just saying.)
    Mobile Cover and Ballistic shield are bugged from day one.
    Seeker Mine is useless. Maybe to smoke or ignite the enemys but its make the screen shake like crazy and i dont like it. Aaand it gets hacked (see Turret above).
    Some skills are more PVP related and thats ok. I wont talk about them since i am not a pvp guy.
    (Sticky Bomb Flashbang most used in PVP can be usefull to stop running NPC's. But there no free room for that skill. (see above).

In my eyes some of the skills are just not correctly scaled. Best example is the Turret. While leveling it kills one hostile right after another. In Endgame the first segment of armor doesn't even move and it gets instakilled.

Buffing the weak skills to a point were they are equal usefull to the mandatory ones i named above would motivate people to use them.

some of the skills are trash because they don't work. like the ballistic shield. but if you fixed it, i'd love to test that sucker out. but balance would have to come to allow for tanking. right now 400K or 700k toughness i'm still getting 1 or 2 shot. that can't still be how it is if i'm gonna use the ballistic shield at endgame. right now, if it worked, it'd be a toy i use for 32 enemies and down. but balance would really have to come for it to be viable up against 35 elites.

so the ballistic shield is not only broken, but game balance right now wouldn't allow it to have utility against 34-35 elites anyway. needs to be fixed and game balanced to then be able to test it to see just how viable it could be.

Tarantula5's Avatar Junior Member

Skills

Like the rest of the community, I second the notion of: Pulse / Smart Cover / Overdose. They are the only real useful skills that work in the endgame.

The only other offensive skill that I use outside of Pulse and Smart Cover is the Gas seeker mine. Even though I use it, it's situation dependent. Mainly because of it's ability to be hacked. If I am going to employ a gas seeker mine against enemy agents, they must be suppressed first. If not, it just ends up getting hacked every time. I chose the gas seeker mine over flashbang because of the glitch that allows smart cover to be broken when a flashbang sticky bomb is used near the smart cover.