Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SH to Windows 10? | Forums

SH to Windows 10?

Hey, new to the SH series, my primary sims are aircraft but this looks interesting. Loaded Wolves of the Pacific on W10, but can't get it to play. Suggestions? Everything went smooth as far as I could tell. I get the video/movie but goes black after that. Thanks much, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyhawk49 View Post
    Hey, new to the SH series, my primary sims are aircraft but this looks interesting. Loaded Wolves of the Pacific on W10, but can't get it to play. Suggestions? Everything went smooth as far as I could tell. I get the video/movie but goes black after that. Thanks much, Steve
    Need some more info, like computer specs, any error messages, where you have it installed, is the game on dvd or download.....etc.

Thanks for the reply, lets see if I can help out. I am pretty much an idiot with the computer, well not quite and idiot, but if things hit a snag I fell kinda helpless, so let's see.

Computer:
    Asus M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard
    AMD RX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHZ Quad Core Processor
    Kingston 8GB RAM DDR3 1600
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM Hard drive
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Windforce 3X 450W Video Card
    DirectX 10, I think

Just 'upgraded' to Windows 10 a couple of months ago. Game was DVD. No error messages. I thought it went C/ProgramFiles/Ubisoft, but when I checked there the only one was IL2. So it installed and went 'somewhere', played the opening video and stopped. It showed up on the 'Uninstall Program' in control panel page, which I did since I guess I want to start over.

After I went to W10 all my other programs and games, etc. moved over there fine. And I even installed some 'older' games, Panzer Elite on disc, and B-17 from download and they were ok.

Thanks, Steve

Hello Steve,

When you installed SH4 using the DVD it usually asks you if you want to install Directx 9.0c, Did you install it.
    Directx 9.0c has files in it that are used for games. You could try installing Directx9.0c if you haven't already.

Not sure if this will fix your problem but it is something to check out.

Good deal, after a complete re-start all went well with this install so I can now check SH WotP out. Now I'll just have to get over my virtual claustrophobia. Thanks, Steve

What did you do to get it going?

Glad to hear you are able to hit the high seas !!

Truly, not really sure. Just did a complete uninstall and started over. . . . One reason computers will always have the edge over me! So I'm looking forward to giving SH, WotP a go. Pretty serious learning curve, but I'll see how much time I can spend. Looks very interesting. My main sim is Wings Over Flanders Fields and primarily a flight sim guy. And I've have had a couple of armor ones hold my interest. Anyway on the WOFF site they listed the 'top 25' sims and Silent Hunter jumped out a me as a break from WWI flying. WWII Pacific front is of interest and the add-on of German U-boats operating in the Indian Ocean topped it of. 'If I can get that far'. Thanks for your feedback. Steve

Getting the game going is the main thing so you did good. I think you will enjoy SH4. I to fly a bit. I use Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Happy Sailing Captain !!

Thanks, I truly appreciate your help. I'll probably have some really stupid questions at some point. Not that I'm anywhere close, but is the U-Boat add on interesting? Flight sims for me is really all about WOFF, so well done, and some IL2. But I'll give the submarines a go! Steve

The U-Boat add on updates your version to 1.5 and there are some good updates in it. I don't do the U-Boat side of the game but updating to 1.5 also lets you download more mods that other people have created. Most good mods are for version 1.5.

If you don't know what version you have you can look at the main menu page and it is down in the bottom right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast