Thread: Losing Lock | Forums

I'm not really an in-flight expert, so i was wondering if you boys could give me some tips.

I know it's damn hard to battle say a Su-27 BVR when you're flying a F-15 yourself. But i was wondering if it's at all possible to break a lock on medium altitude. (so without using hills or the like) I've heard about avoiding radar when you're above 8000 ft. Does this go for the Su radars as well, or just for the F-15's?

I'd like to know this as in Multiplayer i end up being able to out-manoeuvre an R-27, but not several, as i seem to lose a lot of energy. So i'd rather avoid missiles altogether, although i doubt i'll ever shoot an Su-27 down anyway

Another small question. It seems you can attach a pod to your a-10 with chaffs in them, what's the big difference with the chaffs transported in the plane itself? And the smoke rocket? I couldn't find info about this in the manual. :S

Last one: I tried the refueling track Ironhand made, and had a lot of fun! (thanks for doing that!) I noticed the basket altitude which you really need to know imo. I tried the same with the boom system on the F-15 (the boom on the KC-10 seems to be 5ft lower than the basket on the IL-78) But i got this info through trial and error. Where can i find the altitude of the basket and speed of the refuel plane? I only noticed the closing distance between the 2 aircraft in the refueling hud.

Thanks,

Ralf

[This message was edited by Raffel on Tue January 20 2004 at 03:00 AM.]

[This message was edited by Raffel on Tue January 20 2004 at 03:07 AM.]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I'm not really an in-flight expert, so i was wondering if you boys could give me some tips.

I know it's damn hard to battle say a Su-27 BVR when you're flying a F-15 yourself. But i was wondering if it's at all possible to break a lock on medium altitude. (so without using hills or the like) I've heard about avoiding radar when you're above 8000 ft. Does this go for the Su radars as well, or just for the F-15's?

I'd like to know this as in Multiplayer i end up being able to out-manoeuvre an R-27, but not several, as i seem to lose a lot of energy. So i'd rather avoid missiles altogether, although i doubt i'll ever shoot an Su-27 down anyway

Another small question. It seems you can attach a pod to your a-10 with chaffs in them, what's the big difference with the chaffs transported in the plane itself? And the smoke rocket? I couldn't find info about this in the manual. :S

Last one: I tried the refueling track Ironhand made, and had a lot of fun! (thanks for doing that!) I noticed the basket altitude which you really need to know imo. I tried the same with the boom system on the F-15 (the boom on the KC-10 seems to be 5ft lower than the basket on the IL-78) But i got this info through trial and error. Where can i find the altitude of the basket and speed of the refuel plane? I only noticed the closing distance between the 2 aircraft in the refueling hud.

Thanks,

Ralf

[This message was edited by Raffel on Tue January 20 2004 at 03:00 AM.]

[This message was edited by Raffel on Tue January 20 2004 at 03:07 AM.]

You can break lock in more than one way.
    1. Hit the deck and use ground clutter. This decreases the effectiveness of your radar due to ground clutter though.
    2. Beam the target (fly at 90deg) so that doppler notch comes into effect, and you appear to be stationary compared to background reflections.
    3. Fly out of the cone of the targets radar...Not advised, he'll agressively scan the skies and will reaquire you.
    4. Obtain a firing solution first by using F-Pole tactics. Fire first, he has to break lock to evade your missile.

At the end of the day you're flying a 25+ton lump of metal, you can't hide it easy!

Howler. CO. 99th Skywolves.
    Howler, CO.
    99th Skywolves squadron.

It is difficult to fly with eagles when you work with turkeys...

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

unfortunately, it's very hard to get an Su-27 on radar (with ECM on) let alone locked on. So i think the last one is out of the question

So when you beam the target, you eventually circle to the side of your target right? Or will that give you away as well?

I think number 1 is out of the question as well when it comes to flying over ocean isn't it?