Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Secure your account with 2-Step Verification | Forums

Secure your account with 2-Step Verification

Hi Folks,

Following your feedback and the many requests to add this feature we are happy to announce that 2 Step Verification is now available.

What is 2-Step Verification?

For those who don’t know, 2-Step Verification (also known as 2 Factor Authentication) is an optional system in which you can add an extra layer of security to your account by taking advantage of components that are unique to oneself.

This can come in a few forms from an e-mail to text messages or in our case an authenticator app for your smartphone.

When logging into Uplay you will be asked to provide a unique code that is randomly generated once every 30 seconds via an application on your phone.

What this means is that should someone ever manage to get hold of your account information and try to access your account with it, they will be asked for this code too and without your phone, they’re not going to have it.

If you’d like to enable 2-Step Verification you can follow the instructions below:

1. Go to https://account-uplay.ubi.com/account/security-settings or click “Set up 2-Step Verification” in the Uplay PC settings menu

2. Click on the “Get Started” button

3. Download the Google Authenticator app for your smartphone
      (NOTE: Google Authenticator only available on iOS and Android. Windows Phone users can try to use the Windows “Authenticator” app but this is not guaranteed to work)

4. After downloading the Google Authenticator, open it and select “Set up account” from the option menu and chose your preferred method

5. After setting up your device, enter the code generated by the app to complete the synchronization

6. Take note of your recovery codes and click “Finish”. These codes will be used should your authenticator desynchronize or if you lose your phone and need to re-download the app

7. Confirm that you’re 2-Step Verification is enabled

8. That’s it, you’re good to go!

Should you encounter any issues with 2-Step Verification, please see the post here on how to resolve this issue.

The Uplay Team
    Last edited by Ubi-Kay; 12-08-2016 at 11:57 AM.

There is no application for windows phone users? So, they can't use 2-step verification.

Is there a way to get a code via sms (on registered phone), like other similar services have.
    Last edited by ThePocetnik; 06-21-2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ThePocetnik View Post
    There is no application for windows phone users? So, they can't use 2-step verification.

Is there a way to get a code via sms (on registered phone), like other similar services have.
    There is. Here's the Microsoft alternative: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...r/9wzdncrfj3rj
    It works just the same as Ubisoft uses Google's Google Authenticator implementation of 2FA.

This is great, thanks. One question, though—is there any way to make Uplay treat my PC as a "safe" login zone? Right now, I have to enter a code each time I open Uplay. This differs from Origin or Steam, which only ask for a code if you had previously logged out, or if you're opening the client or logging into their website from a different computer/device, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JKeift View Post
    This is great, thanks. One question, though—is there any way to make Uplay treat my PC as a "safe" login zone? Right now, I have to enter a code each time I open Uplay. This differs from Origin or Steam, which only ask for a code if you had previously logged out, or if you're opening the client or logging into their website from a different computer/device, etc.
    We're looking into it for a future iteration

Regarding the 6 unique recovery codes shown in Step 6: are these codes one-use only? Or can they be used multiple times? I've tried using one of my unique codes more than once, and it appears it's invalid after the first use. If I were to use all 6 of my unique recovery codes, would there be a way to attain 6 more for future use?

Quote Originally Posted by JKeift View Post
    THIS, I have 2 step verification in almost everything I use, be it Battle.net, using its own authenticator, google, dropbox, ea, etc. I tried Ubisoft's implementation two days ago and I just deactivated it. Why? Because it's a mess and a hassle. It ask me for the google autheticator code EVERY TIME. Even if I don't log out, I just put the computer to sleep, I have to do it all again. I have put more google authenticator codes in these two days with ubisoft than in the past weeks across all of my accounts. Is it so hard to put a "don't ask in this computer again" option in the code? Everybody has it, why not Ubisoft?

While this remains, I'm not using the useless implementation made by Ubisoft.

BTW, to the previous poster, yes, the recovery codes are one use only.

Quote Originally Posted by valrond1 View Post
    Is it so hard to put a "don't ask in this computer again" option in the code? Everybody has it, why not Ubisoft?
    Yeah, it kind of is

We need to make sure that we can reliably track your account and the attached devices while also respecting the security of your private information and remaining within our own terms and conditions to attain a unique identifier for the device you're using to log-in. We want to make sure we have a reliable means to identify your device for a balance of optimum security and protection of your privacy and we need to establish a service around that so that we can identify those devices.

That's simply not ready yet unfortunately

We wanted to release the feature as is for those who wish to have the additional account security right now... after all, there was really no reason NOT to. The intention however has always been to add an option to "remember a device" in some way so that you don't have to enter your code every time you log in. It's just not that simple of a task and is something we have elected to add later.

Hope that clears things up.

Is there an problem with 2 step verification for PC? I'm receiving codes from the authenticator but when entered I get an error mesage and this consistently happens with every code I receive. So far this 2 step process has done nothing for me but lock me out of my UPlay.
     1 people found this helpful

Community Representative Black_Widow9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota_bo View Post
    Is there an problem with 2 step verification for PC? I'm receiving codes from the authenticator but when entered I get an error mesage and this consistently happens with every code I receive. So far this 2 step process has done nothing for me but lock me out of my UPlay.
    Hello and welcome to the Forums,

Please take a look at the troubleshooting on the Google Account Help page, for this issue. If you're still having trouble, contact Ubisoft Support so they can assist you.

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast