Chessmaster installation problems on Windows 10

I realize this has been visited several times, I have read through several of the helps on this forum and others. I have tried the fixes suggested to no avail.

I have the original three discs, and when I insert disc 1, I right-click the setup.exe file and run as administrator. I go through a few clicks to accept terms, make sure direct x is unchecked etc. Once I click install, the status bar jumps quickly to about 25 % of the bar, the words above the bar say "removing applications". It never progresses beyond this point. It remains in this status while I listen to the disc spinning. After a while, i receive a 1603 error code--fatal installation. I would love to figure this out and be able to play again. Any help will be welcome.

Thanks

Leon

The fact that you're receiving a message about "removing applications" seems to indicate that you have the checkbox to install DirectX checked. Why else would it be trying to remove something if you hadn't selected to install it?

Also, did you uncheck the box to install Adobe Reader?

Anyway, try the install again with both checkboxes (Adobe Reader and DirectX) unselected. If that still doesn't work, let me know.

Chessmaster 10th Edition Installation problem on Window 10

Originally Posted by KHollister Go to original post
    The fact that you're receiving a message about "removing applications" seems to indicate that you have the checkbox to install DirectX checked. Why else would it be trying to remove something if you hadn't selected to install it?

Also, did you uncheck the box to install Adobe Reader?

Anyway, try the install again with both checkboxes (Adobe Reader and DirectX) unselected. If that still doesn't work, let me know.
    Hi It does end up with completion up to disc 3, but fail to install as showing error 1625 by window. Even after repeating re installation same message appeared. Do you have any solution for that , Thanks.

Is there any other message you're getting other than 'Error 1625'?

Windows10 problem

Originally Posted by KHollister Go to original post
    Is there any other message you're getting other than 'Error 1625'?
    I have installed each instruction (unckecked boxes, patches). The install is ready because when i run the direct acces no run, no display anything. i have Windows 10

Please help me

Saying you "followed all the instructions" isn't really helpful in figuring out what your problem is.

- Where did you get your copy of Chessmaster?

- Did you remember to install as the Administator?

- Did you install the version of DirectX that came with Chessmaster?

- Did you install all the updates?

Please answer these questions, and hopefully I can help.

Win 10 success

My laptop required a reinstall of Windows 10 yesterday. I was able to successfully reinstall Chessmaster 10 primarily following the instructions here.

The only other tidbits I would offer:

1. I installed the DirectX SDK which adds all the directx runtime files (available at microsoft site). That solved a snag I had with reinstalling the GM edition and I had no directx issues with CM10.

2. My install wouldn't start until I set compatibility mode at Windows XP SP3 and "run as administrator" on both setup.exe and game.exe (on GM edition I used Vista SP2)

Everything was fine after that and reinstalling the US patches.

Thanks for the resources here.
     1 people found this helpful