Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CheeseMaster9K@Ubi.com: No one to play? | Forums

Hi guys, here's my story: I saw a mpeg of Chessmaster 9K on the net and I loved it, the idea of using it to play with other people on the net, anytime, 24/7, made me *have to* buy it.

So, I hushed to the PC and installed it.It has been about 4 hours since I first joined CMLive and there's exactly 0 (zero) people available for chess. How come? There are hundreds of people online at ubi.com playing other games but no one to play chess? Is it always like this? Or it some problem with the chess server? Maybe today is some kind of global religious weekend that I am not aware off?

I would also like to know if it is possible to connect with CM9K to some other server, not ubi.com then. And if so, which are the good servers, where I could find some people willing to learn and have some fun?

Thank you,
    Effenberg
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi guys, here's my story: I saw a mpeg of Chessmaster 9K on the net and I loved it, the idea of using it to play with other people on the net, anytime, 24/7, made me *have to* buy it.

So, I hushed to the PC and installed it.It has been about 4 hours since I first joined CMLive and there's exactly 0 (zero) people available for chess. How come? There are hundreds of people online at ubi.com playing other games but no one to play chess? Is it always like this? Or it some problem with the chess server? Maybe today is some kind of global religious weekend that I am not aware off?

I would also like to know if it is possible to connect with CM9K to some other server, not ubi.com then. And if so, which are the good servers, where I could find some people willing to learn and have some fun?

Thank you,
    Effenberg

Welcome onboard pal, as everyone knows, everyone but u, the online play has always been CM weakness till now...(we all hope).
    Theoriyically the next version of the game, out in a month or so, will change this... "issue".
    So no wonder that u find none to play with, and the answer is NO, u can't connect to other servers.

Try the Chessmaster10 Demo - there are usualy people there you can play with.

Thank you for your replies.

I had no idea the OnLine feature of ChessMaster was that weak. Honestly, not to be an *** or something, but what the game box and every web site that sells CM states, I thought it was the opposite. The idea that this is the best Chess software around and that it had thousands of people playing it online was sort of implied.

Anyway, I believe they will work it out: If they develop a quick, intuitive and small system, with no banners, no spam, etc, people will come.

Also because, if they don't, IMHO it's just a matter of time before someone works out a way to connect CM to other game servers. I thought about that yesterday. It would take some debugging, network logging, etc, but it's probably totally doable. If I wasn't so tired, I would investigate on that hehehe Would be the hell of a SourceForge project.

Of course that would most likely be illegal, because CM is not OpenSoftware. But if in the future Ubi fails on doing it by themselves, they should release a CM SDK or something and allow people to develop for it. After all, the bigger the buzz around CM, bigger sales they will get...

I guess I'll keep on playing the game AI personalities for a while, I have a lot to learn before playing real people anyway.

Effenberg

Chesmater 10th Edition's online module is very strong. There are some problems now with connecting to people behind a symmetric NAT but everything will be ok soon.

and there's always someone there to play with

I just bought CM9K and I am planning on using it for a year or more before buying CM10th. Legal software (not to mention the new releases) is *very* expensive in the third world

Well, I have some more doubts, maybe someone can answer this questions:

(1) I have not downloaded CM10th, but from what people are saying, if I understood it right, it has a exclusive online gaming server? Once you connect there you only see CM10th users?

(2) Why would they do it? That makes no sense. Imagine if "ICQ Version y" was a totally separated network from "ICQ Version y+1". I've never seen any company develop in such a way. Unless this is an alpha/beta stage situation, before the full implementation of the new system?

(3) If this really is temporary, at some point CM9K users will have the option of connecting to this new service and playing CM10th users? This has to happen at some point, even if the programs are a little different, protocol compatibility is not a problem to implement.

(4) If this "isolation" of CM9K server from CM10th network is not temporary, is it an strategy to force people to buy an upgrade? If so, it would not be a smart/decent move. CM9K users have no responsability on the insuccess of it's online gaming system, at least I don't have any part on that. Yet, I paid for a software that claimed I would be able to play thousands of people online.

(5) In CM10th, did they at least cared enough to pay the ChessMaster a decent haircut? The guy totally needs it.

Thanks,
    Effenberg

PS: I'm trying to use Winboard and freechess.org... The GUI sux, it lacks lots of features, etc. But still they are free stuff with lots of players online. I feel stupid for buying CM9K...

lol +++ very nicz move dude, the hair cut thing rocks, it's by far the best suggestion in this forum. I'm dead laughing !

To your questions:

(1) Yes, if you can call them that. The game hasn't been released yet so they are all just Chessmaster 10th Edition users on borrowed time.

(2) Would do what? release a demo or allow only 10th edition players?
    Allowing a demo is, to me, the smartest move they have made so far. For their own economical aspect but also for the players who will know a lot more about the product that they buy.
    If it's about only allowing 10th edition players then I also think it's an economical reason. If they allowed CM 9000 players to play on the 10th edition server then I would've stayed with my 9000 edition. I think that the part that sells this product is the new online fature and if players would have access to it with their old 9000 edition Ubisoft wouldn't earn any money.

(3) No, htis should not be allowed in my opinion. Chessmaster 9000 users has the option to upgrade to Chessmaster 10th edition if they want to for a smaller fee.
    Should a new player who doesn't own any chessmaster games be forced to spend $ 39 on the 10th edition to play online. While the old veteran who owns various Chessmaster titles, including 9000 get online play on the 10th edition for free when it's him who doesn't even have the 10th edition at all. This just seems stupid to me.

(4) I think it is a very smart move by Ubisoft. And yes the 9000 version does say that you can play online with other players at ubi.com. And you can, but it isn't Ubisofts fault that no people want to play there. It had players playing when it was a new game, but it's old and the community have given up on it. That's just the way it is. No gaming company can keep supporting a game forever. In my opinion the Chessmaster 9000 has been decleared dead.

(5) Yeah lol I think he is forgotten by now. Other than the title of the game and the icon of his personality there's no more Gandalf the grey in the game.

EDIT: Typo (damn I'm bad at speling)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast