View Poll Results: Did you like the news?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Best news in a long time!

72 47.37%
  • I am cautiously optimistic

53 34.87%
  • Nah, I want another AC in 2016

18 11.84%
  • Really disappointing news

9 5.92%

Thread: 2017 AC Game A Total Revamp Set in Egypt | Forums

Originally Posted by ze_topazio Go to original post
    The civilians in Havana and the Spanish soldiers speak in Spanish, the Portuguese soldiers also speak in Portuguese, I don't remember if the natives of the area say any word in their language but I think they do.
    Yes you are right, and Governor Torres is an example of a Spaniard speaking fluent but accented English and still coming off as a very compelling character. See it can be done well if people try.

But you know, Black Flag has a Welshman as a protagonist and has a mostly English-speaking cast so it didn't stand out. I am told that the Portuguese spoken by that ship of the coast of Brazil which you rob for Black Bart is famously bad.

So two of one, half of the other.

Originally Posted by harsab Go to original post
    What worries me the most is how a very small percentage of AC fans on here & reddit are talking about the story.
    The last game of Ubisoft that had a good story was BLACK FLAG, and since then you have weak stories and weak games in Unity, Rogue and Syndicate. So yes you are right But the thing is the experience of those games is that it's lowered expectations for story and they sold well enough that Ubisoft probably feel they can cut their losses.

If I were being cynical, I'd say that Ubisoft don't want to pay top money for a good writer and give him full reign, and that they don't want to meet Darby's price, so that's why they are trying to get by on gameplay and setting rather than writing.

Most people are just concerned with the gameplay, animations etc. The story is what makes or breaks it for me & this game looks so promising.
    Well, it largely depends on how they handle history. What approach they take to Cleopatra and Caesar, because those two are essentially rock-stars of Historical Fiction genre, highly overexposed but bestsellers and anything to do with them tends to be popular...cf, the Cleopatra movies, that Rome TV Show and so many other things.

Fundamentally, I think Ubisoft want to position the setting, get the monuments right and form a story around the tombs and its mysteries, focus on the landscape, so I think that what will define ORIGINS more than the story is the quality of the side-missions, because whatever else one can say about Unity and Syndicate, their side missions were generally not good. I mean they were mostly just fighting and looting people, you didn't have really good puzzle/exploration or tomb missions and other stuff like you did in the Ezio games, in AC3 and Black Flag (and also, to its credit, Rogue). I mean Unity had an amazing historically rich setting and all we got was Napoleon's love triangle and dialogue that is marrow-chilling dreck. London likewise had so much potential and we didn't get any tombs even if there are a lot of stuff there. So if ORIGINS focuses on that, then I think the game will be worthwhile. This is a setting that could really use the AC3 approach of excessive side missions and content, because it's so big and amazing that it deserves it.

Also I would like there to be more detail in side missions. Like UNITY had the same model and character design for the paris side stories, so much so that there was no difference between "Famous guy" and random street NPC. There were only a few original character models. Compare that to AC3 and Black Flag where you had a lot of unique character model and animations. Like the Homestead...I mean that's what Encyclopedia of Common Man was all about (I actually completed that achievement last year and let me say that as time consuming and annoying as it is, few achievements gave me as much pleasure). So stinginess in character design model would be another issue.

About the main story I will say that ORIGINS is very hard to f--k up. UNITY is very easy to get wrong because a Revolutionary situation in a fast-changing city requires crazy details and really intricate writing and they were not up to snuff. They were trying to shoehorn Brotherhood's Rome in a Paris that is not like that at all. AC3 had a similar problem, because revolutions are very hard to do well...not impossible mind you, just hard, and it could work but it needs commitment. The American Revolution was hard enough, the French Revolution which is infinitely more complicated, just broke Ubisoft. In the case of ORIGINS, the story set in Cleopatra's early years will revolve around palace intrigue, civil war and foreign influence over a large territory. So eventually you would be going back to say AC1's Kingdom where multiple parts will be under different territory or in AC2, where each city state has its own ruler...and palace Intrigue is also part of REVELATIONS.

I think Revelations will be the model for Origins. The focus and interest in Revelations is knowledge, finding Altair's library, looking up famous monuments and following clues. So that's a good model to use for Origins. And the little we get, the plot is about a mystery and trying to find secrets and so on, is in that direction. Because Bayek's goal of finding secrets and learning mystery aligns with the player's interest in learning about AC Lore and learning about Egypt. The advertising is focusing on setting more than character...so that works there. I mean in Unity and Syndicate, the focus was that Arno and the Fryes were these cool characters, that the former had this epic Romeo and Juliet love story, and the success of the games depended on its ability to sell you that to the extent that you can ignore everything else. In the case of Syndicate what made it work was that the villains were interesting and better written than the heroes and a few sequences, especially Roth and Jacob, were pretty epic. So that raised Syndicate in higher level.

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by VestigialLlama4 Go to original post
    Yes you are right, and Governor Torres is an example of a Spaniard speaking fluent but accented English and still coming off as a very compelling character. See it can be done well if people try.

But you know, Black Flag has a Welshman as a protagonist and has a mostly English-speaking cast so it didn't stand out. I am told that the Portuguese spoken by that ship of the coast of Brazil which you rob for Black Bart is famously bad.
    The phrases are not badly constructed and the pronunciation is not really bad, but the dialogues sound very stiff and unnatural, nobody speaks like that in real life, they also speak very slowly, we Portuguese are known to speak very fast, so much that the Brazilians have a hard time understanding us without getting used to it first, so they sound like a foreigner trying hard to speak perfect Portuguese without screwing up, which makes them sound unnatural and kinda distracting for native Portuguese speakers.

The Lisbon civilians from Rogue have the same issue.

Nothing compares to the Brazilian civilians in the modern day sections of AC3, that was beyond horrible, not only the dialogues make no sense, the people making the voices sound like Portuguese people making a very bad impression of the Brazilian accent.

Originally Posted by VestigialLlama4 Go to original post
    Fundamentally, I think Ubisoft want to position the setting, get the monuments right and form a story around the tombs and its mysteries, focus on the landscape, so I think that what will define ORIGINS more than the story is the quality of the side-missions, because whatever else one can say about Unity and Syndicate, their side missions were generally not good. I mean they were mostly just fighting and looting people, you didn't have really good puzzle/exploration or tomb missions and other stuff like you did in the Ezio games, in AC3 and Black Flag (and also, to its credit, Rogue). I mean Unity had an amazing historically rich setting and all we got was Napoleon's love triangle and dialogue that is marrow-chilling dreck. London likewise had so much potential and we didn't get any tombs even if there are a lot of stuff there. So if ORIGINS focuses on that, then I think the game will be worthwhile. This is a setting that could really use the AC3 approach of excessive side missions and content, because it's so big and amazing that it deserves it.
    I have mixed feelings about this. The stories of the side missions in AC3 were often good, however execution was often less than stellar (Like the wedding cutscene) and was very disconnected from the main story. ACU had a great number of side quests, much more so than any other game, but most were very poor quality in every way. ACS had more memorable side quests with better workmanship/quality and more relevance to the story, but were boring to replay due to poor stories.

What'd I'd like is the decent stories of AC3, quantity of ACU, and relevance of ACS. So far, I'm not disappointed. The one Medjay quest we saw looks interesting, fun, and relevant to Bayek and his story.

Megas_Doux's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by ze_topazio Go to original post

Nothing compares to the Brazilian civilians in the modern day sections of AC3, that was beyond horrible, not only the dialogues make no sense, the people making the voices sound like Portuguese people making a very bad impression of the Brazilian accent.

I beg to differ my fellow iberian:

3:58

If that's an spanish native speaker person, then Syndicate's combat is awesome......

Originally Posted by Sigma 1313 Go to original post
    I have mixed feelings about this. The stories of the side missions in AC3 were often good, however execution was often less than stellar (Like the wedding cutscene) and was very disconnected from the main story. ACU had a great number of side quests, much more so than any other game, but most were very poor quality in every way. ACS had more memorable side quests with better workmanship/quality and more relevance to the story, but were boring to replay due to poor stories.

What'd I'd like is the decent stories of AC3, quantity of ACU, and relevance of ACS. So far, I'm not disappointed. The one Medjay quest we saw looks interesting, fun, and relevant to Bayek and his story.
    The Homestead are not the only Side Missions...you had captain peg leg trinket collectibles, you had Almanac pages to chase (which yes sucked...but it was wonderfully repurposed for sea shanties in Black Flag) and you had the Captain Kidd Tomb Missions, you also had clubs and frontiersman and multiple challenges, you had ship missions, you had folklore stories and so on.

Most of ACU's and AC:Syndicate's Side Mission concept was stolen without credit from AC3 only without the better detailed character model designs. Like Paris Side Stories was based on Frontiersman Stories, and all the little legends and tall tales you go to debunk. Investigation and reconstruction originated in the Mad Doctor's Castle mission and in the hunting schematic.

BLACK FLAG had even better, mostly because the side missions looped back into the Jackdaw.
    You want loot...you need to upgrade your ship. So that means you take Assassination missions, you find and rob warehouses, you take and smash forts, you dive underneath the ocean to get upgrades for your ships, you scout and hunt treasures and then once you upgrade your ships you take out the Legendary Ships. So there's a progression and escalation in the Side missions that is organically tied to unlocking the map and narrative progression. You have motivations and incentives to do many things and not one thing. Since you'll be sailing a lot, you are also incentivized to collect sea shanties or you;ll get bored listening to everything. The only pure non-progression collectible is those messages in the bottle but that feeds into the Lore about the First Civilization and it ties to the story in a positive way, like if you do it right, the lost bottle will be in the Forest with the Observatory right about Kavanagh's grave and it explains the Sage.Black Flag also had variety...you also had in addition to that, those Assassin Brotherhood missions and you had cutscenes and story in that. You also had those Stela puzzles which were honestly the weakest part...the Stargazing puzzles in ORIGINS is already an improveme

So basically you want the side-mission structure and loop of black flag, with the character design, detail and variety of AC3, and the Tombs of the Ezio games and AC3, and the Puzzles of some kind or another. You also need a side mission that provides stuff about the Lore or Background. AC2 had Altair's Codex/ACB had Ezio's Memories, AC: Revelations didn't really have that which is a weakness...AC3 had the Captain Kidd letters which told a nice story but it didn't tie to the Lore...the Bottles of Kavanagh did that in Black Flag. UNITY didn't have that anywhere, none of the side missions told us anything...I mean Darby McDevitt mentioned we were supposed to get Lore collectibles about Molay's book and that would have been nice...Syndicate gave us those Juno cutscenes in the Lydia Frye scenes.

So the side missions need to touch on several things at once...it needs to include
    1) Side Missions with Original Cutscenes (Homestead/Brotherhood missions) 2) Tombs, 3) Puzzles, 4) Lore, 5) Collectibles, 6) Activities and Gameplay stuff (i.e. Fighting, Brawling and so on: your thief/mercenary and other faction missions).