Thread: F-15 Radar/Missle Effectiveness | Forums

Is it just me or does the Eagle's radar have serious issues. I can't get a lock on a target to save my life. I am 17nm out and next thing I know I have a missle up my ace.

What range should I be able to fire the AIM-120? I thought it was 50nm or so. So then why does it not lock up until I get to 10nm? I know that when trailing a Mig, that the missle's range is cut in half, but head on, I expect better.

Maybe I am doing something totally wrong here. When I fly a Mig, I have no prbs with the radar. Very frustrating.

Also, what AOF is best for engaging bandits? Coming in high or low?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Is it just me or does the Eagle's radar have serious issues. I can't get a lock on a target to save my life. I am 17nm out and next thing I know I have a missle up my ace.

What range should I be able to fire the AIM-120? I thought it was 50nm or so. So then why does it not lock up until I get to 10nm? I know that when trailing a Mig, that the missle's range is cut in half, but head on, I expect better.

Maybe I am doing something totally wrong here. When I fly a Mig, I have no prbs with the radar. Very frustrating.

Also, what AOF is best for engaging bandits? Coming in high or low?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Combination of things.

There are problems with the F-15's RADAR. The Russian ECM is also far too strong. Those 2 may be related.

The Russian RADAR is apparently too arcade and as such a bit too "ÃÅ“ber" (compared to RL, from what I've seen/heard).

The F-15's RADAR is also not easy to use. Make sure you are aggressively changing elevation and also using the TEWS and AWACS to have the target at your 12 oclock.

And the AMRAAM is nerfed. Pretty seriously. Every source I've checked, including some current military people all indicate that the RL AMRAAM is a much hungrier missile that is much more deadly (IOW - hard to beat) than what we have in LOMAC.

Many of these issues are being (or are supposed to be, or should be, lol) addressed in the patch.

I hope they do not make it "easier" to use though, by eliminating any of the pilot workload, as that would just be more arcade crap.

As for AMRAAM range, make sure that you get the large dashed circle indication before firing. That happens around 15NM or so. I find best results launching between 12 and 10NM, while going over Mach1. (remember that the faster you are going, the less missile fuel will be used to accelerate it and instead be used for maintaining speed/E, thus helping it's range)

========================
    http://www.blitzpigs.com

The AMRAAM seems to be limited to no more than 10-15nm head on, 5-10nm rear aspect (assuming co-alt, co-speed). This should be fixed next patch, though it certainly won't be effective from 50nm (should be approx 20nm effective level range).

Higher is better for better missile range. But if the bandit is really low, it could cause your radar to lose lock. Higher launch speed also helps missile range.
    Flowers across the land in BoB! http://airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2BOB/images/updates/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fennec_P:
    The AMRAAM seems to be limited to no more than 10-15nm head on, 5-10nm rear aspect (assuming co-alt, co-speed). This should be fixed next patch, though it certainly won't be effective from 50nm (should be approx 20nm effective level range).

Higher is better for better missile range. But if the bandit is really low, it could cause your radar to lose lock. Higher launch speed also helps missile range.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Echoooo.....ooooo....ooo...oo..o

========================
    http://www.blitzpigs.com

Ok, that solidifies what was in the manual. I have since tested the theories in FBP and the radar seems to be preforming better. Maybe this bug is limited to MP and Single Mission play?

Thanks again for the quick replies.

Happy hunting.

Echoooo.....ooooo....ooo...oo..o

My IP address lives 9 minutes away from yours.
    Flowers across the land in BoB! http://airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2BOB/images/updates/

Banned
    Right now the F-15 is very frustrating the way it works. I hope its fixed soon

em i hearing echooos here?

I just posted a link to a video I made which demonstrates effective use of AMRAAMs in TWS mode at long distance. Su-27 pilots "Excellent" AI, they never stood a chance.

F-15s vs Su-27s BVR

Many thanks to VP-Warrior for hosting on his excellent site.

All comments gratefully received.