Thread: Ranked Matchmaking FAQ | Forums

Electr1cPanda's Avatar Community Developer

Ranked Matchmaking FAQ

RANKED MATCHMAKING FAQ

What is the difference between Ranked and Casual?

Ranked play is a system that evaluates and determines rank based on player skill, and matches up players and teams of similar levels. The HUD is more limited than in casual, and you will be choosing spawn and objective locations as part of your gameplay strategy.

Casual is a great place to practice against a wider variety of skill levels with no pressure, but every single game counts in Ranked.

Do casual games affect my ranking?

No, and they never will.

We do measure players' skill in casual, but that skill rating is hidden, only ever used for matchmaking purposes, and is completely separate from your ranked records. Casual is for playing and experimenting without pressure.

How does the ranking system work?

The Rainbow Six Siege skill rating system is based on the Trueskill algorithm. It's an evolution of the ELO/Glicko rating systems that works better for multiplayer games (ELO and Glicko are designed for 1v1 games like chess).

Your skill rank is initially computed after 5 placement games, from your skill rating value (for math geeks, the mu variable). Following that, it's updated after each Ranked game you play.

Your skill rank is specific to the region you're playing in (Europe, North America, Asia, etc.). Players from different regions almost never play against each other, and since skill isn't an absolute measure but a relative one (it doesn't tell precisely how good you are -- only whether or not you're better than another player), ranks can't be directly compared across regions (RTS and MOBA players call that the "Korean bronze" effect).

This means that if you move halfway across the world, you will have to go through your placement games again and find out how good you are compared to other players in your new region.

What are the ranks I can achieve?

There are currently 20 ranked levels to work through. Copper, Bronze, Silver and Gold ranks I-IV, Platinum ranks I-III, and Diamond.

Why do I get matched up against players with higher or lower skill levels?

Our Ranked matchmaking tries to match you with people of roughly similar skill. Currently, our matchmaking system casts a wide net, so you may end up matched up with players ranked above or below you. We programmed it this way as one of several measures we took to improve matchmaking times after the results we saw in the Closed Beta. As the playerbase continues to grow and more people are competing in Ranked games, we will make the matchmaking criteria in Ranked stricter.

What makes my rank change? What parameters are taken into account?

Exactly two things:

• The relative skill levels of the players/teams in the game.
    • Whether or not your team won the game.

KDA doesn't matter. Your score doesn't matter. Rainbow Six is a team-based game and as such, the only thing that accurately determines whether you're a good R6S player is your ability to make your team win games.

In addition, if there's a large skill difference between the two teams and the outcome of the game is what the system expects, the skill adjustment after the game will be minimal (if a bronze team loses to a gold team, it's unsurprising and the skill levels won't change much -- now if the bronze team wins, that's a whole different story).

There is, however, one exception to all that: if you abandon a ranked game (whether it's by ragequitting, AFKing or getting votekicked out), it's always counted as a loss for you, even if your team wins.

When the game server crashes or you experience other disconnects while playing Ranked, the intention is that you will not ever suffer a penalty or lose rank. We’re aware of bugs that are still causing issues for some players and are working to fix this in a future update.

What's in development?

In addition to the matchmaking updated mentioned above (which should result in more evenly-matched games and a better play experience for all players) and the standard fare of bugfixes, we're closely monitoring what happens in the game and are working on the following:

• Try to matchmake premade groups against premade groups: our system already considers premades stronger than their individual players solo queuing, but ideally we'd like to have the same number of premades on each side of a game. A 5-man premade has an overwhelming communications advantage against 5 randoms, and instead of modeling that as a numeric skill boost, we'd rather have them play against another 5-man premade with comms.
    • Reduce dynamics in unbalanced matches: going up against the expectations of the system (e.g. a bronze team wins against a platinum team) results in large rank updates for all the players involved. We're tweaking values to smooth out the curve. Ideally we'd want a game to never have you win or lose more than 1 rank, except in truly exceptional circumstances.
    • Size of divisions: right now it's relatively easy to move through the middle divisions, and a lot more difficult to reach the extreme ends of the spectrum. We're looking to balance this out a little further.

MITOX-3's Avatar Banned
    The system needs to look for players for longer instead of constantly matching me with unranked/bronze and silver players.

I have a W/L record of 61-2 (2 DCs where 1 of them i could return, but still counted as a loss even with a win) and I still only play against "not so good players" and I have been stuck in gold VI for 3 days. I usually queue with one or two other guys.

For ranked I rather wait 5 minutes than getting my stomp number 62.

Aerros's Avatar Junior Member
    Any plans on removing passive spotting (auto name above enemy player) and "you've been spotted" for ranked? : \

Will there be something in place to prevent, or minimize rank loss, when you lose a player or two, making a ranked game turn into a 4v5/3v5?

Originally Posted by Aerros Go to original post
    Any plans on removing passive spotting (auto name above enemy player) and "you've been spotted" for ranked? : \
    I agree. In an earlier blog on ubi website. You stated a minimal HUD. No passive spotting, no confirmed X when you kill someone, no crosshairs or frag indication. When will we see these PROMISED changes be applied.

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet21 Go to original post
    I agree. In an earlier blog on ubi website. You stated a minimal HUD. No passive spotting, no confirmed X when you kill someone, no crosshairs or frag indication. When will we see these PROMISED changes be applied.
    I like how you emphasized the word "promise" as a way to use their words against them, when you don't take the time to look on the forum for answers to your questions.

I've almost 60 rankeds played on Live version.
    Everytime i hit gold ranks i get error/dc and i drop back to silver. The more I play the lower i drop coz of dc/crash (after crash u can rejoin but still lose rank no matter the result of match, after error you cant even rejoin).

Basically I have friends that play well as well and get even more crashes/errors and they drop to even bronze while being gold few days back. ALL DUE TO CRASHES/ERROR CODES. It feels like ranked system is based on how lucky you are when it comes to errors and crashes. I hope You will reset ranks after you fix all those crashes and errors coz this is just adorable.

During beta I had 54 wins and got to Plat II before getting errors and other stuff which dropped me to gold.

Originally Posted by KNAL-LER Go to original post
    The system needs to look for players for longer instead of constantly matching me with unranked/bronze and silver players.

I have a W/L record of 61-2 (2 DCs where 1 of them i could return, but still counted as a loss even with a win) and I still only play against "not so good players" and I have been stuck in gold VI for 3 days. I usually queue with one or two other guys.

For ranked I rather wait 5 minutes than getting my stomp number 62.
    WHUT. How did you manage to find so many games T_T.

server disconnection

In your patch fix are you fixing the server disconnection issues, I have countlessly been kicked from ranked matches while I was doing phenomenal and cant get my KD or win loss above a 1.2 because of server disconnection. Its a different error every time and I am getting sick of it. You guys preached how the game was made for longevity but cant even keep the game operational for more than an hour or so. I was just disconnected two games in a row before when I was just 6 and 1.

Disconnected often on ranked

Will there be a reset on ranks :/

Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last ►►