Myst III won't launch

HI. I'm new, so I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I looked around but couldn't find anything that sounded close to my problem. I'm trying to play Exile...the game will install, but the startup screen won't appear when I try to start the game. Nothing happens. I've tried different compatibility settings, full install, older versions of QT, can't seem to unveil the problem. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2). I've played the game on this machine in the past, so I'm stumped as to why it won't play now. Thoughts?

Welcome to the Forums!

In general,
    -- a. Install Exile to your C: drive.
    ----- 1. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install Exile to D:.
    ----- 2. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    -- b. Start Exile from a fresh boot.
    ----- 1. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications. (Open the Control Panel, and select User Accounts. Your User Name should show Administrators under Group.)
    ----- 2. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 3. If you have only a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, for example), do NOT disable it!
    ----- 4. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Exile.
    -- c. Do NOT boot up with a CD or DVD in any drive.
    -- d. If the Exile disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- e. Start the game using the Exile icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the Exile disc.
    ----- 1. Except if the game won't start using the Desktop icon - see below.

The CD version of Exile is on 4 CD's, while the DVD version is on one DVD. Assuming that you have the DVD version of the game, some questions:

1. Did you get any error messages during your original Exile install, and if so, what was the wording of the message(s)?

2. How old is your DVD drive?

3. Have you recently cleaned the Exile DVD and/or the laser lenses in your DVD drive?

Pending answers to the above questions, some suggestions:

1. Try starting Exile from a fresh boot, as above.

2. Try starting Exile by clicking on the the DVD menu item.

3. Try starting Exile with the Run as administrator option enabled. (See How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista.)

wouldn't it be easier...

wouldn't it be easier if Ubisoft just updated the game and put it on Steam to distribute?? Exile is a great game even after all these years. If Cyan can update Myst and Riven to play on Steam, why not Ubisoft? Tx

Q: wouldn't it be easier if Ubisoft just updated the game and put it on Steam to distribute??
    A: Perhaps easier, but cost-effective -- apparently not so much.

Q: If Cyan can update Myst and Riven to play on Steam, why not Ubisoft?
    A: Probably cost.

Running any Myst game on Windows 7

Hey Heimdall ! Amazed and grateful to see you're still here ! Hello again Myst Guru.
    I've just updated Windows Vista to Windows 7. Remember when we said they could take our 98se from our cold dead hands ? (Still have one computer running that, but, currently no where to place it in house)
    The games, and others, would not work on Vista and I was wondering if they might, by chance, or Mystic intervention, work on Windows 7. All my searches have led me to the forums, but oddly, will not open the specific link after logging in. Would you be so kind to direct me to where I need to go, oh wise one ?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    - Nicodemus

Well, hello there. It's been a while -- quite a long while, actually!

Seems like I've always been here. Through good times and bad -- failed Forum "updates", new and supposedly better (low bid) Forum software platforms, whatever.

Yeah, had to love Win 98se. It ran all the games, didn't crash that often, made it easy to do a clean install without borking one's machine, etc, etc. Gone, but certainly not forgotten. < sigh >

Got any room for a small shrine containing your 98se machine? Seems appropriate, somehow....

There was more software that wouldn't run on Vista than would run. (If you watch "The Big Bang Theory", you'll recall that Bill Gates once slugged Sheldon for saying that more time should have been spent on Vista, to make it a real OS. Truer words, and all that!) Lots of software that wouldn't run on Vista will run on Win 7, but jumping through some hoops may be required.

"...will not open the specific link after logging in." What link were you trying to open?

Sorry. I was having trouble logging back in. Kept getting "Login Error". Found the Ubisoft account management site and used that.
    I think one of the links was this page. I was searching for "will Myst games run on Windows 7" and clicking various links.
    I haven't actually tried installing any of the games yet. I was preparing for issues by gathering threads like this. I will poke around the forum for info. I should probably do this on the computer and not the tablet so I can bookmark more easily.

Sometimes, an Ubi Forum login problem can be solved by clearing your browser cache. You can also switch browsers to Mozilla's Firefox or Google's Chrome.

Me, I'm happily using Firefox and also have Chrome installed (just in case).