Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Netspeed 101 | Forums

Originally posted by Force Recon's Mx3LL over at The Combat Zone:
    -------
    Ok,

This will hopefully get everyone on the same page as to how NetSpeed works. Also how to get the Smoothest most bug free experience outta RvS.

Contrary to the most popular opinions out there, Netspeed is not connection dependent as most of you would believe. Netspeed has more to do with your Refresh Rates than your connection. The unreal engine sends 64 bits per packet and therefore limits the framerate by way of netspeed so you do not exceede the bytes per second. In other words:

Netspeed = Refresh Rate * 64

So for those of you who use a NetSpeed of 20000 thinking its giving you great FPS you are probably not getting the 312 FPS and just creating your own Bugs and bottleneck. Which BTW makes it easier for those of us using the correct Netspeed to kill your laggy a$$.

What you need to do is 1st find out what your Monitor refesh rate is:

Right Click on your desktop
    Left Click on Properties
    Left Click on Settings TAB
    Left Click on Advanced
    Left Click on Monitor TAB

Look at the number in the small box under "Monitor Settings". Make sure "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box is checked.

If the number = 60 hertz (BAD) you need to choose the maximum number you can which should be about 85 hertz at a resolution of 1024 x 768. *This is Monitor dependent and not all Monitors can sustain the same Refresh rates. So choose the highest rated for your particular monitor.

Now if you are an nVidia user you need to also "Override" the refresh rates for your in-game resolution from "Default" to the max your Monitor can handle. To do this:

Right Click on your Desktop
    Left Click on Properties
    Left Click on Advanced
    Left Click on you GeForce TAB
    Left click on Refresh Rate Overrides
    Left click on Radio button: Override refresh rates

Now find your RvS in-game resolution and click on "Default". From the drop down box choose the refesh rate you previously determined to be the Max your monitor can handle eg.: 1024 x 768 @ 85 hertz etc

For those with ATI cards, I do not know if ATI provides a refesh rate tool. You can always grab one from majorgeeks.com etc and do the same as above.

Now that you have locked your refresh rate you need to calcuate your optimum Netspeed. So if you play RvS with a refresh rate of 85 hertz then you will need to set your Netspeed to 5500 by using the following formula:

or 85 * 64 = 5440 (round up to 5500)
    if your monitor can only do 75 hertz then it would be 75 * 64 = 4800

You should now have a much smoother experience with RvS and less bugs and/or lag.

Mango Platoon - http://www.mangoplatoon.com
    The Combat Zone Gaming Ladder - http://www.thecombatzone.net
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Originally posted by Force Recon's Mx3LL over at The Combat Zone:
    -------
    Ok,

This will hopefully get everyone on the same page as to how NetSpeed works. Also how to get the Smoothest most bug free experience outta RvS.

Contrary to the most popular opinions out there, Netspeed is not connection dependent as most of you would believe. Netspeed has more to do with your Refresh Rates than your connection. The unreal engine sends 64 bits per packet and therefore limits the framerate by way of netspeed so you do not exceede the bytes per second. In other words:

So for those of you who use a NetSpeed of 20000 thinking its giving you great FPS you are probably not getting the 312 FPS and just creating your own Bugs and bottleneck. Which BTW makes it easier for those of us using the correct Netspeed to kill your laggy a$$.

What you need to do is 1st find out what your Monitor refesh rate is:

Right Click on your desktop
    Left Click on Properties
    Left Click on Advanced
    Left Click on Monitor TAB

Look at the number in the small box under "Monitor Settings". Make sure "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box is checked.

If the number = 60 hertz (BAD) you need to choose the maximum number you can which should be about 85 hertz at a resolution of 1024 x 768. *This is Monitor dependent and not all Monitors can sustain the same Refresh rates. So choose the highest rated for your particular monitor.

Now if you are an nVidia user you need to also "Override" the refresh rates for your in-game resolution from "Default" to the max your Monitor can handle. To do this:

Right Click on your Desktop
    Left Click on Properties
    Left Click on Advanced
    Left Click on you GeForce TAB
    Left click on Refresh Rate Overrides
    Left click on Radio button: Override refresh rates

Now find your RvS in-game resolution and click on "Default". From the drop down box choose the refesh rate you previously determined to be the Max your monitor can handle eg.: 1024 x 768 @ 85 hertz etc

For those with ATI cards, I do not know if ATI provides a refesh rate tool. You can always grab one from majorgeeks.com etc and do the same as above.

Now that you have locked your refresh rate you need to calcuate your optimum Netspeed. So if you play RvS with a refresh rate of 85 hertz then you will need to set your Netspeed to 5500 by using the following formula:

or 85 * 64 = 5440 (round up to 5500)
    if your monitor can only do 75 hertz then it would be 75 * 64 = 4800

You should now have a much smoother experience with RvS and less bugs and/or lag.

i see

Uh....no.

Netspeed is the amount of data (per second or tick, can't remember) that your computer will send to the server.

Having a low netspeed will cap your frame rate, though (or so I was told), probably to synchronize the data to each frame.

I'd say put your netspeed at your upload speed divided by 10. So if you have a 256K upload, put it at 20,000, and if you have 56K, put it about 5000.

Put it even less if you are using TeamSpeak/Ventrillo/etc.

Banned
    I say that if the game was actually programmed correctly, we wouldn't even have to worry about these settings!

If this is capping your framerate based upon your refresh rate are we also assuming that you are using VSync and that your framerate is already capped by your refresh rate?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NonExpendible:
    I say that if the game was actually programmed correctly, we wouldn't even have to worry about these settings!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that has nothing to do with it.

If it was a static setting that no one was able to set, both cable and 56K players would be sending the same amount of data.

Now if it was set at a high rate, cable users would benefit, while 56K users would be lagging behind.

If it was set low, then cable users would be brought down to the 56K level, which isn't even enough to play this game anyways.

Settings have nothing to do about programming. Settings are there for the user to mess around with to achieve optimal performace for their system (since all systems are different). Thats why when you play console games, there are no system settings, other than for sound and screen ratio (since all TV's are different )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CHAOS-Atlantis:
    Uh....no.

Netspeed is the amount of data (per second or tick, can't remember) that your computer will send to the server.

Having a low netspeed will cap your frame rate, though (or so I was told), probably to synchronize the data to each frame.

I'd say put your netspeed at your upload speed divided by 10. So if you have a 256K upload, put it at 20,000, and if you have 56K, put it about 5000.

Put it even less if you are using TeamSpeak/Ventrillo/etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I used to think. I've since given Mx's tip a shot. It works.

You've obviously never played this game on 56k. A setting above about 3500 and everything goes to hell in a hurry.

Netspeed in this game has much more to do with your framerate and game smoothness as compared to your transfer rate than you might think. I used to run at a speed of 20,000 (I'm sitting on a 10MBit line). Since dropping to 5000 (64*72 = 4608), I've not only never experienced a single bug, but that choppiness which I got so commonly at 20,000 has all but disappeared during regular gameplay.

The capping of your fps by netspeed is only noticeable at speeds under ~3000. And since 56k runs adequately at between 3200 and 3600, and 64*60 = 3800, there's no reason to be setting your speeds that low.

I was skeptical too, but it honestly works. Got to remember, your bandwidth does you no good if your video performance can't keep up with it.

I think what Ryan posted is correct. The tick rate refers to how often a server can respond to data sent to it.

If you set your netspeed to high, you end up flooding the server and don't get any response back. There are a few websites out there that explain this in higher detail.

I've never tried setting my netspeed below 5500 because I do the 85Hz refresh rate thing, but, I remember reading somewhere that if you do set it lower it will cap your FPS.

I think the refresh rate x 64 thing comes from applying it to the average server. It stands to reason that a server with a higher tick rate capability would be able to handle 20000 netspeed without lag.

--------------------
    "obviously u dun kno dat a game is not real life.. nor will it eva come close to real life.. u wanna shoot ppl in a game like u can in real like..den get a life n quit games n join de army... n stop sitting on ur lazy *** n comp

Yeah this formula can work but it really depends on your network card as well. This unreal engine sends 64 bits per packet is true but also at 128 as well in some games like Quake, RVS, Jedi Outcast/Academy. Also what else is not metion is what type of video card like either a 128mb or a 256mb. For ati settings in your bios your AGP Aperture Size shuld be set at 128 (or at 64 if you are having texture issues)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast