Thread: Windows 2003 and Linux (RH9) | Forums

XyZspineZyX
    I just wanted to share something with you guys..

I was running the RS SA on my RedHat9 server using WINE.. on my ADSL connection and last night I had 6 people in there running my 4000 max rate all players under 100.

Today for kicks, I decided to boot up Windows 2003, so I blanked the drive and reinstalled the equivalents with exact same INI's etc. The server was lagging under 2 people, it would just lock up and W2K3 was reporting about 23% usage.

In RH9, I was hitting about 18% peak, to eventually settle to 5% on normal usage.

Needless to say, I'm booting up RH9 again..

Just wanted to share my experience.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

XyZspineZyX
    I just wanted to share something with you guys..

I was running the RS SA on my RedHat9 server using WINE.. on my ADSL connection and last night I had 6 people in there running my 4000 max rate all players under 100.

Today for kicks, I decided to boot up Windows 2003, so I blanked the drive and reinstalled the equivalents with exact same INI's etc. The server was lagging under 2 people, it would just lock up and W2K3 was reporting about 23% usage.

In RH9, I was hitting about 18% peak, to eventually settle to 5% on normal usage.

Needless to say, I'm booting up RH9 again..

Just wanted to share my experience.

XyZspineZyX
    Just proves that Linux, has and always will, manage its resource better than any windows box. Seems like it even runs native win32 apps better as well.

I just hope UBI realizes that Linux Servers are the only true way to fly, and release something for those of us that are waiting patiently.

I would be more than happy to be a testing pig, I dont understand how hard it is to release a Linux server for a game engine that already has a Linux port. UBI didnt modify the engine that much because almost all of the UT2k3 stuff is the same.

XyZspineZyX
    Demon, I wasn't just going to outright say Linux is better..but you freakin' hammered the point hahaha

I was laughing all morning when Linux ran win32 apps more efficiently hehe

XyZspineZyX
    amen to you that have gone before me. If I could run everything under linux i use windows for i don't think i would ever use windows again. LINUX rules and windows drules.

XyZspineZyX
    A properly configured Windows server will run any game better then Linux. Problem is very few people know how to properly set a Windows server up. So they think Linux runs better. Out of the box with no tweaking, yes Linux will run better.

XyZspineZyX
    Well short of getting into an OS war, which is what I dont plan to do, just for the record I am a certified MCSA, MCSE and MCT for both win2k and win2k3 so I think I should know how to properly configure a windows box considering I teach it.

I have also done my own testing and hands down Linux runs the game better using less resources by almost 20% on the exact same machines.

Also, I have also done this with Ghost Recon and guess what it runs more stable on Linux than on windows. In fact every public game server we run right now, is running off of linux and only one out of the 4 is actually a true linux based server. All of the others are native win32 apps. (1 - Ghost Recon, 2 - RVS and 1 bf1942)

I do agree with you on one point, a windows box, that is not properly configured, will run like crap but that defenitely is not the case here.

XyZspineZyX
    Demon,

I do agree with you all the way that linux can handle resource much much better than whatever WINDOWS version is out there. Simply people keep on saying Windows is much better IF configured properly is because they just have no clue how *nix works. Probably never touched it before. Anyway, disregard all those windows comments or any arguments, UBI, please release the Linux Server as many people are waiting here.

Hyooga

XyZspineZyX
    hyooga168 wrote:
    - Demon,
    -
    - I do agree with you all the way that linux can
    - handle resource much much better than whatever
    - WINDOWS version is out there. Simply people keep on
    - saying Windows is much better IF configured properly
    - is because they just have no clue how *nix works.
    - Probably never touched it before. Anyway, disregard
    - all those windows comments or any arguments, UBI,
    - please release the Linux Server as many people are
    - waiting here.
    -
    - Hyooga
    -
    -
    I run both Linux and Windows. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Its a war that will never end. I see some games run better on Windows and some run better on Linux. It really is best to have both OS's in my opinion. I like whichever OS runs my game the best. lol

XyZspineZyX
    I've been doing NT for awhile now, and I was so gung-ho to try the SA on Win2k3..very disappointing.

In regards to knowing how to setup .. I set them both up identically, and then looked at the CPU Usage, and checked lag..

I personally prefer, Linux. I have less experience with Linux , and more with Windows.

I tried SA on Slack, that did the same thing..