Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing custom textures | Forums

XyZspineZyX
    I'm pretty sure I read something on how to do this, somewhere, but I can't find it. I have about 1000 jps I just converted into 24 bit uncompressed tga's. I'd like to create a .utx file with just my textures. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

XyZspineZyX
    I'm pretty sure I read something on how to do this, somewhere, but I can't find it. I have about 1000 jps I just converted into 24 bit uncompressed tga's. I'd like to create a .utx file with just my textures. Can anyone help? Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
    DONT!!!!! joking, don't import tga... of course they'll work but your gonna take way too much space! save them in dds
    [plugin: http://developer.nvidia.com/view.asp...ression_plugin ]

dxt1 if you don't have an alpha
    dxt3 if you jave an alpha

and of course, you have to make sure those textures dimensions are correct (64, 128, 256, 512, etc...)

one last thing; you can make a badass texture package for work, but don't "publish" a map with packages full of unused textures/staticmeshes...

[ArGh][devteam]

XyZspineZyX
    Are yoou saying that if I use custom textures in my maps that others won't be able to use them (unless they have the .utx file that I create?)

If that's the case, I probably won't use them at all. And I don't need this question answered, but here is my problem.

I open RvS editor, Show Texture Browser, File>Import

Then I select, say, all of my tile textures. For Package I enter "MyTextures", for Group I enter "Tiles" then let the filename stay as is, compression dxt1. When I click OK All, it runs like it is importing them, I get no error message, and I get no imported textures. But, when I close the program it says I have changed MyTextures and I should save it. Help?

And, while I have your attention, is there a way to batch convert in photoshop? I use Image Robot, but I doubt there is a plugin for .dds for that.

Thanks for the help!

XyZspineZyX
    - Are yoou saying that if I use custom textures in my
    - maps that others won't be able to use them (unless
    - they have the .utx file that I create?)

>>>> exactly what i'm saying... but dds files are quite smaller than tga's... actually a LOT smaller (near same quality)

- I open RvS editor, Show Texture Browser, File>Import
    -
    - Then I select, say, all of my tile textures. For
    - Package I enter "MyTextures", for Group I enter
    - "Tiles" then let the filename stay as is,
    - compression dxt1. When I click OK All, it runs like
    - it is importing them, I get no error message, and I
    - get no imported textures. But, when I close the
    - program it says I have changed MyTextures and I
    - should save it. Help?

>>>>> the thing is after importing you have to save your package... Use the File/Save on the textures browser not the one you use for your map...

- And, while I have your attention, is there a way to
    - batch convert in photoshop? I use Image Robot, but I
    - doubt there is a plugin for .dds for that.

>>>>> Nvidia's plugins comes (i think) with a way to batch convert... look, there must be a readme somwhere in the zip file... I was making textures as the same time the map was made, so i never i the need for a batch...

and no problems for the help!

[ArGh][devteam]

XyZspineZyX
    ArGh you are a texture artist right?

How do you make textures? Do you take pictures and work from that or do you just start out of the blue? I have always wondered how textures are made. It seems very difficult to me, I wouldn't know how to do it!

XyZspineZyX
    some picture are use but it's mostly "out-of-the-blue" [img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif[/img]

to be honest, it'll be quite long to explain the whole process, maybe (maybe!) if i have the time, i'll writte a tutorial. but i've been doing this (full time) for about 4-5 years now, and it's hard to resume all the tricks involved (at least in the making of those you see in RvS)

mostly Photoshop, but a bit of max too.

[ArGh][devteam]

XyZspineZyX
    [ArGh] owns.

XyZspineZyX
    :O

[ArGh][devteam]

XyZspineZyX
    ArGh you should make a tutorial on creating textures :P

I dont know, walk us through an easy creatable stone wall texture, seamless on all sides... How you make such a thing, how you start off and such

Of course only if you have time

plus a few tricks in a document

and

and

and

haha j/k

Well if you have time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast