Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Good & Evil 2 Development Theories | Forums

Beyond Good & Evil 2 Development Theories

Despite the hints of retailers listing Beyond Good & Evil 2 (http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/06/beyo...s-at-next-gen/), I’m still really worried about whether we will ever get to see it.
    From the links below we can see a transition in the name for Michael Ancel’s next project

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ood-and-evil-2 (He calls his next project Beyond Good & Evil 2)

http://www.edge-online.com/news/beyo...-michel-ancel/ (He keeps the title for his next game secret)

This literally breaks my heart to see the name change. But it kills me even more when I listen to the Beyond Good & Evil soundtrack, whilst typing this. Also have a look at this: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/1...-says-ubisoft/. So I’ve come up with two theories on the current development of Beyond Good & Evil.

The first theory is mainly a marketing theory. Despite Ancel not confirming Beyond Good & Evil 2, it could still be in the makes. As we have seen with previous games that have been in development for a long time, they often don’t turn out that great. An example being Duke Nukem: Forever. Thus one might come to the conclusion that all Ancel is doing is trying to deflate the hype around Beyond Good & Evil 2. Therefore when it comes out, gamers won’t be upset after being hyped for so many years.

The second and more likely theory, is that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still in development and that at this stage Ubisoft are questioning whether they should completely change the story and setting, and making it a completely new IP. This was seen with Sleeping Dogs, as initially it was going to be part of the True Crime series, but then was altered, and why Ubisoft doing this? Well as stated before the hype to this game is quite big, so they may feel that expectations will be too high for Beyond Good & Evil 2 to reach. They may also be considering the marketing aspect. Would Beyond Good & Evil 2 sell better if it was a new IP.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Time has killed this game, I just don't think i'm gonna enjoy it! Everything will stay the same, but I think the name will change. Even though I don't want it to, it would be a good strategic move.
    Currently waiting on:

Beyond Good & Evil 2(?), Portal 3(?), Deus Ex: Universe, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Mirror's Edge, Watch_Dogs, Rainbow 6: Patriots, Cyberpunk 2077.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulid_Snake View Post
    Time has killed this game, I just don't think i'm gonna enjoy it! Everything will stay the same, but I think the name will change. Even though I don't want it to, it would be a good strategic move.
    I can see where youre getting at, but I still have high hopes for the game. And from looking at the youtube comments on the Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer, I think there is a lot of people still wanting this game.

I hope it's just a title change, although I would like to see the BGE be Beyond Good & Evil 2, I'm really not fussed. Just as long as we get the game.

I'm also sure this forum will be live and kicking once the next trailer is revealed.

It's funny I just turned 20 but I look at the OP and I sound an over-reacting teenager, I guess sub-consciously BGE brings out a child in me

Quote Originally Posted by Folezicle View Post
    I can see where youre getting at, but I still have high hopes for the game. And from looking at the youtube comments on the Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer, I think there is a lot of people still wanting this game.

I hope it's just a title change, although I would like to see the BGE be Beyond Good & Evil 2, I'm really not fussed. Just as long as we get the game.

I'm also sure this forum will be live and kicking once the next trailer is revealed.

It's funny I just turned 20 but I look at the OP and I sound an over-reacting teenager, I guess sub-consciously BGE brings out a child in me
    From the story point of view, it will be a direct continuation, as Ancel confirmed it, so no need to worry there . The thing is, I feel like I'm going off video games, sadly, it would be take for something spectacular to excite me. There definitely is interest in the game, no doubt. Its been handled poorly, six years, and nothing to show. Reality is, not just me, what if fans don't enjoy it after 10+ years of waiting.
    Currently waiting on:

Beyond Good & Evil 2(?), Portal 3(?), Deus Ex: Universe, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Mirror's Edge, Watch_Dogs, Rainbow 6: Patriots, Cyberpunk 2077.

From the story point of view, it will be a direct continuation, as Ancel confirmed it, so no need to worry there . The thing is, I feel like I'm going off video games, sadly, it would be take for something spectacular to excite me. There definitely is interest in the game, no doubt. Its been handled poorly, six years, and nothing to show. Reality is, not just me, what if fans don't enjoy it after 10+ years of waiting.
    I read somewhere, Ubisoft aim to draw in a newer/younger audience with the sequel. So fans of the old game won't be a priority, when it come to target audience. And from interviews it's clear that Michel Ancel is putting a lot of effort into the game, to the point where it was too ambitious for last-gen consoles. I guess no one can make assumptions on how the game will look, until it's released. And as for the game being like Duke Nukem, I think you can discredit that, as from my understanding that game was a port (I assume it is, since it looked like one.) And Ancel last year stated that he was starting from scratch with the next-gen consoles.

Regardless thanks for suggesting it was only a title change. I actually got really stressed reading that article, where the title of the game he was working on was unknown. Kind of calmed me down, but lets just hope that you're correct.

Edit: Also I hope Ancel's next project (regardless if it's not BGE) is announced soon, possibly at E3 (it's practically the only game I'm looking forward to at Ubisoft's conference.) If it aint BGE, I'm just going to assume it is canned. By the way Deus Ex: Human Revolution was an amazing game, probably in my top 5 games of all time.
    Last edited by Folezicle; 03-30-2014 at 07:12 AM.

I read somewhere, Ubisoft aim to draw in a newer/younger audience with the sequel. So fans of the old game won't be a priority, when it come to target audience. And from interviews it's clear that Michel Ancel is putting a lot of effort into the game, to the point where it was too ambitious for last-gen consoles. I guess no one can make assumptions on how the game will look, until it's released. And as for the game being like Duke Nukem, I think you can discredit that, as from my understanding that game was a port (I assume it is, since it looked like one.) And Ancel last year stated that he was starting from scratch with the next-gen consoles.
    I dunno, judging from the new art style it looks like Beyond Good & Evil 2 is for more mature audiences. From a a Technical standpoint this game will be fine, Ancel always delivers on that aspect, it a question of whether the game will be enjoyed?.

Regardless thanks for suggesting it was only a title change. I actually got really stressed reading that article, where the title of the game he was working on was unknown. Kind of calmed me down, but lets just hope that you're correct.
    Sadly, I still think they are gonna change the title .

Edit: Also I hope Ancel's next project (regardless if it's not BGE) is announced soon, possibly at E3 (it's practically the only game I'm looking forward to at Ubisoft's conference.) If it aint BGE, I'm just going to assume it is canned. By the way Deus Ex: Human Revolution was an amazing game, probably in my top 5 games of all time.

I'm gonna believe it, when I see it, but after consistent disappointments through numerous E3's, my expectation are low for E3 '14. There's no reason why it shouldn't be announced, the new generation has been revealed, so no more excuses. This experience just feels like one long dream.

You took the word that I always use to describe Deus Ex: Human Revolution -"Amazing". Everything about that game is astonishing, it is one of the greatest games ever made. The sequel is already in development, hopefully we'll see something at E3.

What do you think of Assassins Creed 2?
    Currently waiting on:

I dunno, judging from the new art style it looks like Beyond Good & Evil 2 is for more mature audiences. From a a Technical standpoint this game will be fine, Ancel always delivers on that aspect, it a question of whether the game will be enjoyed?.

Sadly, I still think they are gonna change the title .

I'm gonna believe it, when I see it, but after consistent disappointments through numerous E3's, my expectation are low for E3 '14. There's no reason why it shouldn't be announced, the new generation has been revealed, so no more excuses. This experience just feels like one long dream.

You took the word that I always use to describe Deus Ex: Human Revolution -"Amazing". Everything about that game is astonishing, it is one of the greatest games ever made. The sequel is already in development, hopefully we'll see something at E3.

What do you think of Assassins Creed 2?
    Yeah my 3 games I'm looking forward to seeing are Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars and hopefully Beyond Good and Evil 2. As for Assassins Creed, I really hated 3, so I haven't played any of the recent games. But I really liked Assassin's Creed 2, I think it's the best in the series. Overall I would place it around 5 or 6 in my top 10 games. I like it much better than 3, because it gave you more freedom when jumping roofs (it was too easy to alert the soldiers in AC 3.) But also I loved the renaissance setting. I hope Ancel copies the villa idea from AC 2 in Beyond Good & Evil 2. Maybe you could renovate a village by doing multiple side-quests.

I don't know if you're a nintendo fan but have you come across WindWaker, that is probably my favorite game of all time. Hope to play the HD version when the Wii U gets ridiculously cheap.

Another great game is Hotline Miami.
    Last edited by Folezicle; 04-01-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Yeah my 3 games I'm looking forward to seeing are Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars and hopefully Beyond Good and Evil 2. As for Assassins Creed, I really hated 3, so I haven't played any of the recent games. But I really liked Assassin's Creed 2, I think it's the best in the series. Overall I would place it around 5 or 6 in my top 10 games. I like it much better than 3, because it gave you more freedom when jumping roofs (it was too easy to alert the soldiers in AC 3.) But also I loved the renaissance setting. I hope Ancel copies the villa idea from AC 2 in Beyond Good & Evil 2. Maybe you could renovate a village by doing multiple side-quests.

I don't know if you're a nintendo fan but have you come across WindWaker, that is probably my favorite game of all time. Hope to play the HD version when the Wii U gets ridiculously cheap.

Another great game is Hotline Miami.
    You are exactly like me, AC2 in in my top 10, I doubt they'll make a better game, I also disliked AC3. I also admired the Renaissance setting, did you know Deus Ex: Human Revolution is Cyber-Renaissance? The sequel will also be CR.

I definitely think, the Lighthouse or something similar will feature in Beyond Good & Evil 2, probably the later. Ancel mentioned the original BG&E being a massive Open World, I think it had the ability travel to other areas, like the North Pole, but he had to cut it short because of the PS2's limitations. In fairness, BG&E did have open world elements.

I really think you should watch this video, it might cheer you up :

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...-to-watch-this!

I love Nintendo, but, sadly, I still need to buy one of their recent consoles, I also wanted to try the Zelda series for ages, I heard it has similarities to Beyond Good & Evil. I might invest in the WII in the future.
    Currently waiting on:

You are exactly like me, AC2 in in my top 10, I doubt they'll make a better game, I also disliked AC3. I also admired the Renaissance setting, did you know Deus Ex: Human Revolution is Cyber-Renaissance? The sequel will also be CR.

I definitely think, the Lighthouse or something similar will feature in Beyond Good & Evil 2, probably the later. Ancel mentioned the original BG&E being a massive Open World, I think it had the ability travel to other areas, like the North Pole, but he had to cut it short because of the PS2's limitations. In fairness, BG&E did have open world elements.

I really think you should watch this video, it might cheer you up :

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...-to-watch-this!

I love Nintendo, but, sadly, I still need to buy one of their recent consoles, I also wanted to try the Zelda series for ages, I heard it has similarities to Beyond Good & Evil. I might invest in the WII in the future.
    Haha, thanks for the link but I posted that on Beyond Good & Evil Revolution (under TempahRelapse), couple of days ago. It looks promising, but I couldn't make out the adjective he used to describe his next game. Sounded like Cellulose (which makes no sense.) The only two things, I could come up with in translating Ancel's use of the adjective is; a cellphone game or a game that hasn't sold well (may have thought you could get away with sell less game.)

Didn't know Deus Ex was meant to be the cyber renaissance, I just really liked the themes it explored (the whole idea of technology destroying human nature and how humans are becoming reliant on it.) Have you played Deus Ex:The Fall? If so is it any good? I played it for a bit on the iPhone but I found it difficult to see what is going on, I hope to buy it on the PC soon.

WindWaker has a lot of similarities to Beyond Good & Evil. Both had similar gameplay, photography and sea exploration (on the whole WindWaker was larger in scope, in these areas.) You can definitely see that Beyond Good & Evil was influenced by Zelda, but I don't think it copied WindWaker, I think it was just coincidence.

As for playing Zelda (if you don't own a Nintendo 64), I won't say how (in fear of being banned), but lets just say there are ways of playing old Nintendo 64 Zelda games on PC (they're a good place start.) You might want to try Ocarina of Time first, as that's the one that was critically appraised and considered IGN's best game of all time. Despite me beating Ocarina of Time twice, and only playing Majora's Mask twice (not completing it.) I prefer Majora's Mask, it had more character to it, and plenty of side quests. Majora's Mask also took risks, with the time mechanic.

As for Hotline Miami, the developer released it for free on The Pirate Bay. It has great gameplay (really unique), soundtrack and story. Do you have any recommendations when it comes to games?
    Last edited by Folezicle; 04-02-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Haha, thanks for the link but I posted that on Beyond Good & Evil Revolution (under TempahRelapse), couple of days ago. It looks promising, but I couldn't make out the adjective he used to describe his next game. Sounded like Cellulose (which makes no sense.) The only two things, I could come up with in translating Ancel's use of the adjective is; a cellphone game or a game that hasn't sold well (may have thought you could get away with sell less game.)

Lol, when you hear it, it does sound like, "Cellulose". I think he's actually saying, "Serious", Ancel wants to get back to making serious games, after Rayman Oriigins, and Legends.

Didn't know Deus Ex was meant to be the cyber renaissance, I just really liked the themes it explored (the whole idea of technology destroying human nature and how humans are becoming reliant on it.) Have you played Deus Ex:The Fall? If so is it any good? I played it for a bit on the iPhone but I found it difficult to see what is going on, I hope to buy it on the PC soon.

I was gonna get it for PC, but its got really bad reviews, I think the jist of it is being a bad port. Though. the soundtrack will be amazing, as Michael McCann returned for it.

WindWaker has a lot of similarities to Beyond Good & Evil. Both had similar gameplay, photography and sea exploration (on the whole WindWaker was larger in scope, in these areas.) You can definitely see that Beyond Good & Evil was influenced by Zelda, but I don't think it copied WindWaker, I think it was just coincidence.

So are the Zelda games futuristic? I thought they took place back in time?

As for playing Zelda (if you don't own a Nintendo 64), I won't say how (in fear of being banned), but lets just say there are ways of playing old Nintendo 64 Zelda games on PC (they're a good place start.) You might want to try Ocarina of Time first, as that's the one that was critically appraised and considered IGN's best game of all time. Despite me beating Ocarina of Time twice, and only playing Majora's Mask twice (not completing it.) I prefer Majora's Mask, it had more character to it, and plenty of side quests. Majora's Mask also took risks, with the time mechanic.

I get ya . The method in question has caused me problems before, I think its worth getting a Wii U for it, plus I need to show some support to Nintendo.

As for Hotline Miami, the developer released it for free on The Pirate Bay. It has great gameplay (really unique), soundtrack and story. Do you have any recommendations when it comes to games?

I'll give Hotline Miami a try! You seem to like a lot of qualities in games that I like. The following games I would recommend on characters, gameplay and soundtrack:

- GTAIV, has a large music catologue, through its radio stations, you are bound to find music that you enjoy. The gameplay is rich, with fluid Mechanics.

- Mirror's Edge, amazing visceral soundtrack. It has very unique gameplay, you're a freerunner called Faith, you are always on the run, which makes it exhilarating as you try and evade enemies. It was another unappreciated game, lucky a prequel was announced last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6PXba8X6N8

- Max Payne 3, is a stylish, and cinematic third person shooter. Very fluid Mechanics, and the option to use bullet time. The voice acting and script are immaculate for this game. Includes a very powerful soundtrack.

- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, stealth game with fluid mechanics, with plenty to play around with in terms of gameplay, cutscenes are ridiculously long(I mean 40 minutes a shot), and the story is just crazy, but the cutscenes are movie quality and well directed. Amazing soundtrack too.

- Portal 2, amazing puzzle/platformer and not like your average game. Very unique in terms of what you can do.
    Last edited by Soulid_Snake; 04-03-2014 at 02:41 AM.
    Currently waiting on:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast