PDA

View Full Version : A Ranking Fix that works for everyone.

Pandora_NOW
04-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Just make quitting = a win for the team that didn't quit.

prehaps have quitting in the first 30 secs or so result in a draw.

Right now, quitting results in a "loss" (losing points) for the guy that quit while the team that would have won gets nothing. This is keeping a lot of people pretty low on the standings, because people with nothing to lose like quitting because they know they denied the other guy a win. It's the suicide bomber mentality, "I might lose, but I'm taking you with me!"

I won 4 games today but I have zero points to show for it because I got a quitter in every game.

I understand that sometimes people just have to quit and leave, but I think that their team deserves to lose if you inconvienence (sp?) the other team by quitting 9:45 into a match.

Sorry for posting another ranking thread, but it seemed a good idea that wouldnt be too tough to put in.

Xbox Live Gamertag- Obsidian Dawn

Pandora_NOW
04-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Just make quitting = a win for the team that didn't quit.

prehaps have quitting in the first 30 secs or so result in a draw.

Right now, quitting results in a "loss" (losing points) for the guy that quit while the team that would have won gets nothing. This is keeping a lot of people pretty low on the standings, because people with nothing to lose like quitting because they know they denied the other guy a win. It's the suicide bomber mentality, "I might lose, but I'm taking you with me!"

I won 4 games today but I have zero points to show for it because I got a quitter in every game.

I understand that sometimes people just have to quit and leave, but I think that their team deserves to lose if you inconvienence (sp?) the other team by quitting 9:45 into a match.

Sorry for posting another ranking thread, but it seemed a good idea that wouldnt be too tough to put in.

Mgineer
04-05-2004, 10:11 PM
For legit players, this would be a great feature to implement in the stat system, but the problem is that it'll introduce a new exploit for the same losers who leave games now: Stat padding.

Anyone with a friend or 2 xboxes can set up 2-month trial accounts, create games with a main account, and have the "dummy" account leave mid-game, to give the main team wins and points. While some people wouldn't care, the way I see it, if you're gonna have a stat system, at least let it actually *mean* something. Stat padders make stat systems totally inaccurate and pointless, as you can never tell who's legit and who's a cheater. Just look at R63 for a prime example. So in this case, I'd opt for the lesser of two evils, not giving free wins when someone leaves.

An alternative is to have hefty penalties to those who quit, much higher than the current penalty. Right now, I think it's about -7 points, which is typically less than you'd lose for actually losing a game, which is why a lot of people are still quitting games. I'd be all for a penalty of -20 or -25. With such a harsh penalty, I guarantee nobody would quit a game.

The downside to this would be those who legitimately have a disconnect. They'd be affected as well, but disconnects are *much* more rare than quitters, and I think it's a very small sacrifice to make, to stop the lamers from quitting.

It'd be nice if the system could actually detect if someone quit, or if someone legitimately disconnected, but I'm not sure if that's something that could be easily patched.

GT: Mgineer

chujiwu
04-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Ahhh, another advantage PC has over Xbox...no ***** ranking system. If they wanted a ranking system that meant something, they would track something like ND133 caps/neuts, or how many times you as a merc killed a spy, or vice versa. Possibly create some system that tracked the number of times a spy evades a pursuing merc. Something relative to the game BEYOND just wins and losses.

Pandora_NOW
04-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Stat padding can happen now... just set it to ranking with 1 life per team and kill the other guy.

BAM almost as fast as quitting.

Don't forget that I mentioned that the first 30 seconds or so could count as a draw, just like now. this way if a person quit too fast it wouldn't count, AND their teammate wouldn't be penalized for quitting out of a 2v1 that they didn't want to be in.

My method at least makes legit players recieve what they earn. That's more important than stopping dishonest people from playing now.

It's almost like REVERSE stat-padding. the dishonest people are de-padding people's stats right now.