PDA

View Full Version : Good laptop video card store?

leakypipe86
07-21-2004, 08:33 PM
It looks like Circuit City and Best Buy don't have laptop video cards but rather desktop ones... Are there any stores besides small laptop stores that might carry laptop video cards? Or maybe I just wasn't loking hard enough... -__-;;

leakypipe86
07-21-2004, 08:33 PM
It looks like Circuit City and Best Buy don't have laptop video cards but rather desktop ones... Are there any stores besides small laptop stores that might carry laptop video cards? Or maybe I just wasn't loking hard enough... -__-;;

leakypipe86
07-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Hmm... I just learned that most laptops cannot be upgraded in the video memory department... How do I know if my laptop is upgradable or not? =x

Gunny Highway
07-21-2004, 09:00 PM
You got a Inspiron 5100 right?

In my Dell Inspiron 8100 I had a GeforceGo MX420 32MB I think it was, the I saw a new(at hat time)ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 and I called Dell and I already had the Dell's part number for the card(found part number on DellTalk Inspiron Forum) to make it easier for the Dell person at the other end of the line to find it. I ordered it and installed it in my Dell Laptop, it was real easy. My 8100 is easy to upgrade and replace parts in not sure about 5100.

Try and call Dell or ask in DellTalk forum what video cards are available for your Inspiron. If there's still warrenty they might want to install the card for warrenty purposes etc, mine had already expired so could just order it and install it didn't tell them it was for a 8100 because my card was made for 8200 and not really compatible with my 8100. I noticed the fact that other ppl had been able to install it and get it to boot and there has been no problems since.

You might want to find out if the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 can fit in your 5100 or if it even possible for the BIOS to recognize it. These question the Dell person probably wont answer , or at least that is my experince at the time, but read the DellTalk Forum on Inspiron (http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=insp_video)

It often pays to get a more expensive Dell laptop instead of cheaper and inferior laptop. If you want the latest and fastest I recommend Dell to anyone. Also their prices have dropped alot, my laptop is about 2/3 of the price if I were to buy similar config, i.e. the fastest CPU etc.

<center>
<font size="2" font color=red>
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield Forum Moderator</font>
http://home1.stofanet.dk/gunny/gunny.jpg </a>
<font size="1" font color=white>Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me.
Isaiah 6:8 </font>
</center>

MT_Bever
07-21-2004, 10:49 PM
the computer i play raven shield on is a dell inspiron 8500. i have a 64 mb nvidia geforce4 GO. i talked to a few people dell employees on a dell forum and they said you could only upgrade to certain cards. and to do so you had to "mod" them and do some custom things so my computer wouldn't overheat. it overheats anyway so i have to sit the computer up on water bottle caps and have a fan blowing underneath it or RvS is unplayable.

Jackal4ever
07-22-2004, 02:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MT_Bever:
the computer i play raven shield on is a dell inspiron 8500. i have a 64 mb nvidia geforce4 GO. i talked to a few people dell employees on a dell forum and they said you could only upgrade to certain cards. and to do so you had to "mod" them and do some custom things so my computer wouldn't overheat. it overheats anyway so i have to sit the computer up on water bottle caps and have a fan blowing underneath it or RvS is unplayable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe, i've got same problem. I upgrade from my MX440 64mb to 9800PRO, and after 1hr its like 40 degrees celcius in my room.

This is a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.