PDA

View Full Version : Why does online suck so much?

nospam314
05-02-2004, 04:59 PM
After playing the MP demo for 4-5 days (1-2 hours per), I have to wonder about the balance in the game. Not between Mercs and Spies, but between new players and experience players.

Learning the game is ridiculous. I've played SC1 and 2 SP (borrowed) but the multiplayer just sucks. After spending 1-2 minutes as a spy infiltrating the hospital, I get killed as soon as I try to do anything. I can sit above on 2nd floor and watch mercs run around, but once they're gone and I attempt anything, BLAMMO!

I can never tell if I'm making noise, or if I've set any alarms. As a merc, I can't tell *where* a spy trap gets set off (or even what they do). Whenever I neutralize something as a spy, I get killed before finishing, but whenever I'm a merc, a spy can finish neutralizing before I can get to him.

The limit of 4 players is pretty weak too. Glad I didn't spend $50 just to feel ripped off.

nospam314
05-02-2004, 04:59 PM
After playing the MP demo for 4-5 days (1-2 hours per), I have to wonder about the balance in the game. Not between Mercs and Spies, but between new players and experience players.

Learning the game is ridiculous. I've played SC1 and 2 SP (borrowed) but the multiplayer just sucks. After spending 1-2 minutes as a spy infiltrating the hospital, I get killed as soon as I try to do anything. I can sit above on 2nd floor and watch mercs run around, but once they're gone and I attempt anything, BLAMMO!

I can never tell if I'm making noise, or if I've set any alarms. As a merc, I can't tell *where* a spy trap gets set off (or even what they do). Whenever I neutralize something as a spy, I get killed before finishing, but whenever I'm a merc, a spy can finish neutralizing before I can get to him.

The limit of 4 players is pretty weak too. Glad I didn't spend $50 just to feel ripped off.

wowwhatacow
05-03-2004, 04:54 AM
You need to avoid the mercs, beeing crouched and dont use your goggles if the merc's face is blue, don't move when its red. And stay out of sight.

And if there will be more then 4 player it will be more a deathmatch, It has to be a stealthy game!

nospam314
05-03-2004, 12:41 PM
re: red/blue goggles. Nice unocumented feature.

Does using the zoom feature show up on the Electromag focus of the mercs? Is it documented anywhere?

I know that you have to crouch everywhere and be quiet. My point is that once I move to neutralize something, I get killed within seconds.

I think I've figured out that you have to have teamwork with a good team partner or you're dead. Which makes it no-go for me since I don't have someone regular to be on my team.

More than 4 players wouldn't necessarily turn into a deathmatch. It already turns into a deathmatch if the spy team is working together.

wowwhatacow
05-03-2004, 02:37 PM
If you're partner is somewhere elso and you need to neutralize you will need to use timing. When you think the merc is far away you have to go for it!
But teamwork is the best option yeah.

But if there are 6 players It wouldn't be a stealthy game. Spies will try to break neck with eachother at 1 merc. And it will de more difficult to plan everything. I think 4 players is just fine now.

But I suck as a spy. I'm mch better when I'm merc. And I think I'm not the only one.

Subcidal
05-04-2004, 09:24 PM
all gmaes suck when you first start you gota learn them then the fun begins just like any other game.

http://www.elitesoldiers.net/hosted/sig1.jpg
Ingame name - Subcidal
Taunt - "Sphank Teh Hippo"(c)

nospam314
05-07-2004, 12:31 AM
No, not all games suck when you start. Halo MP for instance is flawless. And after playing plenty of single-player, it shouldn't take long to get up to speed in MP.

Tonight I uninstalled the MP demo. Bye-bye Splinter Cell MP. Off to check out Far Cry and Tribes MP (freely released this week).