PDA

View Full Version : Long island

Rare_Zenith
08-24-2014, 02:00 AM
Games Long Island: http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/news/2013-07-20/crew-map.jpg
Real Life Long Island: http://geology.com/state-map/maps/new-york-state-map.gif]

Dear Ubisoft,

I am greatly concerned with the look of Long Island. I personally am upset due to the design of it. I believe that Long Island should actually look like Long Island. I live on Long Island I think that it looks nothing like where I live. This is just a concern of mine that I believe should be fixed and I think that all Long Islanders would thank you for making it look like our home. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
A Concerned Long Islander

BA1969
08-24-2014, 01:15 PM
I see your point, but I don't think the point of the game is to re-create the US exactly as it is. If you look at New York, the first thing you'll notice that it is way too small. I do believe the created some of the landmarks looking more or less as the real thing and the rest is not supposed to be as the real thing, but give you an impression of it. I've looked at Chicago for example. Yes, it gives me the idea I'm driving through Chicago, but it's not exactly a copy of it. That would be way too much work. As long as we get the idea that we're in the place on the map, it's good enough. None of the places are like their real counterparts, but they do give you the idea you're there.

Gukjja
08-24-2014, 03:51 PM
I see your point, but I don't think the point of the game is to re-create the US exactly as it is. If you look at New York, the first thing you'll notice that it is way too small. I do believe the created some of the landmarks looking more or less as the real thing and the rest is not supposed to be as the real thing, but give you an impression of it. I've looked at Chicago for example. Yes, it gives me the idea I'm driving through Chicago, but it's not exactly a copy of it. That would be way too much work. As long as we get the idea that we're in the place on the map, it's good enough. None of the places are like their real counterparts, but they do give you the idea you're there.

I totally agree, the most important thing is that is "feels" correct, that it's a good atmoshere. Not that it looks the same on the map.

Antitenant-II
08-25-2014, 01:30 AM
As a fellow Long Islander, I know exactly what you mean.

I've been trying to look at all the videos I can--especially the ones in the New York/Long Island area. I think overall they did a good job capturing the NYC area, I was definitely able to identify the roads and areas even in a condensed, re-imagined version of the city. Long Island, however, doesn't seem to add up.

As long as we get the idea that we're in the place on the map, it's good enough. None of the places are like their real counterparts, but they do give you the idea you're there.

I definitely agree with you, we're not going to get a 1:1 scale with everything perfectly in place, but we should get the feeling we're actually there. I think the idea that Rare_Zenith was trying to get at (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is that aside from being at the correct location on the map, the game's version of Long Island doesn't give the feel of real Long Island--not by the roads, not by the landmarks, it's just kind of there.

But I think this comes down to creative license. It's how they chose to re-imagine the area and even though I may not agree with the representation, I'm at least glad to have it around. It could be worse, there are plenty of places that are just not represented at all.

FLATLIN3RAC3R
08-25-2014, 05:18 AM
Nice thread here on the maps...Ha..I was shocked that they left my original home town and 5th largest city in the US off the map completely...Where's PHILADELPHIA??? HaHA

MattDet
08-25-2014, 04:31 PM
A bit on-topic: I was surprised that they left out the Downriver Detroit communities (where I live)-all that's there is the Steel Forge Plant that could pass off as Great Lakes Steel or BASF Wyandotte and a bridge along the Monroe-8 Mile highway that looks suspiciously similar to the two bridges connecting mainland Michigan to Grosse Ile.