PDA

View Full Version : Unable to move forward at Whark Gallows (Riven)

mystmystery
02-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Unable to move forward back into tunnel at Whark Gallows (Riven)

Riven DVD (10th Anniv addition)

Can anyone advise me on a fix for this problem?

I arrived at Whark Gallows in the submarine; worked my way into the cell, tunnel and turned on the light at the end. When I turn around I am unable to continue forward. (and nothing happens when I try to turn on the next light)

If I turn around again I find myself back facing the iron hatch.

I email support, they said numerous people have this problem and I can only wait for a patch. However I haven't been able to find any posts related to this specific problem.

I'd appreciate any help.
Thank you

mystmystery
02-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Unable to move forward back into tunnel at Whark Gallows (Riven)

Riven DVD (10th Anniv addition)

Can anyone advise me on a fix for this problem?

I arrived at Whark Gallows in the submarine; worked my way into the cell, tunnel and turned on the light at the end. When I turn around I am unable to continue forward. (and nothing happens when I try to turn on the next light)

If I turn around again I find myself back facing the iron hatch.

I email support, they said numerous people have this problem and I can only wait for a patch. However I haven't been able to find any posts related to this specific problem.

I'd appreciate any help.
Thank you

wstrohm
02-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Cannot help, sorry; but FWIW this problem does NOT exist in my CD version.

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

lotr-sam0711
02-26-2004, 09:11 AM
This part of the game is solved way later. Try to work on crater island. (the one with the big boiler.)

skylark2025
02-26-2004, 03:10 PM
It probably isn't the same thing but I had a really hard time getting the light turned on also. I found that I had to touch a very specific part of the bulb...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To the world you may be but one person but to one you may be the world.http://nzwwa.com/mirror/clipart/graphics/animated/icons/aniheart.gif

christine123b
04-05-2006, 07:03 PM
also unable to move forward in tunnel behind prison cell reached by gallows in Jungle land (Riven). I have turned on 2 or 3 lights, but after reaching water and then turning around, going forward only gets me facing that iron hatch again. thanks for any help. If must wait for patch, any chance that's coming soon?

Vogelaar
04-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Turn on more lights, then turn around and head back towards the sea. You should see a side door then.

I don't think there'll be any patches for Riven now - the game is 9 years old.

Heimdall_G
04-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Actually, there's already a Riven patch. It's rivenupdater102.exe, available here (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=nWsiZl4i&p_tbl=9&p_id=582&p_created=987617506&p_olh=0) from Ubisoft. While it may not solve the above problems, it's worth a try.

christine123b
04-06-2006, 06:42 PM
I appreciate your aid to this neophyte. I applied patch to no avail. I backed up a bit and started all over again by closing gallows base again. In more detail, after this, once I enter the secret exit at back of prison, I click several times to move forward through pitch black. I then see the sea and turn on the light by sea. then I turn and try to move forward to find more lights and I cannot move forward at all. so then I try to turn back and whammo--I am instantly transported to the board walkway at top of gallows with those funny bone shapes. So I can't get into room and am stuckaroo. Hate to give up!! thanks.

BobF
04-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Christine - is your game on a DVD? Just asking as I never had that problem with the CD's but I now have a DVD that I haven't tried yet.

christine123b
04-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Bob F--Recall that I'm stuck in that tunnel behind the prison above gallows in jungle. and yes, it's dvd--MYST 10th Anniversary DVD Edition. and while the myst dvd worked right away, the Riven dvd did not and I found help in this forum to do the compatability thing. I'm wondering if there's some other step in the game I need to take before I can find that tunnel door rather than a glitch.

BobF
04-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks Christine. Yes I know exactly where you are getting stuck. The hidden door would be on your right as you head toward the ocean. It would be about half way down the halls. I was wondering if you could take a step forward and then cursor all aroud to see if you get a hand or some other cursor clue. If not, take another step, etc. until you find the door handle. Maybe this won't work until you have the lights on.

Not much I can do to help right now. I'm on the road so I don't have the DVD with me. I don't know of anything needed other than the lights on. Have you tried all the compatability setups?

christine123b
04-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Bob F: nothing was working so I uninstalled, installed again, and started game all over again, moving quickly to gallows and tunnel behind prison. This time I could move in the tunnel, so I got lights turned on and got in the room. Boy am I relieved--I really don't like to give up! thanks. Eureka!