PDA

View Full Version : On the startup crash [disrupt_b64.dll]

tomislav0x
05-27-2014, 01:17 PM
For all those who are curious why their game is not working, what happens is that the primary Disrupt engine library, disrupt_b64.dll attempts to reference an invalid piece of memory, which generates an exception. This happens when the software makes a call and expects to receive a valid memory address containing the relevant object, in this case it is related to graphics-related object allocation. Because Ubisoft is in bed with Nvidia and are using their GameWorks library to actually develop the subpar game called Watch Dogs, which is getting pounded everywhere where Ubisoft is not paying for website ads (take a look at Metacritic user scores), the Disrupt Engine is essentially a coarse rehash of other people's existing codebases (Nvidia GameWorks) which naturally will be at odds with anything AMD. The only thing they've probably implemented is the driving mechanics, and you've all seen how awesome that is.

It literally will always fail on almost every Crossfire AMD graphics card (as seen here on the forums already), which includes today's very common graphics cards which cannot disable Crossfire because they contain two interlinked GPUs on the same PCB (for example, HD6990). Due to Nvidia's tampering while targetting their own GPUs (GameWorks), pieces of code that were written primarily and exclusively with Nvidia hardware in mind are definitely the result of the crash, as AMD's implementation fails. As you might expect, I was able to run it on Nvidia single-GPU hardware, although badly because it is a poor port.

Drivers will not fix this, most people think drivers are made for games. It is the other way around, games are made for older drivers and within their confines. Post-release drivers only optimize shaders and other GPU elements relating to the game, after the fact, unless you're in bed with a certain GPU manufacturer, therefore gaining even pre-release optimizations.

I've tested the game on 14.6 beta AMD drivers (yes, I've got 14.6 already.) and it still crashes due to dereferencing an invalid pointer in disrupt_b64.dll. It is worth noting that my machine is an i7 system with 32 GB of DDR3 RAM and two HD6990s running in tandem, on Windows 7 x64 SP1 with the latest software updates. I've completely and physically removed the second HD6990, that doesn't remedy the situation. And the integrated Crossfire on one HD6990 cannot be disabled.

This is incredibly unprofessional from Ubisoft, as they certainly had to test this game on both Nvidia and AMD multiGPU systems. And they noticed the failure, as have thousands of people already. And they released the game anyways.

CainStar
05-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Thank you for this thread. I'm so frustrated right now, and believe me I have some harsh words for Ubi but all it would do is get me banned.

cleverley1986
05-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm in two minds as to what to do here based on the fact that I have a 6990 and I cant justify an upgrade to a single NVIDIA card.

And why should I have to?

Essentially all I want is a response from SOMEONE. Either a dev/ubisoft employee or a mod on behalf of them.

I don't know of ANY other situation where I give a company money for a product that is broken and then as soon as I saw "Hang on, what's going on here?" I get no response.

All this does is give me and other more of an incentive to pirate games to ensure they work first before buying. I guess not many would buy after they pirate either.

Still I don't understand the silent treatment. Even a single tweet to say "Hey guys, we dropped the ball here. Everyone is in the office trying to rectify it. Give us 48 hours or you'll get a refund."

Zyeox
05-27-2014, 11:10 PM
I find it appalling that they would do this thier customers. It's like they are punishing user's who have AMD cards. I got the game from the NVIDIA promotion when I bought my new card. Which I havent received yet as I ordered it Thursday. I figured I check the game out prior to the new card to see what it looks and plays like against the new card. I have an AMD card and it loads the menu fine but as soon as I hit new game on auto detect of graphic settings it loads about 60 to 70 percent, the game will either blu-screen or I get a display driver failed and restarted error and I have to shut it down via task manager. I am hoping when I get a new card it fixes these issues or I am going to be upset. Granted I got this game free but I expect it to at least work.

Loup-Artic
05-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Same problem with my HD6990...
I try Catalyst Beta Drivers but no change...

voidpresence
05-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Actually, I have the problem of the game crashing at (new game) load. The error message doesn't say disrupt_b64.ddl, BUT when I look into the error log, that is indeed the problem...and I have an NVidia card (Geforce 780 Classified), it's not just AMD.

T-Bone040488
05-28-2014, 12:20 AM
i have a hd 6990 as well and i can only get to the 3 colors icons that tell you what they do in game and boom watch_dogs has stopped working.......i was really pumped for this game and looks like they crapped the bed, also on a more hilarious note the pirated version of the game is running fine LMFAO...perhaps ubisoft should take notes

guy73378
05-29-2014, 06:22 AM
I also get the Disrupt_b64.dll crash on game start, I am running 2 470's

I can get the game to run by disabling SLI, which is not a solution at all.

The weird part is the game always runs the first time (from a fresh install) but never the second time. Even deleting the profiles and redownloading parts of the game files (disrupt's dll) do not help

taylorules12
05-30-2014, 12:39 AM
I have a single GTX 680 and I'm also getting this error, so it must not be confined to AMD or SLI. I'm running the latest nvidia drivers, which supposedly were made specifically for watch dogs. Any ideas?

Yamirkr
05-30-2014, 01:19 AM
This fixed my disrupt_b64.dll problem :)
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/882948-Unable-to-play-with-AMD-HD6990s-mega-thread?p=9997284&viewfull=1#post9997284

Amjo31
06-20-2014, 06:06 PM
For all those who are curious why their game is not working, what happens is that the primary Disrupt engine library, disrupt_b64.dll attempts to reference an invalid piece of memory, which generates an exception. This happens when the software makes a call and expects to receive a valid memory address containing the relevant object, in this case it is related to graphics-related object allocation. Because Ubisoft is in bed with Nvidia and are using their GameWorks library to actually develop the subpar game called Watch Dogs, which is getting pounded everywhere where Ubisoft is not paying for website ads (take a look at Metacritic user scores), the Disrupt Engine is essentially a coarse rehash of other people's existing codebases (Nvidia GameWorks) which naturally will be at odds with anything AMD. The only thing they've probably implemented is the driving mechanics, and you've all seen how awesome that is.

It literally will always fail on almost every Crossfire AMD graphics card (as seen here on the forums already), which includes today's very common graphics cards which cannot disable Crossfire because they contain two interlinked GPUs on the same PCB (for example, HD6990). Due to Nvidia's tampering while targetting their own GPUs (GameWorks), pieces of code that were written primarily and exclusively with Nvidia hardware in mind are definitely the result of the crash, as AMD's implementation fails. As you might expect, I was able to run it on Nvidia single-GPU hardware, although badly because it is a poor port.

Drivers will not fix this, most people think drivers are made for games. It is the other way around, games are made for older drivers and within their confines. Post-release drivers only optimize shaders and other GPU elements relating to the game, after the fact, unless you're in bed with a certain GPU manufacturer, therefore gaining even pre-release optimizations.

I've tested the game on 14.6 beta AMD drivers (yes, I've got 14.6 already.) and it still crashes due to dereferencing an invalid pointer in disrupt_b64.dll. It is worth noting that my machine is an i7 system with 32 GB of DDR3 RAM and two HD6990s running in tandem, on Windows 7 x64 SP1 with the latest software updates. I've completely and physically removed the second HD6990, that doesn't remedy the situation. And the integrated Crossfire on one HD6990 cannot be disabled.

This is incredibly unprofessional from Ubisoft, as they certainly had to test this game on both Nvidia and AMD multiGPU systems. And they noticed the failure, as have thousands of people already. And they released the game anyways.

I honestly considered of buying a new computer, as i thought my core i7 Raedeon 7000 HD with 16GB of RAM DDR3 was just not good enough!... i was really wondering whether they tested on a Super computer the size of my home, or test at all for that matter.

2 months, zero response, zero solution, and consumers' cash is pissed on...