PDA

View Full Version : [PC] Watch Dogs crashing during cut-scene (bink2w64.dll)

Legion213
05-27-2014, 10:19 AM
My game crashes at the same spot during the same cut-scene every time. The file indicated in the crash report is "bink2w64.dll"

The spot where it crashes is during the cut-scene where you are forced to go to sleep for the first time. It plays fine for the first 30 seconds or so but when the guy on the motorcycle reaches the back taillight of the truck as he's about to pass it freezes. My cursor pops up and there is a invisible box in the background which when I open the task manager to minimize the game it tells me the game has stopped responding. When I open the task manager, the memory usage shows 2,000,000 K for Watch_Dogs.exe.

I have verified the game files through steam, Uplay doesn't appear to have the option (Yes, I looked in the arrow next to the play button). I have installed the latest video card drivers today. I am running with high textures with geforce 560ti in SLI (I initially had it disabled the first couple time it crashed). I allowed the game to suggest the best graphic settings. I have restarted my computer, I have started a new game. I have no uninstalled and reinstalled as I don't feel like downloading it again unless it is a last resort (I am on a data cap). Other than that, I am out of ideas.

Sennera
05-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Three things come to mind when I read this:

First, do you have the latest nVidia drivers they released today? I'm sure you've read about them already, but they're important because they're designed to run Watch Dogs correctly.

Second, go to steam\steamapps\common\watchdogs\bin and try renaming bink2w64.dll to bink2w64.dllbkup and running a verify again, see if it'll redownload and if it does try running the game again.

Third, as a second to last resort, go into watchdogs\data_win64 and rename both videos.dat and videos.fat the same way as above, then again try to verify and redownload. A warning, the videos file IS 4GB in size, but it's less than the 14GB you'd be downloading for a full reinstall. Honestly this is a long shot, and may not be worth taking a chunk out of your cap to try.

Serl0n
05-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Three things come to mind when I read this:

First, do you have the latest nVidia drivers they released today? I'm sure you've read about them already, but they're important because they're designed to run Watch Dogs correctly.

Second, go to steam\steamapps\common\watchdogs\bin and try renaming bink2w64.dll to bink2w64.dllbkup and running a verify again, see if it'll redownload and if it does try running the game again.

Third, as a second to last resort, go into watchdogs\data_win64 and rename both videos.dat and videos.fat the same way as above, then again try to verify and redownload. A warning, the videos file IS 4GB in size, but it's less than the 14GB you'd be downloading for a full reinstall. Honestly this is a long shot, and may not be worth taking a chunk out of your cap to try.

I have the exact same thing :( crashes during the damn video.
And yes..i have the latest nvidia drivers 337.88

My event log:
Faulting application name: Watch_Dogs.exe, version: 0.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x537507a1
Faulting module name: bink2w64.dll, version: 1.999.2.0, time stamp: 0x51e6540c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000028b60
Faulting process id: 0xfa0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf79dc73925fb8
Faulting application path: F:\Games\Watch_Dogs\bin\Watch_Dogs.exe
Faulting module path: F:\Games\Watch_Dogs\bin\bink2w64.dll
Report Id: ee0d0a5d-e5d2-11e3-83a4-94dbc93a710c

Mr_Shade
05-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Guys, please contact support directly - this is something they maybe able to help you with:

www.support.ubi.com

Serl0n
05-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Ok i solved it...with this file http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?bink2w64
Just replace the file you have in your bin directory. Just make a backup of the original just in case :)
I managed to get past that video but i noticed something weird while the video was playing :) some pink artefacts. I would like to know if there is a way to repair the game from uplay ? i can't find such option...

Legion213
05-28-2014, 09:53 AM
I fixed it as well, I renamed the bink2w64.dll file as suggested and verified the game cache. It found 2 files and not just the one I renamed. So something was different from when I verified the files through steam in the early morning yesterday to the late after noon. Either way it downloaded 3.9 GB and after that it allowed me to pass the cut-scene it would usually stop responding at. I've been playing ever since and am enjoying it so far.

@marian31121984, If you bought the game through Steam, I believe you have to verify with Steam. Navigate to your library and right click on the game. Click on Properties and then select the Local Files tab. There you will find the Verify Integrity of Game Cache button.

If you bought it else where and use Uplay to launch the game. There is an arrow next to the play button that will give you other options. The option isn't there for me (I believe because I bought it through steam) but there should be the option to uninstall and the option to verify the game files.

ninja-usagi
06-06-2014, 02:30 AM
I had the same bink2w64 error when a scene in the graveyard was playing, and thats with the latest Nvidia drivers installed. In Uplay, clicking on the arrow to the right of the PLAY button and then verifiying the game files as suggested above fixed the problem for me. Cheers.