Semper_Ducimus
03-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Ok firstly.

My system is lack luster i know.
ATI Radeon 9000
AMD 2400, 2 GHZ
768 MB, PC2100 ram.

Problem:
The game freezes on the first level after starting the game when you get to the first cut scene with the intercom.

Solution:
For me what solved it was downloading the latest Omega driver version of the latest catalyst drivers. ( 4.3 i think it is? )

http://www.omegacorner.com

Problem:
On the research center mission after clearing out the area, the game freezes when i approach the cave.

Solution:
Disable reflective water. (I recommend going to custom in far cry configure and enabling shore effects) The problem seems centered around Water effects and this varable that is unknown to me as so far as i havent been able to track it down.

Now, i have two instances where i can crash my machine, each time, without fail. It involves two things:

1.) reflective water
2.) "Artificial" light source. This light source in game tends to be the square hologen lamps. What exactly these light sources are doing hardware wise i've no idea.

The game will render either one just fine, but not both at once. Every instance where both are in the same area, the game will crash, or lockup your machine. Disabl

For example on the first level of the research center mission right after the carrier, I can clear out the whole area, but the instant i get near that cave and those lamps light is rendered, my computer locks up.

Problem:
My computer locks up when looking in my binocluars or rifle scope.

Solution:
Once again, i think this is related to reflective water. It might possibly be your special effects settigns in relation to water. I cranked both down at the same time, so i wasn't able to pin point it, and i got tired of rebooting my system. In either event turning off reflective water seemed to solve this.

Problem:
Game lockups up once in awhile, while shooting a weapon

Solution:
This seems to be related to light settings, and special effects. Turn both down to LOW. I havent encountered this again as so far. I think its related to the light source + water issue mentioned above.

Now... anyone want to tell me how to get shadows working? No matter how many times i edit the CFG file, the game refuses to render character or object shadows.

Semper_Ducimus
03-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Ok firstly.

My system is lack luster i know.
ATI Radeon 9000
AMD 2400, 2 GHZ
768 MB, PC2100 ram.

Problem:
The game freezes on the first level after starting the game when you get to the first cut scene with the intercom.

Solution:
For me what solved it was downloading the latest Omega driver version of the latest catalyst drivers. ( 4.3 i think it is? )

http://www.omegacorner.com

Problem:
On the research center mission after clearing out the area, the game freezes when i approach the cave.

Solution:
Disable reflective water. (I recommend going to custom in far cry configure and enabling shore effects) The problem seems centered around Water effects and this varable that is unknown to me as so far as i havent been able to track it down.

Now, i have two instances where i can crash my machine, each time, without fail. It involves two things:

1.) reflective water
2.) "Artificial" light source. This light source in game tends to be the square hologen lamps. What exactly these light sources are doing hardware wise i've no idea.

The game will render either one just fine, but not both at once. Every instance where both are in the same area, the game will crash, or lockup your machine. Disabl

For example on the first level of the research center mission right after the carrier, I can clear out the whole area, but the instant i get near that cave and those lamps light is rendered, my computer locks up.

Problem:
My computer locks up when looking in my binocluars or rifle scope.

Solution:
Once again, i think this is related to reflective water. It might possibly be your special effects settigns in relation to water. I cranked both down at the same time, so i wasn't able to pin point it, and i got tired of rebooting my system. In either event turning off reflective water seemed to solve this.

Problem:
Game lockups up once in awhile, while shooting a weapon

Solution:
This seems to be related to light settings, and special effects. Turn both down to LOW. I havent encountered this again as so far. I think its related to the light source + water issue mentioned above.

Now... anyone want to tell me how to get shadows working? No matter how many times i edit the CFG file, the game refuses to render character or object shadows.

Semper_Ducimus
03-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Bumpage.

While i know not everyone's graphics card is as craptacular as mine, the first post might help someone pulling their hair out.

killroy-x
03-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm going to try some of this today. At this point, I'll try anything to keep the game from crashing.

AMD 1800xp
768DDR
Radeon 9700pro