PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay Concerns in MP Demo

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 09:35 AM
I've noticed that there's almost no point in using any fully-automatic weapons in the NES level. The .44 magnum appears to be way too good of a gun. I was trying to play the game the way you normally would... grab a machine gun, and fire at head level, However, I kept getting killed over and over by a gun that sounded a lot different from mine. I eventually got a glimpse of what they were using and it was the .44. And after some experimentation, this is what I found out:

The .44 magnum's alternate fire shoots 6 bullets almost as fast as you can hit the trigger, and they go exactly where you're pointing. The machine guns fire fast, too, but they just spray in every which way.

So when it comes down to which gun is better to use, it's the .44 because you can put your crosshairs on someone's head with it, fire, and the bullets go where you're pointing. However, with the machine gun, the bullets go pretty much every where except where you're pointing. Sure, you get more bullets with the machine guns, but you only need 1-3 bullets with the .44 if your aim is on.

Is this how you want a game to work? I sure don't. There are 2 main factors that needed to be implemented to make both guns work. The first is, if you're firing a .44 like a western gun slinger, your accuracy should suffer. Secondly, if you fire a machine gun in short bursts, your aim should be better than holding the trigger down for 10 seconds straight. Likewise, the accuracy of a machine gun should always be relative to the amount of time the trigger is held. Your accuracy decreases as time holding the trigger increases. In this demo, firing in short bursts does not give you better accuracy. These are some pretty simple concepts that are already implemented in a number of FPS games and just wish the same were true here.

By the way, I'm not attacking this game. I'm just pointing out some dissapointing findings that I hope won't be in the full version (which I definitely plan on buying).

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 09:35 AM
I've noticed that there's almost no point in using any fully-automatic weapons in the NES level. The .44 magnum appears to be way too good of a gun. I was trying to play the game the way you normally would... grab a machine gun, and fire at head level, However, I kept getting killed over and over by a gun that sounded a lot different from mine. I eventually got a glimpse of what they were using and it was the .44. And after some experimentation, this is what I found out:

The .44 magnum's alternate fire shoots 6 bullets almost as fast as you can hit the trigger, and they go exactly where you're pointing. The machine guns fire fast, too, but they just spray in every which way.

So when it comes down to which gun is better to use, it's the .44 because you can put your crosshairs on someone's head with it, fire, and the bullets go where you're pointing. However, with the machine gun, the bullets go pretty much every where except where you're pointing. Sure, you get more bullets with the machine guns, but you only need 1-3 bullets with the .44 if your aim is on.

Is this how you want a game to work? I sure don't. There are 2 main factors that needed to be implemented to make both guns work. The first is, if you're firing a .44 like a western gun slinger, your accuracy should suffer. Secondly, if you fire a machine gun in short bursts, your aim should be better than holding the trigger down for 10 seconds straight. Likewise, the accuracy of a machine gun should always be relative to the amount of time the trigger is held. Your accuracy decreases as time holding the trigger increases. In this demo, firing in short bursts does not give you better accuracy. These are some pretty simple concepts that are already implemented in a number of FPS games and just wish the same were true here.

By the way, I'm not attacking this game. I'm just pointing out some dissapointing findings that I hope won't be in the full version (which I definitely plan on buying).

XyZspineZyX
10-26-2003, 08:21 AM
I don't know...

I've earned more kills with the M-16A2 than any of the other weapons, firing head-level too.

I guess I'm lucky.

I do understand your complaint, and it is completely valid. I assume the assault rifles and LMG will have the "spray and pray" notion.

<center>http://www.geocities.com/wewantrants/FairKarma2.txt</center>
<center>"Fair Karma. Just Fair."</center>