PDA

View Full Version : Can't even start MP - SC:PT

badd_advice
03-25-2004, 10:35 PM
SP seems to be fine (although it took me forever to finally get it installed, and half the time, when i try to start a SP game, i get this weird partial screen in 800x600, requiring a right click, close, but anyway...) however, when i click the MP option from the launcher (the one with MP, SP, and Credits), i get the splash screen a couple of times, then my monitor goes black and all i have a is a white pointer that disappears in the middle of the screen. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing and i actually have to power down my system to regain control. what's up with that?

badd_advice
03-25-2004, 10:35 PM
SP seems to be fine (although it took me forever to finally get it installed, and half the time, when i try to start a SP game, i get this weird partial screen in 800x600, requiring a right click, close, but anyway...) however, when i click the MP option from the launcher (the one with MP, SP, and Credits), i get the splash screen a couple of times, then my monitor goes black and all i have a is a white pointer that disappears in the middle of the screen. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing and i actually have to power down my system to regain control. what's up with that?

fishnet
03-25-2004, 11:12 PM
post your system specs.

from what i understand a lot of mp crashes are due to problems with punkbuster.

jbace
03-26-2004, 12:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by badd_advice:
SP seems to be fine (although it took me forever to finally get it installed, and half the time, when i try to start a SP game, i get this weird partial screen in 800x600, requiring a right click, close, but anyway...) however, when i click the MP option from the launcher (the one with MP, SP, and Credits), i get the splash screen a couple of times, then my monitor goes black and all i have a is a white pointer that disappears in the middle of the screen. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing and i actually have to power down my system to regain control. what's up with that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the exact same problem, my specs are:

AMD 2500+ Barton
768mb RAM
Win XP
Geforce FX 5200
All drivers updated

I've tried to go into the programs folder and click the multiplayer icon manually but it does the same thing... Such a great game, hope I'm helped. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance,
Jbace

"He who is a spy must remain completely hidden and vigilant."

jbace
03-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Ironically I just found the problem... A rather sad one at that. The problem is with my Zonealarm and I have to disable it to work. Too bad I found this problem after I posted but, no harm done. If you disable it then the mp should work. However the sad thing about it... No protection.

fishnet
03-26-2004, 12:29 AM
instead of just disabling zonealarm completely try to find out what ports are needed to connect to ubisoft for mp and free those up.

if you cant.. then this will even add to the frustrations of gamers if to play online you cant have a firewall running.

Aryeh
03-26-2004, 01:25 AM
I also had problems with the MP portion of SC. There were two fixes I found.

1) Kill every single non-essential background process (IRC clients, MSN, AIM, etc.) Possibly kill firewalls as well, although I use Zone Alarm and had no issue with leaving it up.

2) Do not run any sort of online voice chat program when trying to start the MP portion. This is the fix that took the longest for me to figure out. Apparently SC: PT has an issue with other voice chat program being up when you try and start it.

Those two fixes made my game work almost flawlessly; try them out and see what you think. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jbace
03-26-2004, 01:52 AM
Also I've noticed that you can reload zonealarm after you get the multiplayer screen up and it will have no problems after. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Elbasunu
03-26-2004, 02:37 AM
I have the same issue, but I don't HAVE zonealarm. Launches that nice splash screen, attempts to switch resolutions,or refresh,or something, and then goes right back to DT.

Tunning on GF FX 5200 with 128ram
System ram is 256. Any other suggestions?

From Atrus Shard.
Danny on Katran Shard.

Aryeh
03-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Make sure you've freed up a lot of memory; EA games seem to always require that you kill a lot of background processes, at least when they first launch.

Also, multiplayer WILL NOT WORK if you have Teamspeak 2 open. Make sure to close that.

jbace
03-26-2004, 03:29 AM
So basically the problem seems to be process related.

To all persons having the problem:
Eliminate processes by trial and error and you can figure out how to maneuver around this problem.

Lure.
03-26-2004, 03:33 AM
Turn everything off on your desktop.. with Ctrl+Alt+Del if necessary.. then try to start it..

KGX
03-26-2004, 04:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fishnet:
instead of just disabling zonealarm completely try to find out what ports are needed to connect to ubisoft for mp and free those up.

if you cant.. then this will even add to the frustrations of gamers if to play online you cant have a firewall running.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The readme file mentiones the ports, but that doesn't work. There's something ubi overlooked here :\ Also, I NEVER had to speifiy port settings for anything on my PC except for my apache server. No game ever required me to manually set the ports. The exe file should be good enough to do this on their own. I hope Ubi makes a pacth before I get my CD key (yay...another fcuk up).